How do you define progress?

2»

Comments

• dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    I define progress for me as ever deepening my usable roster to enjoy playing with new characters and combinations. I now have 20 4* champions with Medusa on the way next. I'm not really worried about others as I know there will always be those who play more or pay more. I will play until I no longer find it fun and then walk away amazed because a seemingly simple game has never held my interest for so long. Day 962 and counting.
  • RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    Progress for me would be having the strength to uninstall mpq and walk away for good. However i am week and cannot get off this hamster wheel.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards

With the way legendary tokens are now, it's extremely unlikely that I'll ever get a 4* character out of the Lv 270-280 range, so my "end game" is now getting as many 4* champs as I can while getting all my 3*'s to the 266 cap (my highest 3* is just about half way there).  That would give me a pretty substantial pool of characters in the ~255-280 level range and a lot of options for teams to use.  Therefore, every useable 4* cover and every 3* champ level is solid progress in my book.  I'm far more casual than most on the forum are, so competing at the highest levels isn't even on my radar. 

I don't really care too much about having every single character in the game, so that's raises new questions.  For example, I have a 3/0/0 Winter Soldier.  With vaulting and the long cycle for 4* characters through event rewards, is it even worth bothering to keep him rostered or would it be "progress" to drop him for a newly released 4* and use the saved hero points to purchase covers (either tokens or Heroes for Hire)?  I haven't quite decided, yet, but it's definitely something I've started to consider...

• veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Progress... hm, in games i define progress as a way how to get stronger, how to beat strong enemies, how to crush weaker ones. As grind of things that helps you.

This game fails at most points:
    1. - Scalling erases all forms of progress trough increase of power
    2. - Grind is pointless, especially after vaulting - most of covers you max out, next year you will never use. Except for nodes requiring specific character, but it is a small reward for such a huge cost.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Progress for me is having all the required characters for an entire weeks events in pve and ddq. 
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    In short, progression is applying a cover.

Be it adding a lvl to a champion, getting a char close to 13rd cover; boy, I love pulling 2* from standards and placin it on the farm.

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll go with "keeping up with the PvP meta".   Sometimes I progress well, sometimes not.  

Corollary to that is basically just about setting arbitrary roster goals and trying to achieve them.  Things like placement are so far off my radar now they barely register, so I gotta make up stuff to do.

• GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Progress for me is finding interesting character combinations that keep the game fresh. That means unlocking new characters and getting them to a "playable" state so I can fool around with them.

Vaulting is helping me enjoy the 4* game much more than I was before, because now I cover new characters much faster. I just wish that partially leveled 4* characters were a bit more useful than they currently are.

I'm not a big fan of the 5* game because I just don't think I can unlock and level those characters fast enough to keep the game interesting. That could change though.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Progress for me is being able to level and champ different characters. it may be 3*, 4* and 5*. as long as i champ a new character i will play around with it to learn the mechanics. 

the buff system allows me to feel that i have progressed. when a 4* is buffed and is used often in the pve, i feel happy. 
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Progress for me is finally developing my roster to the point where I'm seeing more of the veteran forumites in my section of the PvE leaderboards and getting some tough love from them in PvP. I've been at this since Nov 2013 but never really played in a way to cross any of the forumites' paths (read: uber-casual). Now that I'm seeing more of you (board vets) in game, I'm thinking I'm moving along like I should. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, I have different tiers of progress:

Daily Progress: Level Up a 4* using at least 30K ISO
    Weekly Progress: Add new 4* covers and maybe champ someone
    Monthly progress: Get closer to the 5* transition (more LTs and CP and Latest Champed 4*s)
    Yearly progress: Transition to 5* land and then quit the game

The irony here is that I'm planning to quit the game, so why do I keep playing?
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    I like to advance characters and I'd like to level a 5* if I didn't know that I'd be punished for it with higher scaling.

So given that I am working on 4*s and mostly ignoring 5*s.  
  • therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    MPQ Progress: One step forward before the five steps backward