Noob question about championing

Options
jtsings
jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
I've been following Polarity, I guess outdated, but very useful discussions regarding transitions between 1* to 3* and I have a few questions about champing that I just haven't been able to find in the forums.  (Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot I guess)

1)  When you champ a 2*, I've read you get covers, ie hawkeye gives IM40 covers but how are those covers given, when you pull a hawkeye card from a recruit deck?

2)  Is that the only award from champing a character the 3* covers or do you get something else?  (Either 2* or I suppose 1* as well)

3)  If I have a pretty good selection of 3* characters already, is it really necessary to champ my 2*s?

Anyone that has a good link to a discussion regarding the process and/or benefits of champing or can answer these questions I would really appreciate it greatly!
Tagged:

Comments

• Uthgarprime
    Uthgarprime Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You get a different reward for each level of championing.  3 3* covers, 5 heroic tokens, 5 CP and a bunch of ISO plus other rewards.  Once you champion a character you can see their rewards on the rewards button on their screen.  Alot of players run a 2* farm, once a 2* hits level 144, they start a duplicate and sell the max level champion once the duplicate is fully covered. The rewards are worth doing this.  I would recommend championing all 2 and 3* characters. There is a post about all the rewards but since the horrible forum update, I am not sure where it is. I am sure other will weigh in with other information.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Champ Rewards thread is here.
  • jtsings
    edited May 2017
    Options
    You get a different reward for each level of championing.  3 3* covers, 5 heroic tokens, 5 CP and a bunch of ISO plus other rewards.  Once you champion a character you can see their rewards on the rewards button on their screen.  Alot of players run a 2* farm, once a 2* hits level 144, they start a duplicate and sell the max level champion once the duplicate is fully covered. The rewards are worth doing this.  I would recommend championing all 2 and 3* characters. There is a post about all the rewards but since the horrible forum update, I am not sure where it is. I am sure other will weigh in with other information.
    Ok, that actually makes more sense then.  The rewards thread I have looked at before but I wasn't really clear on all the benefits of champing a character.  I could see that you could get covers for a 3 star characters but nothing about iso and HP for reaching different levels.  Sounds like to me I should concentrate more on keeping the really strong 3* characters and use the rest of my roster for farming 2* characters then.

A few more questions, then, that arise regarding champing a characters then.

1)  I have a full covered 2* Thor but he's not at the ideal build I would like him to be at.  If I champ him will he be locked into his build or can I still switch him from 4/5/4 to 3/5/5 even if he's champed?  Thanks for both of your responses so far Uthgarprime and Alexis :smile:

2)  Should I wait til I have a whole team of champable characters ie Daken/Thor/Storm before I champ any other characters for fear that I might mess up my PvP difficulty?  For instance, I could champ a Ms. Marvel but since she's not part of an ideal team would it be wiser for me to wait?  (The only character I can't champ yet is Daken)
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sh81 said:
    Once a character is champed you can rebalance their abilities as you please, as many times as you please.

And you don't need to have covers in your queue to do so either. It's one of the main perks of champing someone in fact.
  • jtsings
    Options
    Great thanks for the info sh81 and Quebbster!
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You also asked another question about who you should champ; the answer is "Everybody, eventually". If you're already at max covers, it costs 5K ISO to champ, so it's not a huge tax, and in return you get the covers, HP and CP that the others discussed over time, as well as the ability to re-spec. Also, every 2* cycles through the PVE essentials,

Also, having as many of the 2* champed gives you more viable ways to construct teams, which allows you to cycle through a larger stable, which limits the use of health packs if nothing else. For example. you mention Ms. Marvel; sure, she's near the bottom of the 2* tier, but you're going to see a lot of Bullseye in the coming months, and she's effective at removing those pesky protect tiles. She also has high health for 2*, and she can tank red and black for torch (of course, so can Moonstone, who's another character who has her uses, but is nowhere near the top of the 2* tier). 

Finally, I wouldn't worry about PVP scaling a whole lot. At some point you'll move from the newbie brackets to the rest of the world, and it'll be a long time before you'll be able to get big rewards from PVP. It's still valuable; a 2* roster can get to 200 or 300 with the associated rewards pretty easily, but scaling is a problem for a later day.

My 2 cents; good luck!

• jtsings
    Options
    abominatrix said:

Also, having as many of the 2* champed gives you more viable ways to construct teams, which allows you to cycle through a larger stable, which limits the use of health packs if nothing else. For example. you mention Ms. Marvel; sure, she's near the bottom of the 2* tier, but you're going to see a lot of Bullseye in the coming months, and she's effective at removing those pesky protect tiles. She also has high health for 2*, and she can tank red and black for torch (of course, so can Moonstone, who's another character who has her uses, but is nowhere near the top of the 2* tier). 

Thanks Abominatrix. I went ahead and champed Storm, Thor, and Ms. Marvel.  I almost have enough iso to champ Moonstone but I think I'm going to wait till I get a couple more covers for Daken.  It may just be a coincidence because I have a fairly high buff in PVP, a 134 level IM 40, but I met my first experience with seeing a five star covered opponent in PVP.  I don't think my 3 star 5 cover IM 40 has any chance against a 18k health Thanos, so it seems a bit unbalanced, but at least I should be able to get 2 star covers even if I can't reach the 400 mark for the 50 HP.  Thanks again for the great advice :smile:
  • abominatrix
    Options
    Great!

One note - Just because I said good things about Marvel and Moonstone, don't forget that the top of the 2* tier is the top for a reason. You already have Thor champed, but make sure you get OBW and Wolvie champed as well. OBW and Wolverine pair so well that I still use them every day for the low level DDQ nodes (along with Torch, depending upon the state of the farm), and you'll get use out of them even as you're transitioning to the 3* level. 

Good luck!

• jtsings
    Options
    Thanks for the further advice, I have enough covers but running low on ISO to champ Wolverine but I'm short of a blue cover to champ OBW.  My how the ISO disappears when you are champing a character lol :wink:
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jtsings said:
    Thanks for the further advice, I have enough covers but running low on ISO to champ Wolverine but I'm short of a blue cover to champ OBW.  My how the ISO disappears when you are champing a character lol :wink:
    You have no idea.
  • jtsings
    Options
    jtsings said:
    You have no idea.
    Yes, I've heard that's a problem with most people in this game.  lol

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm fondly remembering the days when it seemed like I waited forever to pull together 67000 ISO to level a 2* character... It's almost quaint, now.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And then once you do get most of a given star level champed, you go through a lull where you're mostly just adding levels through covers, and you wonder what you're ever going to do with so much ISO. Then you start getting into the next star level and it all disappears overnight.
  • abominatrix
    Options
    You have that right... A couple of months ago, I had almost 2 million ISO and was smug about how my 4* transition was coming. 

Today, I have several more 4* champs (16 total), not enough ISO to champ another, and I'm holding Patch covers in my queue because the next level of patch will give me a 14th Xforce Wolverine cover that I'm not sure I want to use.