Are there differences in speed between platforms?

Fightmastermpq
Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
I've long since felt that certain platforms/devices were faster than others, but it's hard to really get a feel on it due to differences in roster and scaling.  But with scaling eliminated we might actually able to quantify it a bit...or maybe I can just go put my tinfoil hat back on.

Anyway, for the second sub of Unstable ISO-8 (Mediterranean) please fill in the following.....

1.)  What SCL are you playing?
2.)  How long did it take you to finish your opening grind (start timers and stop on all nodes)?
3.)  What platform are you playing on (Android, iOS, Steam)?
4.)  What were your two most commonly used characters, and what level are they?
5.)  What device are you using?

I'm really only concerned with people playing competitively - basically trying to determine if people trying to finish as quickly as possible are in any way handicapped by the platform/device they choose to play on.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    I play pve on my emulator at home.  It has a "turbo" setting and I play on 4x speed.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    For a fair comparison, you'll need to have different platforms on the same device. Since there isn't any device that can run steam/iOS/android it's not going to be a fair comparison. Any difference in hardware could affect the speed
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    That's not true, Pongie. Movies play quite well on different platforms because the software limits the frame rate to a specific maximum and drops frames when necessary to achieve a specific minimum. Ideally, the minimum and maximum rates are the same, lol. 

It's not difficult to write game software that does the same thing, at least with respect to a maximum framerate. The question is whether it is also written to drop frames to achieve a uniform *minimum* framerate as well. If it is not then the game could indeed play more slowly in different platforms or different hardware configurations (eg. full speed on an iPhone 6, but 20% slower on an iPhone 5), or an entire platform might just play animations more slowly than another. 

Its a good question. 

EDIT - although it might be good for anyone performing this test to also report whether or not they are closing other apps before playing. Most people don't, and that can have a significant impact on performance on many mobile devices. 
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    I'm pretty sure your hardware is going to matter more than the platform you play on. Like a dual core is going to be outperformed by a quadcore, etc.
  • MarkersMake
    It should, Ducky - but there *are* some awful ports out there. Games written primarily for one mobile platform that don't get properly optimized (or optimized at all) when they are ported to another. 

I don't think it's the case here, but if only high end devices on one platform can reliably hit the normal framerates, while mid-range devices on another do just fine, there could be an optimization issue. 
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    I play on my 4 or 5 year old iPad and my Galaxy S7. Same account. To absolutely nobody's surprise, the game runs way faster on the S7.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    I play on my 4 or 5 year old iPad and my Galaxy S7. Same account. To absolutely nobody's surprise, the game runs way faster on the S7.
    I play primarily on an old iPad 2, because I like the larger display. But sometimes I play on my phone, an iPhone 5s. For further lack of surprise, the game totally runs faster on the phone, because it is several years newer.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Slice 2.8
    a slow 29 minutes (7th clear)
    iOS on iPhone6s
    Characters used: 3Thanos on easy, 5Thanos on hard, like everyone that has them.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Ducky said:
    I'm pretty sure your hardware is going to matter more than the platform you play on. Like a dual core is going to be outperformed by a quadcore, etc.
    Considering how awful the game performs compared to comparable games, I'd be surprised if it took reasonable advantage of even a 2nd core.

Solid multicore programming is hard. And this game doesn't even manage to keep track of all triggered passives.

Not to say that hardware won't matter (it certainly does play a large influence), but once you've reached a certain hardware threshold, you'll likely be held back by the code.
  • Coubii
    Coubii Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    I've played on 3 different android platform.
    Short answer is yet, there is a huge speed difference.

The hardware is a first difference. I've played on an old tablet and compared to my latest phone, there is no possible comparison. I'm playing 4x faster at least.
    But OS might also be. I've used android os from kitkat to nougat. At some point old os version might no longer work and newer os are optimized and can somehow improve app speed.
  • MarkersMake
    As an aside, I'd suggest an alternative method of testing.  

There is way too much variability across matches in an entire sub, and way too much playstyle variability depending on the characters used, let alone player to player. 

A better test would be to just do a few timed runs through the last event or two in the prologue. Obviously, some people will have already completed it, but that's probably going to have the fewest confounding variables. 

Actually, if you're really serious about this, you should recruit a few people to deliberately run through a few of the prologue events with some very low level characters, and record video of the matches. I know you can natively record the screen on some Android devices, so you could break it down some as well (avg time per move, per animation, banner display time, time between moves for the AI, etc). Using your phone to record the screen would work for steam players. Not sure about iOS, though.

That's a heck of a lot more work, though...  
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    1) SCL8
    2) sub1: 29 minutes, sub2: 26 minutes
    3) Android
    4) Thanos lvl 463, Dr Strange lvl 451; on hard nodes BB lvl 450 as 3rd
    5) RAM: 2GB
    CPU: Snapdragon 801, 4 cores @ 2.50 GHz
    GPU: Adreno 330 @ 578 MHz
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    1) SCL8
    2) sub1: 29 minutes, sub2: 26 minutes
    3) iOS
    4) Thanos lvl 450. I use various team throughout the whole pve run.
    5) iPhone 6 
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    SCL7
    Sub 2: ~24 minutes
    Steam 
    Thanos (3&5) + whatever fodder
    Laptop is a few years old, i forget what processor off top of my head.  Running Windows10

• udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm just here to say I hate all of you with your maxed 5* Thanoses and your 25 minute full clears.  I'd probably have to go down to CL3 or 4 to go that fast.  

But hey, I'm one cover away from being able to max 5* Steve, so I've got that going for me.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    1.)  1.8 
    2.) 29 mins. Final grind about 20 mins 
    3.)  IOS
    4.)  For this event Thanos (466), Medusa (boosted 427), OML/SS. Easy nodes Thanos and fodder 
    5.)  iPhone 7
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor

I've played it on the following android platforms, some custom roms, most stock android with up to date otas:

LG-G2

nexus 5x

nexus 6p

galaxy tab S2

galaxy S8

Theres a huge difference between just these platforms...  

Clearly a PC can scale up far beyond any other option, I've played games on emulators but by in large the emulators are horrendous...  I don't recall ever trying mpq out on an emulator but if I was going to absolute top speed I'd look into an emu on a pc...  its a non-factor for me though, as I do most of my playing in "mobile only" circumstances ;)

• Fightmastermpq
    1.)  What SCL are you playing?  SCL8
    2.)  How long did it take you to finish your opening grind (start timers and stop on all nodes)?  29 minutes
    3.)  What platform are you playing on (Android, iOS, Steam)?  Android
    4.)  What were your two most commonly used characters, and what level are they?  Thanos (466), Strange (467)
    5.)  What device are you using? Samsung Galaxy S6
  • Fightmastermpq
    As an aside, I'd suggest an alternative method of testing.  

There is way too much variability across matches in an entire sub, and way too much playstyle variability depending on the characters used, let alone player to player. 

A better test would be to just do a few timed runs through the last event or two in the prologue. Obviously, some people will have already completed it, but that's probably going to have the fewest confounding variables. 

Actually, if you're really serious about this, you should recruit a few people to deliberately run through a few of the prologue events with some very low level characters, and record video of the matches. I know you can natively record the screen on some Android devices, so you could break it down some as well (avg time per move, per animation, banner display time, time between moves for the AI, etc). Using your phone to record the screen would work for steam players. Not sure about iOS, though.

That's a heck of a lot more work, though...  
    Yeah, I thought about this as well.  I was just thinking that if I had enough data from enough people that we could start to at least see some trends that might warrant further investigation.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    1.)  What SCL are you playing?  SCL8
    2.)  How long did it take you to finish your opening grind (start timers and stop on all nodes)?  47 seconds
    3.)  What platform are you playing on (Android, iOS, Steam)?  Android
    4.)  What were your two most commonly used characters, and what level are they?  6* Dazzler and whomever
    5.)  What device are you using? Samsung Galaxy S6
This discussion has been closed.