Shield training timer

Options
Anybody else notice the timer for the Shield training in prologue? Will it reset or are they doing away with it? Thanks.

Comments

• DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I can't be sure but in 'News and Announcements' section, IceIX said:
    Tournaments
    - S.H.I.E.L.D. Training is being turned into a portion of the new Seasons feature. S.H.I.E.L.D. Training's rewards will be updated as Seasons change from this point moving forward, so Agents can look forward to getting something other than a Wolverine (Astonishing) for high points progression ratings.

So I understand that if shield training is being turned into a portion of the Seasons feature, then the older shield training of the prologue will disappear.
  • so Agents can look forward to getting something other than a Wolverine (Astonishing) for high points progression ratings.

I guess that means Astonishing Wolverine was as high as they wanted users to get. Which explains why the reward structure was broken for 7 months.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Indeed, I think that this new shield training, embedded in tournament seasons, could be more meaningful than the old one.
    More motivation to fight as points are taken into account for season ranking (and if reward are more reachable)
    And a reset once a month to change rewards (I hope) and have a fresh new attempt
  • Hopefully S.H.I.E.L.D. Simulator will become the new persistent iso farm instead of the eternal tank-arena. We shall see.

Seen some already talking about using it to tank for 24 days then make a push at the last day, clearly this is not the intended purpose of this but may be the direction the meta takes it to.

Any ideas how to keep it a month long event and not a "ignore it till last minute and steamroll all the newbs" kind of event?
  • Hopefully S.H.I.E.L.D. Simulator will become the new persistent iso farm instead of the eternal tank-arena. We shall see.

Seen some already talking about using it to tank for 24 days then make a push at the last day, clearly this is not the intended purpose of this but may be the direction the meta takes it to.

Any ideas how to keep it a month long event and not a "ignore it till last minute and steamroll all the newbs" kind of event?

Remove point loss. Otherwise there's no reason to grind it early unless you want to quickly grab a Season progression reward.
  • What jozier said. With point loss in place, and the old shield vs going away, there is no reason to go for points until a day or two before the end.
  • Removing point loss would cause an entirely new crop of problems.

What if point loss was on a sliding scale throughout the event so there is almost no loss on day 1 and normal loss on day 25 getting in early would help with progressions but would still be a free for all towards the end
  • Removing point loss would cause an entirely new crop of problems.

What if point loss was on a sliding scale throughout the event so there is almost no loss on day 1 and normal loss on day 25 getting in early would help with progressions but would still be a free for all towards the end

The majority of people capable of reaching top progression in SHIELD Training don't need the progression rewards for SHIELD Training. Your alternative wouldn't do anything to remove the free-for-all ridiculousness that would crop up at the end, except that someone with deep pockets could run up the ladder maybe 4-5 days before the end, or before the rest of the playerbase shifts there, and then drop a 24 hour shield for 5 days.

It's pretty clear what SHIELD Training is: it's an Elite tourney but not labeled as such. For the enterprising individuals near the tops of the season ladder at the end, but missing crucial SHIELD training points (~1100-1500 or so) they'll have to shield hop like an Elite and grind up there to maintain their first position.

And in the mean time, newer players have a chance to grind up to some covers, especially once SHIELD Training starts rotating the available covers.
  • There are season progressions also icon_e_wink.gif

And I never suggested there would not be a free for all at the end, I was asking for ideas on how to make it advantageous to work on it throughout the month instead of getting all the benefits from it by participating only on the closing day.

And I never suggested there would not be a free for all at the end, I was asking for ideas on how to make it advantageous to work on it throughout the month instead of getting all the benefits from it by participating only on the closing day.

Farm ISO for a while, tank back down, rinse, repeat.

That's what I plan on doing at least.
    And probably play with a bunch of different teams to try out characters I don't get to use much for whatever reason.

Think about what you are saying, and then imagine if this tournament was formatted in such a way that you had to play every day to place well at the end. That would be the grind to end all grinds. I've been around long enough to remember when PvP events were week long affairs and they were dull as dishwater. I'm content to take this in the same light as I did with those - there's no need to worry about it being anything other than a mad dash at the end!
  • Droc76
    Droc76 Posts: 56
    Options
    The best plan for tanking now would be the seasonal sim or LR. The seasonal PVP will be where you get most of your points anyway. You could bomb out sim and still make it up at the end like you guys said.