New tiebreaking system

Options
Copioso
Copioso Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
So, this is the current situation in my bracket in gold for Trials of Patience (thanks to @Shteev for renaming it appropriately):

#1. Player 1 - 211
#2 Player 2 - 210
#3 Player 3 - 210
#4 Me - 210
#5 Player 5 - 206

But shouldn't the leaderboard appear like this?

#1. Player 1 - 211
#2 Player 2 - 210
#2 Player 3 - 210
#2 Me - 210
#5 Player 5 - 206

When this event started, it looked like the new tiebreaking system was implemented correctly (i.e., the leaderboard was displayed as in the 2nd scenario).
What happened, is it broken already?

Comments

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Didn't rank 2-10 receive the same reward? IMO, the tiebraker only comes to use when there is actually a tie for a reward
  • Copioso
    Options
    Yes, in this particular instance it was irrelevant since ranks 1-5 all receive the same rewards.
    But my point is: the leaderboard was displayed correctly at the moment the event started (see scenario no. 2 above), and then seems to have gone back to the previous (random) system at the end of the event (see scenario no. 1).
    Or am I missing something here?
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I think you have misunderstood how the new tiebreaking system works :)

Players don't share the same rank.

However, all players tied for a score, get the same reward as the highest player with an equal score.

So for example

Rank 1: Buddytheboss 211
    Rank 2: Duderguys 210
    Rank 3: lolggguy 210
    Rank 4: bugswhatbugs 210
    Rank 5: trolololsaruman 210
    Rank 6: legendarythopter 210
    Rank 7: BrianKibbler 210
    Rank 8: chubbywhiteguy 209
    Rank 9: anotherchubbywhiteguy 208
    Rank 10: Idontplaycontrol 207
    Rank 11: McDonaldfan 207

Those are the actual ranks, BrianKibbler is rank 7. However, since he is tied with Duderguys, who is rank 2, everyone who is tied at 210 points are all awarded the rank 1-5 prize.
    However, this does not make Chubbywhiteguy rank 3, he is still the rank 8 playar and so is qualified for the 5-10 reward, and NOT the rank 1-5 award.

Same story below, McDonaldfan IS rank 11, but since the highest ranked player OF THE SAME SCORE is rank 10, he also qualifies for the 5-10 prize bracket.

Hope that cleared things up for you :)

However, it does seem weird that the display of ranks changed, sadly that I cannot give you an answer for. Maybe the system screwed up, or maybe they just changed idea?

• Copioso
    Options
    @Thuran No misunderstandings here, the way this new system is supposed to work is clear to me, but thanks for the breakdown in any case.  :)

My doubt only concerns the change in the way ranks are displayed: to stick to your example, player legendarythopter seems to have changed (during the event, for no apparent reason) from being viewed as rank #2 to being viewed as rank #6.
    I hope this is only a graphical issue and does not affect rewards.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It seems to have broken since the update considering day one I saw the listing with multiple people ranked number 2 then the next one down the list from them ranked number 5.

Maybe they silently removed that because they thought they gave away too many rewards.