Please add more fun!

Options
ridfrenzy
ridfrenzy Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
So with the introduction of standard as with a lot of other people it has removed a lot of cards.  It isn't for me personally because I think the approach is a bit heavy handed for my taste.  I really think they should've added some cards from the sets they removed back into origins.  It is stupid things like the land cards that no one has anymore as they were all in BFZ, it just makes everything so much harder and luck based now.

So I am going to start playing casually but there isn't a great deal to do.  I really miss QB, it gave you something to do/work toward.  I play more on Training Grounds then anything else at the moment, anything between 20-50 games a day.  The reason why is because I can play any decks and when you have a lot of cards most of the fun of this game is creating silly decks that are fun to play.  I never cared much about the runes, the cards you got from QB were nice but even that didn't matter that much.

It feels like I am playing 10% of the game at the moment and it is a former shadow of itself now.

Comments

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    By land cards are you talking about Sunken Hollow, Smoldering Marsh, Cinder Glade etc? or are you talking about the ones that just gave mana like Shrine of the Forsaken Gods?

Ammonkhet has equivalent cards. Sunken Hollow serves the same effect as Fetid Pools, Smoldering Marsh as Canyon Slough, Cinder Glade is Sheltered Thicket. As for Shrine, I think part of the reason that and so many other cards are gone are because of their comparative power level. That's the whole reason they implemented standard. Zendikar cards were powerful, then they made Innistrad more powerful to try to complete, dialed it back with Kaladesh, saw the resulting lack of sales and play, and implemented standard.
  • ridfrenzy
    edited May 2017
    Options
    All of the above, but that was just one example.  all the new land cards are locked behind RNG as usual and these are basic staples of many deck creation.  

Maybe I am just salty I can't use my whole collection but I honestly couldn't give a **** about playing standard so long as there is something meaningful to do with my complete collection.  Since the event rewards changed I rarely did objectives as I would rather play interesting decks, and by that I don't even mean OP decks, I just want to play stuff that is fun.  It isn't like I can't play competitively, I just choose not to coz it is currently like rubbing salt in my eyeballs to get 1% of a potential new card! Standard has destroyed this aspect for me completely.

Playing this game and just doing training grounds is ultra lame, but the events they have just aren't fun.  Even the PvE events are just dull, I do them to get the rewards but then just go do some more training grounds.

Wish they would just bring back QB or an equivalent where I can just grind and actually get something back for the time I am spending.  I think D3 forgot that people actually play this game for fun and not just rewards.
  • Skiglass6
    Skiglass6 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options
    ridfrenzy said:

Wish they would just bring back QB or an equivalent where I can just grind and actually get something back for the time I am spending.  I think D3 forgot that people actually play this game for fun and not just rewards.
  • Skiglass6
    Skiglass6 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think we do care about rewards. Otherwise we would not be asking for QB back. We currently have QB without rewards and it is called training grounds. I think they took QB away to get rid of the rewards and spun it by saying all their reasons. Everyone was complaining about the rewards being taken away and they still needed to take QB rewards away. If it was really what they stated they could have just added progression rewards for the first four wins.

I wish they would Bring Back Quick Battle with a rare reward/chance for mythic as top prize and 60 crystals.

BBQB
  • Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
     shteev said:
    Once again the toxic elite are making demands for the future of the game based on their narrow needs and interests.

There are tens of thousands of players of the game who don't require the game to be any fun at all, and, in fact, many of the silent majority are crying out for the game to made less fun, with more pay to win aspects, and an increased focus on grinding for no reward.

"the silent majority are crying out" :D
  • ynvoKK
    ynvoKK Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Options
    the problem is the never ending dupes and low (good) mythics chance
  • ridfrenzy
    Options
    shteev said:
    Once again the toxic elite are making demands for the future of the game based on their narrow needs and interests.

There are tens of thousands of players of the game who don't require the game to be any fun at all, and, in fact, many of the silent majority are crying out for the game to made less fun, with more pay to win aspects, and an increased focus on grinding for no reward.
    I like all the people claiming standard is good but I think that is only true if everyone has an equal footing.  Clearly not the case and standard really caters for the whales who can dump a ton of money and lord it over everyone else.  Lets see how people feel in a few months when all of their KLD/AER cards are made worthless and D3 gets you to pay more $$$ to try and be competitive with whales.  Most games allow you to work towards the final endgame without paying but standard eradicates that completely in one fail swoop.

I consider myself an ex-toxic elitist as I am pretty sure I am quitting now ;)
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ridfrenzy said:
    I like all the people claiming standard is good but I think that is only true if everyone has an equal footing.  Clearly not the case and standard really caters for the whales who can dump a ton of money and lord it over everyone else. 

Well, regarding our group of coalitions (the usual - one top ten group and several semi competitive / not competitive ones; rostering based on points etc) I see a different development : especially people who haven't spent lots of time in the top coalition stepped up since the introduction of standard. Some because they were very lucky with the cards they pulled, some because they've spent money, of course (no need to doom these guys - others of our p2w players needed to step back from the top coalition btw), but overall, the players being able to adabt best to changing circumstances are the ones who benefit most, regardless of their bank account. The mythic - loaded players with highly optimized decks are struggling more than newer players. True equality doesn't exist. But this system comes closer than I expected.
  • ridfrenzy
    Options
    Well they will likely feel the same ways as the older players eventually.  Unless they start adding some of the cards you have gained to origins the whole collection process is kinda pointless now.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The only really fun things right now are ToA (although its annoyingly enraged) and TotP.  Certainly not enough content to keep hard core gamers interested.

I like standard formats, but also wish there were more things to do with the rest of our collection.  Massacring Fateful Showdown in 15 minutes without adjusting my decks wasn't quite enough enjoyment.