groot dialog in french

Beztor
Beztor Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
should read '' je m'appel Groot''  not ''je s'appel Groot'' but  ''je suis Groot'' sound more accurate 
thank you 
Tagged:

Comments

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Actually this is how it was dubbed into French in the original movie. The "mistake" is there on purpose. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

Also, they don't care about other languages.

German has been horrible since day one, and hasn't gotten any better, with broken skill descriptions, extremely weird Event names, etc.

They just don't care enough to spend actual money on translations.

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magic said:
    Actually this is how it was dubbed into French in the original movie. The "mistake" is there on purpose. 
    as a translator, this really bothers me...  "Je suis Groot" is a much better translation.
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle said:

German has been horrible since day one, and hasn't gotten any better, with broken skill descriptions, extremely weird Event names, etc.

You're so right! My favorite translation is "Dumme Diebe" (Stupid thieves) for "Thick as Thieves".
  • ajfahre
    ajfahre Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Bowgentle said:

You're so right! My favorite translation is "Dumme Diebe" (Stupid thieves) for "Thick as Thieves".
    At least they got the alliteration on the "D"
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:

Actually "thick" in english can be used to mean stupid, so it's sort of a pun on the normal phrase "Thick as Thieves," which is used to mean "closely allied with". So it sounds like they at least translated a possible meaning, without preserving the pun, which might not have been possible. I'm a little rusty on german idioms related to thieves, I'll admit.
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle said:

Actually "thick" in english can be used to mean stupid, so it's sort of a pun on the normal phrase "Thick as Thieves," which is used to mean "closely allied with". So it sounds like they at least translated a possible meaning, without preserving the pun, which might not have been possible. I'm a little rusty on german idioms related to thieves, I'll admit.
    Well, back in school days our they´ve told us that "to be thick as thieves" means "to be tight friends with someone". If I assume that they were right, german idioms like "Wie Pech und Schwefel" or "Dicke Freunde" would have been more suitable translations.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah I think the joke with ""Thick as Thieves" is that MPQ makes out the Maggia goos to be pretty dumb. So in english you could also read it as "Stupid as Thieves" in the same way as "Thick as a brick" ie dumb as a post.