Anyone miss moonstone's old black?

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
There are an awful lot more unique cooldowns in the game now.  Anyone else occasionally wish they could bring some old moonstone black temaups and steal a thanos green CD or a carol black cd?

Comments

• We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    Can you explain, I wasn't around for this
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Oh, back in the day, her black didn't just steal pedestrian things like strike/attack and defend tiles. It stole enemy special tiles :). With the number of special tiles in the game now, could be fun times!
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wasn't around when this existed, but I've seen other players who were post here saying it was extremely buggy and unreliable, and that's why it was limited to Strike/Attack/Protect tiles. 
  • dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    It use to steal count down tiles, but was extremely buggy on the back end. It was fun to steal sniper countdown tile and have it blast them to nothing 
  • wingX
    wingX Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    The problem then was that her black was very expensive, at cost of 17AP.

Old Moonstone's ability:
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/790/moonstone-dark-avengers-pre-2015-05

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah her black was interesting that you could steal XFWs yellow CD and heal yourself. It was also the most expensive stun in the game.. 17 AP to stun for 2 turns.

Her purple used to be better too because it was cheaper, think 5 AP, and you could choose 3 special tiles to move instead of the random **** that rarely works.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Her purple would be infinitely better if you could choose both tiles to be swapped instead of just one.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Not really. It was super expensive and as much as I hate the Dark Avengers I only ever use them in DDQ. What I miss is what old XFW used to be.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    snlf25 said:
    Not really. It was super expensive and as much as I hate the Dark Avengers I only ever use them in DDQ. What I miss is what old XFW used to be.
    not in the sense that it was good.  Just in that it was a unique mechanic that is now no longer present in the game. 

Obviously we would get more use out of a pre-nerf Thor, or a pre-nerf OML, or a post-buff, but pre-nerf XFW. . .
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    *off to Character Discussion we go!*
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd be in favor of bringing this back in some form, if I wasn't so totally certain that attempting to implement it would cause massive bugs any time countdowns were in play.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    That was the reason why they changed it - the decks were sick of having to account for Moonstone stealing any new countdowns they created.

Fun fact: goons that can heal themselves used to have "true healing". After the character healing nerf, they only get "burst healing", even though it makes no sense for them. This is believed to be because Moonstone could have stolen one of their CDs and true-healed herself or her team. They really were thorough...
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards

While it was fun to occasionally steal a Lv395 Muscle Threaten or Tommy Gun back in the day (especially when community scaling was still in effect, so 1-2 transition rosters were hitting 395's by sub's ends, at least on new releases), Moonstone's black is WAY more useful today.  And that doesn't even get into the fact that the AI typically would steal more useful countdowns than a player could, as a player didn't have goons to spam the board.

In addition, after Moonstone lost the ability to steal countdowns, it seems like countdown tile use got significantly more creative in newer characters.  4* Star Lord, Wasp, Coulson and others would likely be fundamentally different if they had to be designed to account for Moonstone possibly stealing their tiles--for programming reasons alone if not others.  Thanos' purple alone would likely be a programming nightmare.

CNash said:
    Fun fact: goons that can heal themselves used to have "true healing". After the character healing nerf, they only get "burst healing", even though it makes no sense for them. This is believed to be because Moonstone could have stolen one of their CDs and true-healed herself or her team. They really were thorough...
    I never knew that, although I think I only stole a healing countdown once in the entire time I had Moonstone with her old black ability...and she was my first maxed 2*, so I probably used her more than she was worth using.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, not really. I mean, the new version isn't exactly stellar, but... 17 AP? I think I resolved that power about 3 times total, and only got the CD tile to resolve maybe once. And I think it was Blast Arrow? Not that exciting.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, it was really wicked hard to actually do.  The Devs were kind of sad to see it go, because it was so unique, but it drastically limited what CDs could do because it had to be accounted for every time.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Not only was it ridiculously painful to get that many black AP (because I'm pretty sure the best black accelerator 3* Iron Fist didn't exist back then), but the randomness of the power meant you would probably not get the countdown that you really wanted (Hitman Covering Fire instead of Sniper Rifle? Gee, thanks).