**** Rocket & Groot (Awesome Mix Volume 2) ****

Options

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have both Grocket and Gamora set as bonus heroes. I want them both champed but can't help but feel like it would be a better idea to focus one at a time. Who's the better character between the 2?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus said:
    The explosion animation sometimes fails to trigger. I don't like that.
    When it causes you to win, presumably. First world problems? ;)
  • ValekBoss
    ValekBoss Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Anon said:
    I have both Grocket and Gamora set as bonus heroes. I want them both champed but can't help but feel like it would be a better idea to focus one at a time. Who's the better character between the 2?
    Imexus said:
    Anon said:
    Grocket. Definitely. Because that's what I did.
    Gamora has one selling point: the insta-kill, but you'll likely not trigger it before the enemy is half-dead anyway so.
    Grocket: 
    1500+ damage boost at start, a 6000+ AoE attack with lots of free AP generation, 1200 passive damage + constant attack tile generation.
    I agree.
    R&G is a powerhouse on its own, the strike tiles are crazy when boosted and even more when joined with another GOTG on your team.
    I have them both as champion and having more fun with R&G then Gamorra..
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I saw more people start using 4*R&G + 4*Gamora teams in Simulator today, so I decided to come up with a counter team.

4*Deadpool + X-23 work really well against 4*R&G since X-23 can tank and true heal herself (especially with 5 red), meanwhile any damage will activate Deadpool's black, dealing damage back to them. There will be many black cd tiles from Deadpool's black, so the 3rd member could be:
    - Coulson for free AP
    - Drax for even more damage
    - Carol for buffing tiles (might not be ideal, since it'll take a while before you'll get to create strike tiles with X-23) 

or you can bring Medusa, since X-23 will tank purple for her. Keep collecting purple to heal yourself then use Medusa's purple to steal those strike tiles. 

I could beat 4* R&G team with this team, even though my Deadpool isn't champed and his black isn't even at 5 cover. It should be much more effective when my Deadpool is champed with 5 black. 
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    himatako said:
    I saw more people start using 4*R&G + 4*Gamora teams in Simulator today, so I decided to come up with a counter team.

4*Deadpool + X-23 work really well against 4*R&G since X-23 can tank and true heal herself (especially with 5 red), meanwhile any damage will activate Deadpool's black, dealing damage back to them. There will be many black cd tiles from Deadpool's black, so the 3rd member could be:
    - Coulson for free AP
    - Carol for buffing tiles (might not be ideal, since it'll take a while before you'll get to create strike tiles with X-23) 

or you can bring Medusa, since X-23 will tank purple for her. Keep collecting purple to heal yourself then use Medusa's purple to steal those strike tiles. 

I could beat 4* R&G team with this team, even though my Deadpool isn't champed and his black isn't even at 5 cover. It should be much more effective when my Deadpool is champed with 5 black. 
    And you never considered how that early boosted damage will activate Thing's passive?
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    zodiac339 said:
    And you never considered how that early boosted damage will activate Thing's passive?
    Oh, I have but my Thing isn't fully covered and underleveled, unfortunately. :( I also prefer keeping Deadpool's black going since it helps taking out someone like Medusa or Peggy really fast.

I'd like to try Thing + Wasp too. Converting protect tiles from Thing's yellow so that you can activate Thing's yellow again sounds like it could be fun! (though you need enough yellow for both strike and protect tiles on the board)
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    himatako said:
    zodiac339 said:
    Oh, I have but my Thing isn't fully covered and underleveled, unfortunately. :( I also prefer keeping Deadpool's black going since it helps taking out someone like Medusa or Peggy really fast.

I'd like to try Thing + Wasp too. Converting protect tiles from Thing's yellow so that you can activate Thing's yellow again sounds like it could be fun! (though you need enough yellow for both strike and protect tiles on the board)
    Yeah, Thing and Wasp. Medusa a basically obvious third, since you don't even want to use blue AP, so the three of them provide all the color use you need. Cloak and Dagger is an alternative, feeding black to Wasp until you switch over, then providing yellow for the tile flips.
  • SpecSpecter
    SpecSpecter Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options

Just out of curiosity, just how broken would it be if certain characters from the comic that legitimately joined the GotG in the comics (either temporary or long term) were registered as such in the game?

I'm talking the likes of Agent Venom, Thing, Iron Man, and (the real kicker) Captain Marvel.

I mean strictly speaking I can see them not doing it for Iron Man or Captain Marvel (as that would make her even crazier), but Thing and Agent Venom really probably should count I think.

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Set him as a bonus hero a month ago, still 0/3/0.

Meanwhile I've gotten like 5 Mordo covers in that time

RNG is a fickle mistress.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2017
    Options
    himatako said:

- Coulson for free AP

I'm still waiting for my last cover on X-23, with 2 green covers ready to go to waste if I don't get one of the other colors soon. Was also thinking to use her in combination with R&G, since all those strike tiles make X-23's purple 6 AP to fire. Add Gamora and you'll be a pain in the **** for all the teams, not just the mirror :wink:

But that being said, I think the best team for R&G would be with Carol & Star-Lord. Strike tiles & CD that will up the values of stikes. Rainbow team, with 2 powerful green AoEs, AP reduction, good on both offense & defence. 
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2017
    Options
    mexus said:
    Kishida said:

I think the widespread consensus is 3/5/5. It's interesting, because Welcome to the Team runs a little counter to the other two powers. It's instant damage, made even more ridiculous paired with, say, Medusa. (In Shield Sim, I was downing at least one enemy usually no later than 3rd turn.) Their other two powers require a little more time to get going. Blue is nice, but it costs a little much for a tile that might be easily matched away. Green has potential to be matched away and self-damage, but the free match every turn makes up for that, I think.

I can only speculate, but I think teaming them up with Coulson & Drax would be bonkers, though likely weak on defense. The obvious Carol & Coulson pairing seems crazy as well.
    While this is true, it's also most and highly likely that those strike tiles will be matched away within just a few turns. The blue skill / Rocket's Pack, can possibly also be matched away of course, but it's also possible to throw it out again if that should happen (hence, I'm calling for a 5/3/5 build)
    I tried them with Medusa and Gamora (3*) in the Shiel Simulator and yes, indeed, this was absolutely bonkers (bonkers at 3 yellow covers, super-bonkers at 5 yellow covers).
    7 tiles would require at least 4-5 turns to be eradicated from the board. In that time, you will lose one of your heroes if you fight against it, at the rate of 2000 minimum damage a turn. Trust me, I tried it, and I lost in no time. The opponent also had Medusa.

Blue is very good when you have it on the board, but it's really expensive and I personally don't think the trade-off is worth it. Also if you rely on the strike tiles, the damage numbers of blue won't matter, because the strike tiles will get bigger numbers anyway. That's why the combo with Medusa works so well. It doesn't matter the damage of her passive, just that it fires as an attack tile and double's the damage that you inflict in that turn. 
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Is there any 3* that give R&G as champ reward right now? 
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    talleman said:
    Is there any 3* that give R&G as champ reward right now? 
    No, the team has not updated the 3* champion rewards (and they may not for quite some time). 
    There are definite needs/requests for this to happen, and many logical changed to be made.

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,112 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    After using him boosted for the past couple of PvE rounds,  boosted/champed Rocket and Groot v2 has taken over the title of "Game's Best Cheat Code" from boosted/champed Jean Grey.  I'm getting 4200 extra damage a match from the strike tiles he generates on turn one when paired with (an also boosted) Drax.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, 4R&G is the focus of most of my frustration with PvP. The SHIELD sim is especially lousy to play in because of how ubiquitous they are there, and that used to be one of my favorite arenas to play in. They've also sucked the joy out of PvE, because using them is mandatory for a 4-star player in SCL 7 or 8 due to the speed needed to compete for placement. 

The thing is, I can't claim 4R&G is overpowered. They're not. In fact, alone, I find them to be a rather bad 4-star and there are counters against their strike tile generation in PvP situations.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Yeah, 4R&G is the focus of most of my frustration with PvP. The SHIELD sim is especially lousy to play in because of how ubiquitous they are there, and that used to be one of my favorite arenas to play in. They've also sucked the joy out of PvE, because using them is mandatory for a 4-star player in SCL 7 or 8 due to the speed needed to compete for placement. 

The thing is, I can't claim 4R&G is overpowered. They're not. In fact, alone, I find them to be a rather bad 4-star and there are counters against their strike tile generation in PvP situations.
    I’ve climbed to 2000 the past few seasons using them only a handful of times. I just use them so much in PVE that I want to try something different.  I’m about to champ my 50th 4* so it’d be silly to limit myself to just three characters. Though this season I’ll likely be using them a lot more as I need to find out who pairs better with Grocket/Guardian: Medusa or Nico?

I agree with your assessment of them and them not being OP. Not even close. Other people just need to switch their teams up. I feel Grockmora are SO prevelant that playing them puts a target on you since they are so common everyone should have a team to deal with them ready to go

Mine is X-23/Deadpool/Medusa.
    * X-23 takes strike/attack tile damage triggering Deadpool’s Countdowns which cripple/take out Medusa
    * X-23 heals back up from tanking and Medusa heals.
    * Match away strikes while focusing on Gamora
    * Use Medusa Purple to steal remaining strikes
    * Once Gamora dies, Grocket alone with no strikes is easy pickens
    * Use Deadpool Red to heal up and finish the match. 

• Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options

In the meantime, a Grockmora player has won two more matches.

Grocket aren't so prevalent because they're unbeatable, they're just way faster than anything else on offense against every kind of team. That's why they're king of PvE.

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They counter themselves equally fast in PvP partnered with Carol and Rhulk.

Make sure Rhulk makes the first match so he's out front. He'll start spewing out passive anger countdowns, which Carol will use to buff Grocket's tiles, which then makes the anger countdowns even more damaging. These matches are generally over after 2-3 turns. You'll go through a health pack about every other match, but at least you can burn through a bunch of Grocket/Gamora/Medusa teams quickly and hope you get something else in your nodes.
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Can someone explain what is Groots fascination with matching purple? Purple is their second weakest color.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    They counter themselves equally fast in PvP partnered with Carol and Rhulk.

Make sure Rhulk makes the first match so he's out front. He'll start spewing out passive anger countdowns, which Carol will use to buff Grocket's tiles, which then makes the anger countdowns even more damaging. These matches are generally over after 2-3 turns. You'll go through a health pack about every other match, but at least you can burn through a bunch of Grocket/Gamora/Medusa teams quickly and hope you get something else in your nodes.
    This post has been unbelievably helpful. I still use X23/Medusa/Deadpool if I want to preserve packs and don’t mind a long match (essentially climbing). But if I want a (much much) faster win (essentially hopping) this team is bananas at the cost of only a single pack. Love having two counter teams with no character overlap. Very helpful, thanks!