Give players some (more) control over the 3,4, and 5* characters they get from tokens

Jaedenkaal
Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
I posted this in the 7 Answers to 8 Questions about Vaulting thread, but the more I think about it the more I think it deserves its own suggestion thread, so here it is, as a response to the non-answer regarding leveling evenly, acquiring "essential" characters, and gaining champion levels:

What if players could choose to swap out some (half? they likely won't go for all) of the available 3,4, and 5* characters in tokens for characters of their choosing? Doesn't really even have to be champions. Their token draws could be the 6 newest 4*s, plus any six 4*s of their choice. This could be could tied to SCL8 or 9 if there's concern that it's a more complex feature, which it absolutely would be. I'm not even sure bonus heroes would be necessary at this point, although I've become rather fond of them.

I don't know how feasible a "build your own token" system would be, although it seems like a reasonable "best of both worlds" given the little amount of thought I've put into it. 6 newest characters are just as plentiful as they are today, and the other 6 are presumably exactly what you want, so at the absolute worst your tokens are 50% wasted (cover color notwithstanding, which an independent issue) and that would seem to be a rare case to me.

The other bonus about this system is that is also addresses the issue with 5* dilution at least a little. By this I mean, we'll be reaching a situation very soon where there could be 13 or more 5*s in Classic Legend tokens, and I really hope that Demi won't simply be removing Silver Surfer from the token altogether, since there's literally no other way to acquire him (ok, there's daily resupplies.)

I presume they'd leave Latest Legends alone under this proposed system (3 newest only) but then you'd still be able to pick which 5*s you see, to some limited extent, in the Classic Legends, along the same lines. So the "dilution" caps at 12, as decided for 4*s, but never gets worse.

Comments

• moss04
    moss04 Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    I've proposed something very similar to this around when they first started vaulting.  A kind of a favorite system.  You could have essentially the same method of selecting your 6 favorites as you do for selecting your bonus hero characters, but perhaps it's something like a star in the other corner that when you tap it it turns green.

This really the only solution that can work for everyone.  I hope it gets traction.

If implemented for 5 stars as well, I personally would like to see latest legendary tokens go away and just have 1 legendary token that has maybe 3 latest and 6 favorites or something like that.
  • Jaedenkaal
    If implemented for 5 stars as well, I personally would like to see latest legendary tokens go away and just have 1 legendary token that has maybe 3 latest and 6 favorites or something like that.
    Well, for someone who is only waiting for the newest 5* (not me by a mile) that wouldn't be an advantage, but sure, for most people this would accomplish the same thing with one fewer token type.
  • ABaker84
    ABaker84 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    This would definitely solve a lot of problems. I'm less then a year into the game, and I can't get Peggy, Rulk, War Machine, Ice Man and several others. And to be honest, I don't care for this new cloak and Dagger that I keep getting, Wasp seems cool and I have 5 covers, but now she's out of the pack (example of why vaulting sucks) 

This is a fantastic idea. 3 latest 5*, 6 latest 4* and 6 4* of your choice. I'd even be OK with it being necessary to have to rotate them every so often (every season?) So at the worst, you bank all your pulls till you can reset pack to the way you want it. 

Totally love this idea, hope it gets more support. 

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, for someone who is only waiting for the newest 5* (not me by a mile) that wouldn't be an advantage, but sure, for most people this would accomplish the same thing with one fewer token type.
    So, worst case scenario, it's exactly the same as it is now, and everyone who's not in that situation, it's better for them.
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    I don't understand either why they need to push the newer characters down our throats. I want to upgrade my favorites, like Bucky or Quake, not another Agent Venom. I understand that making money is the ultimate reason behind all decisions, but if the price for the older characters would be the same as for the newer ones, why not give us some packs where we can earn/purchase them? The bonus characters don't cut it, since there are too few of them for 4*. Buying one cover for 2500 coins is also too much, since I'd need about 12 to champion Winter Soldier, for example! Even the vintage heroic is out- I don't miss it though; the 4* were too rare anyway. Getting older 4* from a 20 stars pack would be more fair.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Well to keep the game going they have to be promoting the new stuff rather than the old stuff. Otherwise, what would be the point.

Sure, there would be no disadvantage to players to be able to pick all of the 3/12/20 available characters in the various pools, but I acknowledge that demi is unlikely to swing that far. Halfway is my compromise for the purposes of the suggestion. 
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Get rid of the 5% bonus heroes. Just make it so the tokens only drop characters that you have as your favorites. This way we can control who are/aren't in the tokens
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 249 Tile Toppler
    It would be nice if they could do an anti-buddy list, where you could choose maybe your top five that you do not want pulled.  

It could be implemented by tapping twice on the heart.  Tap once it adds to your buddy list with a yellow heart, the second is a broken red heart that blocks those covers that make you die on the inside.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Pongie said:
    Get rid of the 5% bonus heroes. Just make it so the tokens only drop characters that you have as your favorites. This way we can control who are/aren't in the tokens
    Yeah that won't happen. I only have Red Hulk selected as a bonus hero, so every 4* I pull is Red Hulk? Not a chance.