How do you like the new limited format?

Options
Waschecht
Waschecht Posts: 76 Match Maker
edited May 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
How do you like the new limited format where only the last two expansion sets and the Basti set can be used?

How do you like the new limited format? 65 votes

Yes, I like it. Finally some fresh air.
66%
gruntfacemadwrenspan_argomansjechuamixed bagVolrakTherosHomeRnkhurramScotcampMainloop25Dodecapodspeakupaskanswerbabar3355James13blacklotusDuskPaladinoctal9Corn_NoodlesLagartha 43 votes
No, I don't like it at all. All my top cards are useless.
27%
Gun Bunnyandrewvanmarleparasith77DragonSorcererklobbererPastrySpiderEglyntinevoodoo_gremlinlosdamianosEmanon2000ErikInVegasCapricorn907KingEliukifsandbuts_Daromax_ynvoKKTigerpawzKkkkkk 18 votes
I have no opinion about it.
6%
EDHdadFlaricusarNeroDamien 4 votes

Comments

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Who is basti? I thought JC designed the sets?

I like the format. It actually showed me some hidden gems in my collection!
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not enough options in this poll. I love the extra challenge in deckbuilding but hate that the mismatches in matchmaking have been taken to another level with Standard.

Plus, yknow, cycling needs fixing.

I am hopeful for where Standard will end up, but then again, when has being hopeful for anything worked as a strategy in this game?
  • Infested
    Infested Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    Love the idea. Really needs a fix for mastery.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @shteev - many of us were hopeful for deck slots, and less than 2 years into the game, we kind of sort of got them.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    EDHdad said:
    @shteev - many of us were hopeful for deck slots, and less than 2 years into the game, we kind of sort of got them.
    Sure, the lord giveth, but ee bah gum 'e don't half taketh away.

[edit] How are you finding the deck slots, btw? I'm very much still saving my decks as screenshots and rebuilding them.
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah, this poll needs more options.

I'm absolutely ok with the new format, BUT the fact that now they have 4 nodes instead of 3 feels too grindy. The old format's 3 nodes were just perfect.
  • Waschecht
    Options
    @shteev @arNero: you are right in that there are many more relevant questions on the New format. I didn't wanted to over engineer but get a snapshot of the people's view
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    shteev said:
    Not enough options in this poll. I love the extra challenge in deckbuilding but hate that the mismatches in matchmaking have been taken to another level with Standard.

Plus, yknow, cycling needs fixing.

I am hopeful for where Standard will end up, but then again, when has being hopeful for anything worked as a strategy in this game?
    cycling doesn't need fixing. it's the dev's gift to every player that don't have Baral or Season's Past or Rashmi. It's the ultimate playing field leveler since most can get non-mythic cards to do cycling well. :)
  • Yawgmoth
    Yawgmoth Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Options
    I'm enjoying the refreshment of building entirely new decks instead of just using the same most OP cards over and over, the limited format is more balanced and many cards can see play that wouldn't otherwise.

However I think this should be used in just some events and the majority should allow all the cards.

The limited format would be perfectly fine if we were just playing to beat other players' decks, but in most events we're either:

- playing not just to win but to complete objectives while the AI opponent doesn't care about them so we have to fight vs them and our own decks to stop ourselves from winning too fast because Enraged. 
    - playing imba huge PvE bosses. This is where we should have access to full collection.

both can be super frustrating when you don't have access to proper tools like card drawing or removal, most of which is missing in this format.
  • klobberer
    klobberer Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    No, I don't like it at all. All my top cards are useless.
    The new format is unenjoyable for me. I don't want to rebuild after a year and a half of perfecting my decks. It very MTG of them actually. I'm just about done with this game after being a daily player since launch.
  • Fiddler
    Fiddler Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If all the cards that are available were not broken, I might like it. I'm looking at you - Animist's Awakening!
  • AresOmega
    AresOmega Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Options
    I hate the new standard format. I started playing after BFZ was released, and did not get to the competitive stage until SOI. My Origins collection is severely lacking, and most of my best cards are SOI. **** off D3G, you **** me with these deck restrictions.
  • Waschecht
    Options
    Personally I like the new opportunity to create new Decks with suboptimal cards. it's quite satisfying when you defeat with a weaker decks a Samus with his full aresenal of mythical and rares :)

• THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like it for PvP but hate it for PVE. Looks like I'm skipping Trial of Zeal like I did with RatC. 
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like the format, but despise the deck management tools and options we have to quickly move between Standard and Modern.

• gillkonam
    gillkonam Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    For PvP, it would be fine if all the cards worked as printed, but for PvE, having a limited card selection to go against creatures whose hit point dwarf you own is a great way to stick your tongue out at platinum players.