MMPQ

therightwaye
therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
Failed the PvE event. In the sense that I jump in last minute hoping to be in the bracket of people who didn't play this weekend (like myself) . I was 477 of 500 and a full 40,000 points behind t100.  You win this time, lady luck. 

I love that the only functionally tactic in the competitiveness of this game is completely meta. 

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

I love that the only functionally tactic in the competitiveness of this game is completely meta.
    It's not.
    Join at the start, play your heart out, get T10.
    Easy.

If you decide to gamble on a fresh bracket, it's on you.
    It's definitely not the only functional tactic.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    The finish for my bracket was insane.
    I finished exactly 10th with 80,971, but first place had 81,353.

A mere 382 points between first and tenth. And I might have managed that if I had started my final run 10 minutes later on the second day. Maybe. Or if I did the run from lowest points to highest instead of the other way around.

Placement these days is bonkers.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    The finish for my bracket was insane.
    I finished exactly 10th with 80,971, but first place had 81,353.

A mere 382 points between first and tenth. And I might have managed that if I had started my final run 10 minutes later on the second day. Maybe. Or if I did the run from lowest points to highest instead of the other way around.

Placement these days is bonkers.

The beauty of putting all vets into PVE death brackets for years.
    Everyone who is left knows exactly how they need to play, which needs to very, very clumped scores at the top.

Apparently working as intended by the devs.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can usually manage t20 with a 3* roster if I really push, get my timing estimates on the final clears close, and don't mess up somewhere. Ended up at #25 in HoD even with a couple of mistakes that cost me the final clears on two of the wave Nodes.

The sad fact, tho, is that no matter how well everyone plays, 90% of the players are still not going to get even one cover for the new character during a release event, and 99% are going to fail to get a 4* during regular events. At some point, once enough people have solid rosters and good timing, that basically brings it down to luck, where even just a long cascade or something can prolong a match to the point where the time it takes can cost you placement.
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    t10 just doesn't worth any effort - play 6 clears all nodes so you can get all rewards from them(and get full progression + t50-100), that's all you need for steady progression. With vaulting even new character releases are worthless at t10. I finished cloak and dagger PVE top100. Got 1 cover. Right now i had them at 3/3/5 covers. Actually all 12 new characters are at 10-13 covers for me. And that just by playing the game without **** my pants for t10.
    To make top progression easily in pve you only need 1 cover of every character/ With 4* in progression it is easier now, then ever before
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    With last train jumping you won't do any steady progress. That's not the best tactic to play this game
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Bowgentle said:

It's not.
    Easy.

If you decide to gamble on a fresh bracket, it's on you.
    It's definitely not the only functional tactic.
    LOL funny.

T10 is not easy.  It's all based on time to play, if you can't play the game when the game requires you to play then you lose, period.  I've been playing for well over a year and outside of a few times in noob brackets early on I've never hit T10 and not for lack of 'play(ing) (my) heart out'.  The reason I can't is because I can't play consistently in any of time slices.  The weekend is the only time I can and low and behold I almost got T10 for the first time ever.  I ended 11th, I account this to going out to dinner with the wife Friday night and getting 1.5 hours late on sub 1.

The only way to win in PVE is to have no life, which I guess is appropriate for a comic book game.
  • therightwaye
    I've t10 a bunch of times. Primarily only when I'm focusing on getting 3 covers of a new character. 

I also know that while I can t25 a PvE with a lot of committed time, my alliance members can easily do the same thing by joining PvE within the last two hours or 40 minutes. 

That is a choice, I'm not so sure I'd call that at tactical choice. But it's a choice. A meta choice.

In short though, what I'm describing is the only way I can be more effective in the rewards that I receive is not how I play the match game, but how I play the system. That's meta gaming. 

• therightwaye
    Like with PvP. I the brackets I play, if you aren't lucky enough to join at a brand new bracket the t10 players have thousands of points. Are they really matching better than I'm matching? They aren't even more lucky. They are meta gaming, specifically playing some kind of hopscotch system of shielding and jumping over each other were they all gain points and no one loses points. 

No amount of playing the game well or lucky enough is going to matter. Its all the meta gaming. (In regards to placement. Progression rewards has its own strategies.)
  • therightwaye
    Jarvind said:
    Better solution: just forget about placement because it's a giant hassle and only realistically achievable if you have no friends, family or employer.

In all seriousness, though, it's just not worth it. I've done T10 for a couple of new releases and can say that it was 100% not worth the effort. This is doubly true now that new 4*s are so easy to cover.
    Yeah I only aim for t10 when I know I have evenings stuck at home without much else for entertainment. Like I'm on dad duty and the kid will be asleep. Watch my bad TV and play MPQ time. 

Otherwise I used to be able to at least get all the progressions rewards easily enough by playing while I'm sitting on the can or carpooling into the office. 
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    If you're going to snipe, at least go in informed. Join a bracket room on line or reference the spreadsheet or something. 

Also, you can't expect a good finish joining last minute if you don't play every minute of the rest of the event. 
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    If you're going to snipe, at least go in informed. Join a bracket room on line or reference the spreadsheet or something. 

Also, you can't expect a good finish joining last minute if you don't play every minute of the rest of the event. 

Too many people have intel on bracket flips for there to be any easy roads anymore...  In slice 4 SCL8 you can push to top 10 in a normal event with well timed clears if you don't miss doing it...  there have even been times where its doable missing your 7th clear, but just don't bother on new character events.... 

Honestly, looking at the bigger picture, t10 in a new character event is some of the worst effort to reward ratio around...  Even if you don't hit t100 and your alliance doesnt hit t100, you'll get the character in the next event with minimal effort, and for the next ~9 months its going to rain covers every time you pull CP/LTs.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards

Too many people have intel on bracket flips for there to be any easy roads anymore...  In slice 4 SCL8 you can push to top 10 in a normal event with well timed clears if you don't miss doing it...  there have even been times where its doable missing your 7th clear, but just don't bother on new character events.... 

Honestly, looking at the bigger picture, t10 in a new character event is some of the worst effort to reward ratio around...  Even if you don't hit t100 and your alliance doesnt hit t100, you'll get the character in the next event with minimal effort, and for the next ~9 months its going to rain covers every time you pull CP/LTs.

I would think people complaining about grinding would be pleased about that.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    If everyone could get T10... it wouldn't be T10.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,735 Chairperson of the Boards

This is so true.  Yet another example (daily rewards too) of the rewards not matching up to the new cover distribution model.  There should be at least 2-3 covers for new releases for T100 now, if they want to excite players.  I hit T20 with the R&G release without much effort (joined first thing), I think because players are relaxing their play on new releases.
  • therightwaye

To be clear, I'm not lamenting about the outcome. It is what it is. And I'm aware that you still need to play thoroughly to place.  Regardless of at what point you jump in. 

I'm commenting on the system. The idea of utilizing spreadsheets and chat groups just emphasizes the meta-gaming of this game. Which is what it is. It just so happens I didn't do so well this time around. Better than I thought though, I did end up with a single Gamora cover. So yay on that. 
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    sh81 said:
    Bowgentle said:

It's not.
    Easy.

Not easy.  Not at all.  Not until you have a strong 4* roster.

I dont.  I join at the start, I play my heart out, and I get T50.

Which makes my already strong 3* roster stronger, but does very little for improving my 4* roster to allow me to actually go for T10.

Boosts!! All ap boosts & damage boosts. Speed is the key to moving up ranks.