Prevent Damage Causes Immunity To Kill Spells [Fixed in 2.1.2]

Options
octal9
octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
Prevent Damage seems to have some sort of Schrodingers nonsense going on where creatures with it both can and can't be destroyed until the patch releases, at which point the waveform collapses and the truth comes to bear. 

Currently, creatures with Prevent Damage cannot be killed by destroy spells. This includes all of the new gods, creatures the round Avacyn comes out, and other times

Is this change intentional?

(also did you mean to give Undergrowth Champion Prevent Damage because right now he has it)

@Brigby (sorry man I know you get these a lot)
@Hibernum_JC (please!)

//Edited Title -Brigby

Comments

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just FMI,
    Does no killing spell work at all (grip of desolation ..) including non targeted spells (eliminate the competition,..) and killing spells on on disabled cards or only the ones killing by dealing damage (inner struggle,..)? Wasn't able to try it out now, but the differences are relevant IMO

• octal9
    Options
    Prevent Damage prevents non-targeted destroy effects. Disabled targets can be destroyed. Currently, if the creature is not disabled and has PD, it is indestructible. (UC is a special case: it still receives its -1/-1)

I dont have the exile MPs so can't test if they can be exiled. 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    @octal9

Do you have any example of this scenario occurring with specific cards? It might help the developers in identifying which aspects might have accidentally been changed during the update.
  • octal9
    edited May 2017
    Options
    1) Cast a card with Prevent Damage (Undergrowth Champion or any of the new God creatures)
    2) Attempt to kill that creature with a kill spell (unlicensed disintegration, scour from existence, smite the monstrous, etc)
    3) Creature lives
  • naphomci
    naphomci Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    For a concrete example: Opponent plays Avaycyn. I play Unlicensed Disintegration on Avacyn to stop my team from dying. The spell does nothing (but it used nonetheless) and Avacyn lives to kill my team.
  • Mickleberry
    Mickleberry Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I casted an Unliscensed Desintegration on one of the new Amonkhet Gods and it showed a "-0" in red as the spell resolved (the spell doesn't deal damage, it destroys the creature).

I would ask the devs if the coding for spells with "destroy target creature" equates to dealing damage to the creature an amount equal to its toughness. It would explain why the kill spells aren't doing anything to creatures with "prevent damage". It would also explain why several kill spells show, for example, a "-8" in red on a creature with 8 toughness when a spell such as Scour From Existence is cast on it.

Perhaps recoding "destroy" would fix it? And for good measure, perhaps replace a number with a red skull or something when a kill spell is cast on a creature? (Seriously, skulls are awesome, and they are universal symbols for death... or that something is endorsed by Johnny Depp.)
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Possibly related, but noticing that Tragic Arrogance gives prevent damage to the first two creatures, then destroys them all so the two live. However.... if your opponent has out Suppression Bonds, then you just have all three of your creatures destroyed because it's disabled, and prevent damage doesn't work anymore....
  • naphomci
    naphomci Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Sorry, thought I was in a different thread
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Understood. Thanks for the info everyone!
  • Eglyntine
    Eglyntine Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Options
    There is a new support with AKH that prevents all damage to creatures and PWs. It removes a shield instead of doing damage. This also includes destroy target creature spells. When I was playing the story mode intro for AKH yesterday the AI played a destroy target creature when I had that support out. It showed the -0 damage in red but did not remove my guy. 

Today in one of the events I went to destroy the AI's creature and freaked out when it did not destroy it but I got to looking at the supports and that particular one was out. Not saying you have not run into an honest bug, just mentioning my situation because with all the new cards now some might overlook the new prevent damage support.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eglyntine said:
    There is a new support with AKH that prevents all damage to creatures and PWs. It removes a shield instead of doing damage. This also includes destroy target creature spells. When I was playing the story mode intro for AKH yesterday the AI played a destroy target creature when I had that support out. It showed the -0 damage in red but did not remove my guy. 

Today in one of the events I went to destroy the AI's creature and freaked out when it did not destroy it but I got to looking at the supports and that particular one was out. Not saying you have not run into an honest bug, just mentioning my situation because with all the new cards now some might overlook the new prevent damage support.
    Gideon's Intervention