How to Stop Thread Notifications?

Felonius
Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker

After a while the discussion in some threads becomes repetitive and stale, but the people in them continue dancing around the same topic hitting their heads against each other again and again.  To be clear:  I don't care, let them.  If they want to continue the exercise, may Gods Bless Them.  That's what Teh Intarwebs is for, yo!  But maybe I've long ago got bored with the topic.  Is there a way to stop getting notifications from that specific thread?

I know I can turn off updates from all threads, I've see that preference page, but there are still topics on which I want to be updated.  I just want to stop the "JohnSmith commented on BeatADeadHorseTopicF451 (05/22/17)" spam that hides the topics I actually do care about.

This wouldn't be an issue at all, really, if we didn't see that line-by-line notification on each comment, but rather just got one update per thread that "Discussion X was updated by 47 comments since last reading", or something similarly useful/succinct.

Comments

• Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    There are notification settings that you can adjust by going to your profile.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    Yes, thanks Ducky, as I mention in the OP, I've seen those, they don't do what I'm asking.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    edited May 2017
    You can't really have only specific threads send you notifications. I'd suggest using the bookmarks feature and checking them routinely until you are not interested in them. That may be the most efficient way under the new forum, unfortunately.

Edit: I think the Bookmark dropdown on PC will show you when they have had new comments added. I have no idea how it functions on mobile, though.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think you can do this via excluding specific threads.

However, if you are willing to bookmark the topics you're interested in seeing all updates for, unchecking "Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in." will result in you still getting notifications for:
    • all posts to threads you start
    • all posts to threads you bookmark
    • any posts that mention you (e.g. via quoting one of your posts).
    That's probably a more manageable number of notifications.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    As soon as I removed "All threads I have posted in", it got much, much better.

And there's no need to bookmark a particularly popular thread... you can just assume that it will have constant updates.

Plus on the main page, it tells you how many new messages there are since you last read the thread, so that could be the information you're looking for.