Whats the plan with 3*s ?

MissChinch
MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor

Does anyone know if there was an official stance on the 3* vaulting in terms of rotating characters? 

We have half a million whine/celebrate threads pertaining to vaulting, I'm hoping to avoid that for 3 or 4 posts, I am just curious as to the plans with the 3* vault...  I vaguely recalled some notion of the heroes rotating in and out, but I cant find an official stance on it...  Seems plausible with the rate of epic and heroic tokens, but I'm curious if anyone has anything official?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    This was the official announcement of bonus heroes, which explained the "vaulted" character rotation for both 3* and 4*: https://d3publisher.helpshift.com/a/marvel-puzzle-quest/?s=gameplay-tips&f=what-is-bonus-heroes

That post was not very clear regarding 3*, however, there is a player-made thread that unofficially projects the order of removal from tokens: http://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/658510#Comment_658510
    There's still no official word on this (AFAIK) so there's really no guarantee as to which 3* stay in tokens or for how long. I think the 4* rotation is locked in but I don't know that I'd plan around a 3* being available.

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, the available 3s were "chosen" by the development team because of reasons, which also doesn't mean that a new crop of available 3s couldn't be chosen at a moments notice.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I also thought that the 3* vault would rotate at first, but now I don't think it will. It says the 20 are initially chosen by the devs, and then new ones would kick out the oldest.
    Doesn't say anything about rotating.

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Straycat said:
    I also thought that the 3* vault would rotate at first, but now I don't think it will. It says the 20 are initially chosen by the devs, and then new ones would kick out the oldest.

Old ones being replaced by new ones = rotating. Slowly rotating, certainly.

If you define rotating as "moving 2-3 vaulted characters into the rotation and moving 2-3 non-vaulted characters out every season" then, no, I doubt that will happen. That was really the part of the previous vaulting 'solution' that was the worst: you'd get a 3* character to 10 covers and then it would rotate 'out' for some undetermined period of time.

Increasing the churn is fine for those of us who have all 44 3*s rostered and mostly champed (given a fast enough churn, on average we get all the characters just like before) but for new players trying desperately to boost what they already have it could really suck to lose 8-10 3* characters out of their tokens to be replaced with 8-10 'new' (but not really new) 3*s who they have no roster slots for.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Straycat said:

Old ones being replaced by new ones = rotating. Slowly rotating, certainly.

If you define rotating as "moving 2-3 vaulted characters into the rotation and moving 2-3 non-vaulted characters out every season" then, no, I doubt that will happen. That was really the part of the previous vaulting 'solution' that was the worst: you'd get a 3* character to 10 covers and then it would rotate 'out' for some undetermined period of time.

Increasing the churn is fine for those of us who have all 44 3*s rostered and mostly champed (given a fast enough churn, on average we get all the characters just like before) but for new players trying desperately to boost what they already have it could really suck to lose 8-10 3* characters out of their tokens to be replaced with 8-10 'new' (but not really new) 3*s who they have no roster slots for.

So, Spider Woman and Luke Cage will be retiring at the end of the month...

What you mention as the worst part of the previous solution is exactly what is being touted as favoring the new player and making things easier in 4* land this time around.  (I'd assume this would be even worse if you apply it to 4*s as you get far more pulls of 3*s than you do 4*s)

I'm in agreement that it sucks to have a character retire without getting it to 13 covers when you had the chance.

It sounds like if "rotating" was mentioned they really meant that all the 3*s they arbitrarily decided would be retired are going to stay retired and never be found in standard, elite or heroic token pulls. 

I appreciate the answers, thanks.