FIRF

Options
shteev
shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
FIRF has had somethign of a redesign, I see! Standard format, and 4 nodes.

I'd really, really like to be able to see what the nodes are in advance! Sitting around planning decks with my crew is fun. I mean, I know that we know what 3 of them are (unless they've changed), but that white one is new.

Comments

• Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    All yours buddy.

Red Node
    -Summon 5 or more Vehicles
    -Win the fight with 20 or less HP remaining

Green Node
    -Lose 2 or less creatures during a single fight

Blue Node
    -Cast 2 or less spells during a single fight

White Node (New!)
    -Cast 1 or less support during a single fight on
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oh, were they posted in the forums somewhere? Cheers!
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    They appeared in the Patch notes.  Just like they have pre-posted objectives for new events in the past.

You can also preview the objectives for the other new Trials events and the revamped Emergency Ordinances there.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm so incredible annoyed by this stupid, boring event. Just because a new node is opened and fresh bugs are implemented it doesn't mean the event could feel fresh.
    I liked the two events starting on day one!
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm so incredible annoyed by this stupid, boring event. Just because a new node is opened and fresh bugs are implemented it doesn't mean the event could feel fresh.
    I disagree.  The standard format should give this a breath of fresh air.  I've had to rethink my decks.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Well, I'll try it - at least for progression rewards - and maybe I'll change my mind.

• Ohboy
    Options
    Well, I'll try it - at least for progression rewards - and maybe I'll change my mind.

Rebuild your decks every event if possible. It's so convenient now that you can just build it from the event tab itself. 

You get to play new cards and ideas more. Substituting 2 cards out of your standard deck to meet specific objectives obviously makes anything boring. 
  • Delnai
    Delnai Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2017
    Options
    James13 said:
    I disagree.  The standard format should give this a breath of fresh air.  I've had to rethink my decks.
    No matter the format, doesn't change the fact that it's fundamentally annoying to be asked to summon 5 creatures in an enraged match. They seem to have learned this lesson in the blue node of the most recent Trial. I really wish they had taken Enrage off of this event.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They did take the enrage off the white node.... which is the only node I've been able to summon 5 vehicles to get the ribbons before my opponent was dead.

Side note, where are all the vehicles in my opponent's decks?? I put Kari Zev's Expertise in my red deck because it's a vehicle event, and this may be the only time it's useful, and so far, I've seen zero vehicles.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @wereotter- I can't speak for all other players in this game, but I'm just not going to chase after any unrealistic secondary objectives.  I'd rather attempt to build a functional deck first, and worry about vehicles later.
  • wereotter
    Options
    The objective IS a little much at 5 vehicles. 3 vehicles seems more realistic since the matches are enraged....

However, I will say that if you actually go all in on vehicles they're not that bad considering that as soon as you cast one, every other one gains mana making the next one a little easier to cast, filling more of them with mana, and so on. They kind of build momentum rather than just be immediately explosive. Only problem I can see is because you have to cast so many, and because the match is enraged, you're pretty limited as to which vehicles you can realistically use, and now all 4 nodes feel identical.
  • UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @wereotter I agree. 5 vehicles is definitely on the hard side. Still I like it. I am 1st in my bracket as of now and this event has proven to hold my best placements time after time. It feels more rewarding to get 7 ribbons on the nodes here than in any other event. Of course 4 vehicles would do too, but then the amount of people on the top would probably be too big for the devs to bear :) 
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wereotter said:
    The objective IS a little much at 5 vehicles. 3 vehicles seems more realistic since the matches are enraged....

However, I will say that if you actually go all in on vehicles they're not that bad considering that as soon as you cast one, every other one gains mana making the next one a little easier to cast, filling more of them with mana, and so on. They kind of build momentum rather than just be immediately explosive. Only problem I can see is because you have to cast so many, and because the match is enraged, you're pretty limited as to which vehicles you can realistically use, and now all 4 nodes feel identical.

Yep. Aside from the enraged nonsense, which I've shared my opinion on elsewhere, everyone flying the creativity banner seems to have a strange case of tunnel vision.

What was it Uwe said?

Your decks were, well, good. But there was nothing new or interesting to them, so winning against them both times felt just meh. 
    That's exactly how some of us feel about facing the same vehicles in every deck.  It's vanilla, uninteresting, and tedious. I'm glad that some people enjoy it, but it's a bit disingenuous to claim that putting together a FiRF deck is somehow getting the most out of one's deckbuilding skills.

• UweTellkampf
    Options
    madwren said:

What was it Uwe said?

Your decks were, well, good. But there was nothing new or interesting to them, so winning against them both times felt just meh. 
    That's exactly how some of us feel about facing the same vehicles in every deck.  It's vanilla, uninteresting, and tedious. I'm glad that some people enjoy it, but it's a bit disingenuous to claim that putting together a FiRF deck is somehow getting the most out of one's deckbuilding skills.

Not my experience - people will put 2-6 vehicle in their deck. The other cards vary in regards to the vehicle number. Some will go for 6 vehicles, and don't care about board control much, knowing that enraged will hit in soon enough. Other go for three vehicles at most, but want to be able to control the board at all times and also be able to destroy their own creatures which AI unfortunately very rarely does. And then there are those who are in for the balance, choosing 4-5 vehicles and some control.

Now within standard this has been shaken up a bit again even though the vehicles have stayed the same, there is somewhat less control possible overall. 

I agree that enraged is ****. Without the pressure the build possibilities would increase.

• Delnai
    Delnai Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    Options
    wereotter said:
    Only problem I can see is because you have to cast so many, and because the match is enraged, you're pretty limited as to which vehicles you can realistically use, and now all 4 nodes feel identical.
    Yes this is very annoying. It's even worse now that "Cycling 1" is a thing. All my decks are the same 4 vehicles, a couple of cycling cards, and then whatever other cards help me achieve the bonus objective. (Except the 20 or less life objective, 'cause I've learned my lesson: that's just too risky in these enraged matches. Though maybe without Olivia and Pig around anymore I should give it a try again?)
  • wereotter
    Options
    madwren said:

What was it Uwe said?

That's more a lack of variety in vehicles that can be used than an issue of deck building creativity, in my opinion. I do vary them up slightly depending on what planeswalker I'm using, and on which color, for example Dovin on my white node has Peacewalker Colossus because his first ability can generate the energy that this vehicle can then use to give all my others more mana, but I don't use that vehicle in other decks.

I think the problem with this event is more that they set the same secondary objective on all four nodes regardless of colors. The white and the red nodes could have been vehicles since those two colors have all the support for that strategy with cards like Start your Engines, and all the pilots to give vehicles added abilities. But after that, the blue and the green nodes could have gone another direction. Maybe energize for blue and fabricate for green.
  • UweTellkampf
    Options
    wereotter said:

I think the problem with this event is more that they set the same secondary objective on all four nodes regardless of colors. The white and the red nodes could have been vehicles since those two colors have all the support for that strategy with cards like Start your Engines, and all the pilots to give vehicles added abilities. But after that, the blue and the green nodes could have gone another direction. Maybe energize for blue and fabricate for green.
    I agree - maybe "Constructs" would have been nice too for a change.
  • Dropspot
    Dropspot Posts: 200 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I have no problems casting 5 vehicles. I usually put 4 in my deck, and only cast then when I have all five in my hand. And when I cast it opponent dies pretty fast. Crew help with it also I usually only have the first one fully filled all the others I let crew cast.

Other deck cards are control, drawing and mana.
  • Ohboy
    Options
    OK seriously. 

I have never had trouble getting 5 Vehicles out in firf. My problem was dying occasionally in red node. 

Are you guys just playing with 1-2 vehicles or something?