Why this casual player is taking an extended break

Consider this another open letter to the devs.  This is from a longtime (2 years) casual player who has reached the point of leaving, at least for a while.  

I consider myself casual with occasional bouts of hardcore play.  I have most 3* champed, none fully leveled.  No 4* fully covered. Yes, I have paid into the game (about $100).  

The reasons I have finally reached the point of taking an extended break have been piling up for a few months.  No one game change or event has gotten me to this point.  I'm hoping that the devs read this and consider this as they further enhance the game.  

In no particular order:
1. Repetitive characters.  Seeing 5* Doc Ock as the latest release was disappointing.  Not that I would have had a usable version of him on my roster.......ever, but it would have been nice to see Vulture, Lizard, Rhino, Scorpion, Shocker, or some other new character instead of one we already have in the game.  This comes right after a bunch of GoG repeats.  I knwo there are issues with Fox for X-characters, but not adding any any new ones from that section of the Marvel universe doesn't help either.  

2. RNG plus vaulting.  I have finally given up on hopes of getting some of my favorites covered to the point of being fun and/or useful.  Being casual means I don't get top rewards. CP, HP, and ISO come at a much slower rate than those competing for top positions.  RNG used to make getting preferred covers a painful experience. I wanted FalCap (I like the character) but would pull Riri (who I don't care for). Adding vaulting to the mix has made getting FalCap even more difficult, while making Riri more likely.  So the best strategic option is to not pull at all and hoard until I have enough CP to go on a binge and hope I get enough of a single character to make them useful.  Still doesn't guarantee it will be a character I want.  I spent hours getting enough CP for a pull, but now the game is encouraging me to hoard.  For a casual like me that means waiting months.  Not fun. Please consider doing away with RNG and let us build the characters we want rather than he ones we just happen to get.    

3. Speaking of not fun, I have went back and forth between PVE and PVP over the past 600+ days.  Now both have gotten boring.  Get to 575 in PvP and get hammered faster than I can win matches.  In PVE, replay the same boring matches against the same limited batch of opponents to the point that I'm not even trying to be good at matching.  It doesn't matter because I will win 99.9% of the time, even making poor game decisions.  Then repeat over and over again.  I do enjoy the events based on alliances.  Against a true challenge like Cacilies(?) or Thanos I at least have to use some puzzle skills.  

4. Playing on MY time.  I have a job.  I have a family.  I have other interests.  All of these affect how and when I can play.  Unfortunately, MPQ is set up in a way that it wants you put all those other things aside and plan you day (and sometimes night) around it.  

I understand you need to make money.  Maybe my money isn't enough for you to care about, but I wanted to at least tell you that I won't be putting any more of it into this game until some of these issues are addressed.  I am hoping that when/if I return there will be some positive changes.  If there are, and I enjoy the game again, I will start putting money into it again.  For now, I'm going to explore other options from other game companies.   

Comments

• Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    It is my opinion that they are losing a lot of casual players over vaulting.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    I've been playing since basically the beginning (except for a 6 month stint when life needed complete attention) at various high levels of play and feel the exact same way on it all. I've put in some money here and there but have always preferred to progress with time invested and targeted acquisition of covers.

The lack of a consistent, intentional progression for my 4* roster has been a lingering issue with me and the recent increased PVE requirements for CP turned me off completely to playing

I don't want to play for 2+ hours a day to make final progression to then play the the lotto for a 4* character in order to build my roster. They refuse to develop ways to progress a 4+* roster in a reasonable amount of time that doesn't use RNG or large sums of money. I'm sorry but top 10 PVE/PVP is not a reasonable way and 1 4* cover from the 40+ rotation in a PVE event is not going to resolve the issue. 

I took a break from it entirely last week and actually uninstalled it yesterday. I can't imagine why a newer player would want to play this game. The barriers to entry are too high and they feel like they are in a player base death spiral where they want to monetize as much as possible before the end.