4* champ question

Options
Roland113
Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
edited May 2017 in Roster and Level Help
Hi all, 

So here's my situation, I have two four star champs, Nova and X23.  I'm missing only blue for a rainbow.  I have three options at this point.

I have Fury at 13 covers which would give me the missing blue, should I champ him?

I now have 13 covers off Agent Venom with one cover on the vine set to expire in four days.  Should I challenge him?

Final option, save my 400k in iso until an upper echelon character is ready to be champed?

Obviously no pressure on options one and three, I'm leaning towards three but wanted to get the communities opinion before the AV cover expires.

Comments

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Firstly - don't worry too much with the rainbow. That team is already decent if you need to run it often. Think how to accelerate them with a third character rather then finishing the color wheel. In 4* land it could be Carol D but in 3* land you have Scarlet, IM40, even Hood or Loki (squishy but can be helpful in PvE). You don't need an active power in each color to do well. And if you really want it - Dr Strange has a great blue active and would work well with the pair in many PvE events.

To be honest the blue in 4* land is pretty rare (in terms of top) - Iceman, Peggy, Punisher, Wasp - they would work best with your pair of champions. But none of them is in the tokens. 

Of your options - forget about option 1. He is old and slow. No need to go that way. Option 2 is kind of waste control situation but Agent Venom is not a top guy. You can champion him but he will not improve your gameplay much.

So yeah - option 3 is the best. Use iso to champion all 3*. Use iso to fuel a 2* farm and get it going (i have no idea if you are done with any of the steps). And keep building 4* with focus on top from the latest group (Carol D, Medusa, Coulson, later probably Rocket and Gamorra but they will be in packs in 2 weeks only). And keep plying the game. Don't worry if you have to sell a 4* cover - it's 1k iso (should be more but hell - it is what it is). We all have been through that. 
  • Roland113
    Options
    Sorry yes, to clarify I'm farming 2 star characters and I have all of the three star characters champed except 2 who are missing covers (Starlord and Sentry).  

Agreed on Carol and Wasp especially.  As soon as I get any of the top tier folk covered they're going to be champed without a second thought.

Thanks for the input.
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Your last response changes what I would suggest by quite a bit, since you don't really need ISO for anything other than 4*. I also assume you aren't close to fully covered on anybody other than Fury and Venom. I also assume you get about 30K ISO/day. 

If all of the above is correct, I'd champ Agent Venom. Is he top-tier? No. Will you continue to get covers for him for awhile? You bet. Will you be back to 400K ISO before you have to make another champing decision? Seems like it. Is he interesting to play? I can't answer that for anybody but myself, but I think so.

Sure, you'd rather have Carol or Wasp (or Coulson. or Blade. or, or or...), but this is what you have. I've made some bad champing decisions; but at the end of the day, I've not regretted champing any 4* since quantity is important. Having 2-3 champed 4* in a week is more important than which ones are champed. Even Fury is scary when boosted (both blue and purple hit really hard), which is more than you can say for the bottom of the 3* tier.

Good luck!

• bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I wouldn't champ Fury yet; although his blue is still decent, he's otherwise just not worth your ISO with his current power set.

I personally would also hold off on champing AV - I actually like him OK, but with a very small 4* lineup, he may frustrate you due to the AP limitations he effectively places on other characters. Additionally, he doesn't work at all with Nova since their colors overlap. Maybe read through his character thread for more opinions (they get more positive at the end of the thread as people fully cover him).

He's worth champing, but at your stage in the game, you are probably going to see a flurry of fully-covered characters in the not-too-distant future, many of whom are more powerful (or at least more versatile) than AV. I feel like you might have some regret if you spend a large amount of ISO on him now.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    I'd champ AV. He doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves since most people haven't had the opportunity to play him properly leveled/covered. He is TERRIBLE when undercovered, especially his black, but when fully covered with 5 black he backs a punch for just 5AP, especially when boosted.

AV is actually my only BH atm, that's how much I enjoy using him. Got him up to level 337 and counting!
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I found Agent Venom really useful in the war of attrition that was the Simulator. He takes a bit of getting used to, but is really versatile and fun to play with once you get the hang of him.

As a side note, your lack of an active blue could actually be an advantage when playing with him, as having a pool of AP in  a colour you don't need allows you to use him more effectively.
  • Roland113
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice.  There were a lot of good ideas in there.  Ultimately, I decided to champ him.  I think the final straw was that I got my 13th cover for spider woman and with some of the comments, realized that this is just for star land, getting that 13th cover and champing, then start building up the issue for​ the next one.  

Ironic side note, the legendary token got me a Mordo, but netted a bonus hero, 4Cyke... Now his 13th.  Once I get the iso I've got the blue that I was looking for in the first place.
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would run away from option 1.  Fury is way too slow.  I'd go with option 3.  Wait until you get a top tier character instead of wasting it on a mid tier.
  • Roland113
    Options
    Thanks Heybub.

I ended up championing Agent Venom and then got enough to champ Cyke as well.  I'm working on champing Spider Woman now.  Fury is still sitting at 13 covers.  If I get a fourteenth for him somehow I'll probably start building up the ISO to do him.  I'm mostly just working on championing any four star character when I get the 14th cover.  If I get to a lull when I don't have a cover rotting on the vine, I may consider Fury once I have a stash of ISO built up again.

Thanks again to everyone.