The disappointment that is the "Suggestions and feedback" subforum

Skrofa
Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
I used to enjoy visiting and sometimes posting in that subforum.
As of late, however, I find myself to be quite reluctant to click that link.
Why? Because there are SO MANY great suggestions by players about how the game should progress and move forward!

But, that's a good thing, right?

Well, despite the reassurance we got that our suggestions are being read, we have none that they will/might/could be implemented.

I get it that each suggestion should take into consideration both sides of the game. Namely, player satisfaction and company's profit. However, many of the suggestions given might not directly increase profits, but player satisfaction will most definitely help in that regard in the long-term.

Happy customers do tend to come back for more by my experience.

That said, that subforum could have a much better and more constructive view.

Devs could drop by and say something like
"Hey boys and girls, we are thinking to do this and this for this character/event. What's your take on this idea?"

Now, OBVIOUSLY there will be a lot of unusable feedback BUT amidst that there will certainly be a lot of good, constructive arguments, tweaks and so on.

The devs don't spend as much time playing the game as we do! Players seem to understand the intricacies of the game much better than the designers, which is... quite normal actually.

Try to listen to us! Try to ask us! There are plenty of people with great ideas here!

The vaulting system could be in the works for a month or two before its implementation. My suggestion? Give us a reasonable amount of time to discuss matters with you and then implement based off of that feedback!

Implementing and then reacting months later is not good practice now is it?

Comments

• blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Same, it makes me sad to visit that sub section and see all the great potential ideas... it just serves as a reminder of how much better the game could be
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agreed. I just don't think the devs realize that a majority of the forum users are actually adults with professional careers. There are alot of technical, accounting, and other business type players who actually do think about both sides. We all understand the game needs to make money so yes I wish they would listen to us a bit more. Even if they say "Great idea, it could take ___ amount of time" then fine.
  • Steellatch
    Steellatch Posts: 85 Match Maker
    I sold part of my first company on shark tank but with they listen to my advice on the store pricing? Not a chance.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    They read it (allegedly) but never bother replying...        it honestly feels like a waste of time posting there, can't they just assign someone to read those ideas once a week and replying? That would not even take an hour...

Or you know, If I were to be more cynical, they just really don't care about our ideas (i.e. vaulting) and they'll keep on doing whatever the hell they want as they tend to do.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    If the the suggestion isn't: I got a great store/vault idea that will make real cash they don't care.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I kind of wish the Devs would take a look at how Games Workshop has started doing things. For years, they were insular, didn't pay attention to customers, no interaction, just did what they did. Over the last couple of years, they've opened way up, and started communicating far more, getting feedback before major changes from some of the top level players/organizers, all that sort of thing, and it's totally revitalized the community and interest in their Games. I've never seen the 40K blogosphere or forums so positive since the company actually started paying attention, even if the results aren't always what everyone wanted.

Seriously, the game updates, the constant bugs, the balance issues, the resulting atmosphere on the forums, it all reminds me so much of being involved with 40K before GW opened up.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    If the the suggestion isn't: I got a great store/vault idea that will make real cash they don't care.
    That's why some suggestions like "colorless covers" aren't going to happen. The bind where you've got a character at 5/5/2 and one of the first two covers on the vine and are tempted to spend resources to acquire that 13th cover? That's good for them. RNG is part of the business model, because people are inclined to spend to get extra chances or to mitigate "bad luck", you know?

Some suggestions are decent ideas, but then you get "more free stuff for the players" that doesn't consider the business model, and thus will probably never be seriously considered by the devs.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Devs don't post on the forums because when they do the community treats them like garbage. Stop fostering such a toxic online environment and their participation may increase.

Yeah, that's the official line.

However, I don't remember Kabir or Anthony being treated like garbage when they were posting a few months ago.

So it's a bit of a vicious circle - lack of communication fosters a toxic environment which keeps the devs from posting.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think in general the majority of us treat Brigby quite well. We are appreciative of all his posts and the information he provides, even if we don't always agree with everything that is stated. We appreciate all of the open communication and updates.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 said:
    I think in general the majority of us treat Brigby quite well. We are appreciative of all his posts and the information he provides, even if we don't always agree with everything that is stated. We appreciate all of the open communication and updates.

Brigby is not a developer.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Devs don't post on the forums because when they do the community treats them like garbage. Stop fostering such a toxic online environment and their participation may increase.
    I wonder why the community react how it does...  maybe its the general attitude of the devs to not listen to anything and keep pushing their ideas no matter how much people dislike them.

Its not even a dialogue so it might be for the best they dont post anymore.

It gets quite old reading "we really value your feedback" yet most of it goes totally ignored... even simple things that would never affect their bottom line (say, a remove all boosts button!).

If you dont want to engage your user base and this is/should be a part of your job, that's on them. Not on the users, and this only fosters the negativity around here towards the devs.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl said:
    I wonder why the community react how it does...  maybe its the general attitude of the devs to not listen to anything and keep pushing their ideas no matter how much people dislike them.

Its not even a dialogue so it might be for the best they dont post anymore.

It gets quite old reading "we really value your feedback" yet most of it goes totally ignored... even simple things that would never affect their bottom line (say, a remove all boosts button!).

If you dont want to engage your user base and this is/should be a part of your job, that's on them. Not on the users, and this only fosters the negativity around here towards the devs.
    A few things here:

You assume that the devs don't listen. Not implementing every suggestion doesn't mean they're not listening.

There's no way that every suggestion could be responded to by a dev. They're busy developing the game.

It's actually @Brigby who has the job of interacting with the playerbase. The dev's jobs are to develop the game.

That said, I agree with the sentiment that more dev involvement would decrease the toxicity of the forums.
  • Partyof5
    Partyof5 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    edited May 2017
    Customer satisfaction is not as important to them as customer addiction.  RNG + addiction is how they make their money. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    They don't reply to suggestions or feedback individually because of the precedent that would set:

"My idea with no red name comments is obviously a bad idea compared to the 3 that I found that have red name replies." So now they have to reply to every idea, even the ideas that A) They've already had and B ) are the same as an idea they've already commented on.

So now every suggestion gets a red name comment. But now, some of the comments are more positive than other comments. Clearly there's blatant favoritism going on because this other guy always gets good red name feedback on his feedback, and I only get "thanks". So now they have to just use a scripted message to reply to everyone's feedback that amounts to "thanks for your feedback, we read it"

So now every feedback thread has the identical red name reply. So within a day someone claims that the devs have made a bot that just goes through the forum and auto-replies to every thread, and that no one is actually reading the suggestions. That thread quickly spirals out of control into 50+ pages of negativity, things get said, mistakes get made, people get banned, and everyone is unhappy.

So then they stop posting in the suggestions at all. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would be nice to see a spin, like the DEVS post a suggestion, and we give feedback. Like some of the surveys they've sent out about new modes and stores and characters, just do it on the forums, you know?
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor

I think it would be worthwhile to find out a few things first:

1- (total unique forums accounts that have posted in the last month) / (total unique active users of the application)

2- Gross sales of HC, gross sales of ISO, gross sales of health packs, gross sales of VIP membership

Sure, folks with the right background here could make educated assumptions on whats more or less feasible (though never underestimate how "tinykittied" a code base or change management can get)  but I would assume that it'll be extremely apparent from the information above that having "design by open web forum" isn't cost effective.

Communication could be better, Brigby does a good job, but I think the expectation people seem to have would require someone more active in the design phase than what Brigby seems to be...   Not a knock on him, if its not a full time job herding this kaka, its a full time annoyance equivalent.

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    I look at the feedback forum like a fountain that people toss coins into and make wishes. Yeah, you might get what you asked for, but even if you do, you'll never have any way of knowing if your coin made any difference.

Partyof5 said:
    Customer satisfaction is not as important to them as customer addiction.  RNG + addiction is how they make their money. 

Man, I want to disagree with this, but it's kinda hard, particularly given how many F2P games openly embrace the "pay us or go pound sand" model.
  • Eichen
    Eichen Posts: 176 Tile Toppler
    "It's actually @Brigby who has the job of interacting with the playerbase. The dev's jobs are to develop the game."

I agree that Brigby is the one that is supposed to interact with the playerbase but the Suggestion and Feedback section should be monitored by a Dev.  They are the ones developing the game they should see the suggestions first hand.  A suggestion could be really simple and only take a line of code and make a whole lot of people happy.  Brigby won't know what is easy to do and what is hard to code.  A suggestion could go right along with something that is already being worked on and integrated in easily but Brigby wouldn't know to pass that one idea on.