Phase Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2017
    Options
    very balanced
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Who let you out of jail, @shteev?

Finally we can play every card on turn one!
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Sorin, ritual, beyond, ritual, deploy... Rinse an repeat
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Szamsziel said:
    Sorin, ritual, beyond, ritual, deploy... Rinse an repeat
    Good thing that scenario can only happen in PvE....
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Best card in the game?
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Best card in the game?
    Steady on, now. We do still have Rishkar's Expertise.
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    Ok but what if we got a black/green pw? 
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Vraska, you have been summoned!
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    sorry, the vraska you are trying to contact is not currently at the phone, please try again next block
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vraska, you have been summoned!
    We're more likely to see another Garruk first since his whole story hasn't really been resolved yet. 
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dark Ritual looks terrifying, but hopefully the AI will use it to power up a 5-mana card which is already powered to full mana.

Hopefully a green-black walker is coming down the pike, so that people can use it to cheat Kessig Dire Swine into play.
  • EDHdad
    Options
    I just realized Kessig Dire Swine is rotating out of Standard, so Dark Ritual is practically worthless.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

How long does it take to design a MTGPQ card from start to finish?

Luckily the team at Wizards does much of the early skilled work in designing the card itself for the card game. For Puzzle Quest, it depends (mostly on the rarity and complexity of each card), but normally it takes me around half an hour to design a card, start to finish. That includes the initial design intent, integration, initial testing to ensure the card works and card text writing. Some cards take me literally 5 minutes to do start to finish (especially commons with no card text!) and some cards take over an hour (for complex Mythics that require a lot of tweaking).

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    EDHdad said:
    I just realized Kessig Dire Swine is rotating out of Standard, so Dark Ritual is practically worthless.

We can still put together Giant Spider decks.
  • EDHdad
    Options
    @shteev - thank you for that quote.  Now, whenever I'm being brutalized by a Mirrorpool triggering an Oath of the Gatewatch into Olivia, Emrakul and Pig (in that order), I can be confident that up to 5 hours of total design time went into my humiliating defeat.
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    Seriously? About a half hour to design, integrate and test a card? This explains so much. 

I suppose it frees up time to do whatever else is on his plate that day, which surely must be MUCH more important than card design. 
  • EDHdad
    Options
    Could be worse.  It could be Mirrorpool into Shahrazad, launching a new sub-game starting with a fully charged Deploy the Gatewatch into Olivia, Emrakul, Pig, then another Shahrazad launching a second sub-game where the opponent plays Deploy the Gatewatch into Oliva, Emrakul and Pig, but before dealing lethal damage, they cast a 3rd Shahrazad, starting a 3rd sub-game with Deploy the Gatewatch into Olivia, Emrakul, and Pig, then a 4th Shahrazad featuring Deploy the Gatewatch into Olivia, Emrakul and Pig.

You lose the 4th sub-game, cutting your life total in half (now at 60).  Then you lose the 3rd sub-game and your life total is cut to 30.  Then you lose the 2nd sub-game and your life total is cut to 15.  Then you lose the first sub-game and your life total is cut to 8.  Then you get back to the real game where you're facing a 15/15 berserker flying lifelink trample Olivia, a 20/20 berserker flying lifelink trample Emrakul, and a 15/15 berserker flying lifelink pig, all of your creatures are disabled, and every card in your hand costs 13 more than usual.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oh, so it's like every other Platinum game.
  • Urzashead
    Urzashead Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options
    Few of the other masterpieces are pretty sick. Wog is nice
  • Dsagent
    Dsagent Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Options
    shteev said:

How long does it take to design a MTGPQ card from start to finish?

Luckily the team at Wizards does much of the early skilled work in designing the card itself for the card game. For Puzzle Quest, it depends (mostly on the rarity and complexity of each card), but normally it takes me around half an hour to design a card, start to finish. That includes the initial design intent, integration, initial testing to ensure the card works and card text writing. Some cards take me literally 5 minutes to do start to finish (especially commons with no card text!) and some cards take over an hour (for complex Mythics that require a lot of tweaking).

Wow. That explains that.