Need higher odds of winning 5 star cover

Options
Xicey
Xicey Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
Everyone knows it takes time to build up command points. I spent 140 command points & not one 5 star cover. It's very frustrating that you put in all this time & money in the game & seems impossible just to get a 5 star cover anymore. I hardly even win any of my 3 & 4 star covers that I have marked as favorite.

Comments

• Markot
    Markot Posts: 84 Match Maker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I would really prefer guaranteed 5* to progress. They say 15% for 5* and I have pulled 5 out of 76 LTs this month, its 6.5% success rate for me. I'm tracking it since november. I opened 475 LTs with 15% odds (i.e. I'm not counting special tokens with one 5* and 10% odds) and I got 60 5* from it, it's 12.6%. The difference is already 11 covers. If their RNG really gives 15% 5*, those 11 covers were distributed between other players who have succes rate over 15%.
    I've got 0 bonus heroes out of 36 5* pulled since introduction of this future, with 5% odds I should have 1-2 of them.

Much better for me would be a counter for each type of LT which cycles 1-7 and everytime it reaches 7 it gives a random 5* cover (chosen from selection apropriate to type of LT) and on numbers 1-6 it gives a random 4*. Taken whole playerbase together they would give the same number of 5* as they give now (in fact slightly less, as it should be every 6.666th pull now) but it would eliminate not fair distribution of 5* covers among players.

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think a counter system should be added into 5* tokens but I would keep the randomenss of the 6 pulls (so 15% chance at 5*, 85% at 4*). Then the 7th pull from the given token selection (separate from Latest and Classics) would give the guaranteed 5*. This is reasonable if the 5* are not added into the reward pool (however if they are added as top1-5 it changes nothing). 

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The stated odds for receiving a 5* character from a legendary token is 1:7, so the odds of receiving no 5* characters from 7 pulls is (6/7)^7, which works out to around 34%.

That means that if three people each opened seven legendary tokens like you did, I'd expect that one would come up empty handed (of course, due to randomness, this exact scenario isn't guaranteed).  So you're unlucky, but not suspiciously unlucky.
  • Zappa
    Zappa Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Will never happen. D3 would rather spend time making the pop-up boxes look better than solve any of the major problems raised by the player base.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We also need a way to purchase a missing color for a 5 star without depending on rng. 75% of my 5s are a X/X/0.

And CS not allowing swaps.for classic 5s is straight up bull. 

@brigby  stop desperately need with the 5 star situation.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We don't even need higher odds... we need a non-rng way to get there. A way that shows if you work hard enough, you'll be guaranteed the 5* cover of your dreams (ie one that won't be a useless dupe).

And yes I know that you can spend "720 cp", but that's a lot of cp... either hundreds of dollars of investment or else numerous months. Imagine if I had spent 720 cp for that last oml yellow and then learned that it was going to be nerfed. I would have been even more upset!
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    how many CP would a 5* only (just classics) token cost? 100CP? It would be 105CP if you just multiply the 15% odds on a classic x7, but the 4* is responsible for some of that value.  Given how the CP will flow freely in SCL8 now, would that be an option for 5* players?
  • Xicey
    Xicey Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Yea this is getting crazy now. 225 command points & 2 latest legendary tokens & not one 5 star cover. The longer you go without getting a 5 star cover the better your odds should go up everytime or atleast till a certain odd number. On top of not getting a 5 star covers, I don't even get favorites more than half the time when I get 3 & 4 star covers from any kind of token. I'm always getting the opposite. I hope it gets balanced out a little better. Other than that you all made a GREAT, VERY fun game!! 
  • drayviper32
    drayviper32 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I would rather get more 4* characters since they are more essential to the game. I would rather get less odds of getting a 5* character. There is no room for characters that is not required for the game on my roster. Trophies collect dust.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    *Off to feedback*
  • fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I would rather get more 4* characters since they are more essential to the game. I would rather get less odds of getting a 5* character. There is no room for characters that is not required for the game on my roster. Trophies collect dust.

The problems, there are some (like me) who already have 30+ 4*'s championed, but I have _1_ 5* with 12 covers, 3x w/ 6-7 covers, and then 8x 1-4 covers (useless).  I would like to have all of the useless ones at least marginally useful to let me use them, because they look fun, but I'll never know, as I don't have enough covers to make them usable.

That's the situation where I imagine a LOT of us are in.

• seraphiel
    seraphiel Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Options
    fnedude said:

The problems, there are some (like me) who already have 30+ 4*'s championed, but I have _1_ 5* with 12 covers, 3x w/ 6-7 covers, and then 8x 1-4 covers (useless).  I would like to have all of the useless ones at least marginally useful to let me use them, because they look fun, but I'll never know, as I don't have enough covers to make them usable.

That's the situation where I imagine a LOT of us are in.

Use them? Why would you want to do that? What do you do with a hood ornament on a car, or the background picture on your phone?

These things are decorative. They mostly aren't meant to be useful. ;)
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mpqr7 said:
    Imagine if I had spent 720 cp for that last oml yellow and then learned that it was going to be nerfed. I would have been even more upset!
    This is exactly what I did. Saved up, champed, then nerf came and I sold him.

Things have worked out well enough that I don't miss him either, thankfully. He and Surfer on not on my roster and it doesn't actually bother me. I pulled a random classic OML and sold it for another token immediately, too.
  • Riguez
    Riguez Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what's the best way of getting 5*? I am asking because I really like Doctor Strange (for PVE at least, helps a lot wiping out goons and such), to the point where I have 3* Strange champed and fully maxed, and I have 5* Strange with only 3 covers (2 yellow and 1 purple, no blue yet).  I want to fully cover him but if I depend on just luck with Legendary Tokens then I'll probably get more yellow and purple covers than I can use before I even get a blue one.

Also, how do "whales" manage to be literally swimming in 5* covers? I mean, before they can even use CP to level up, they have to get AT LEAST one cover for each color don't they?

PS: My questions still apply regardless if you feel I should use any other 5* before Strange, it is the same logic anyways.
  • fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options

So Dr. Strange (not to be confused with Doc Oct), is only in CLASSICS now, so you'll never get him with Leg.Tokens, just spending 20CP and trying to get lucky with draws.

So the best option for you is to champ 3* Strange, make him your Bonus Hero, and get him up to lvl 266, so he'll rock-n-roll for you in PvE.

• Riguez
    Options
    Thanks! I actually did just that, I put him as a bonus hero some time ago (3*) and already have him at 266 so he's there pretty much breezing through PVE lol

But I'm still curious... let's say it's not Doc Strange (5*) but any other 5*... how do the "fully cover" them so quickly? It can't be just sheer luck that they happen to get at least one cover for each color for each 5* and then spend CP to level them up (and then again how to the get so much CP so fast).
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Riguez said:
    But I'm still curious... let's say it's not Doc Strange (5*) but any other 5*... how do the "fully cover" them so quickly? 
    Lots of money or lots of patience.

Money Method:
    Step 1.  Join a buy club so everytime you spend $100 you get 140 CP.
    Step 2.  Spend thousands of dollars until you have a ludicrous amount of CP.
    Step 3.  Spend CP until you get what you need, if you run out spend more.

Patience Method:
    Step 1.  Save all CP and LTs until you have enough to pull at least 300 Latest Legends.
    Step 2.  Pull from Latest Legends.
    Step 3. If you didn't get the right covers open a CS ticket to do color swaps to get 13 (they only do this for 5*s from LL).
    Step 4.  Start saving to open again the next time there are a fresh 3 or you have you 300 pulls again, whichever comes first.

I've never done either, working my way up the patience method now and might take a shot at it this Christmas, but this is my understanding of how it works.
  • Riguez
    Options
    Thank you very much for your answer... both seem like the only ways, I am also going for the "patience" method at the moment, so I guess I'll just have to keep playing as I'm doing currently! Thanks again!
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    how many CP would a 5* only (just classics) token cost? 100CP? It would be 105CP if you just multiply the 15% odds on a classic x7, but the 4* is responsible for some of that value.  Given how the CP will flow freely in SCL8 now, would that be an option for 5* players?
    I don't think they should sell such a token at all, make it a reward that can only be earned in events so that people have regular progression they can aim to get and if people want to spend then they would be no worse off than before when buying LTs rather than having a huge advantage.

There should definitely be a mercy timer on both 5* draws and BH's, they wouldn't have to be low enough to keep you dead on the stated figures, but should at least make it close enough that people do not get overly punished by RNG hating them.