**** Rocket & Groot (Awesome Mix Volume 2) ****

Cthulhu
Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
edited May 2017 in Character Details

Rocket & Groot (Awesome Mix Volume 2) :rocket:

4 Star Rarity (Legendary)

At Max Level: HP: 13995 74/85/12/4.0/13/65/11/43

Rocket’s Pack 12 :blue: AP

Rocket zips around the battlefield with his new Aero Rig, blasting any poor schmo that gets in his way.  If there’s not one already, creates a Blue Countdown that activates every turn, dealing 148 damage and creating a strength 56 Black tile.

• Level 2: Deals 268 damage and creates a strength 65 Black Attack tile.
  • Level 3: Deals 296 damage and creates a strength 93 Black Attack tile.
  • Level 4: Deals 361 damage and creates a strength 149 Black Attack tile.
  • Level 5: Deals 851 damage and creates a strength 187 Black Attack tile.
  • Max Level:
  • Level 3: Deals 578 damage and creates a strength 180 Black Attack tile.
  • Level 4: Deals 704 damage and creates a strength 288 Black Attack tile.
  • Level 5: Deals 1662 damage and creates a strength 360 Black Attack tile.

Welcome to the Team 0 :yellow: AP 

(PASSIVE) Welcome to the frickin' Guardians of the Galaxy.  At the start of the battle create 3 strength 51 Strike tiles.  If there is another member of the Guardians of the Galaxy on their team create strength 79 tiles instead.

• Level 2: Creates 4 strength 56 Strike tiles or strength 84 Strike tiles instead.
  • Level 3: Creates 4 strength 65 Strike tiles or strength 107 Strike tiles instead.
  • Level 4: Creates 5 strength 68 Strike tiles or strength 124 Strike tiles instead.
  • Level 5: Creates 7 strength 68 Strike tiles or strength 143 Strike tiles instead.
  • Max Level
  • Level 3: Creates 4 strength 126 Strike tiles or strength 207 Strike tiles instead.
  • Level 4: Creates 5 strength 131 Strike tiles or strength 239 Strike tiles instead.
  • Level 5: Creates 7 strength 132 Strike tiles or strength 276 Strike tiles instead.

Don’t Push This Button 10 :green: AP 

What?  No!  That’s the button that’ll kill everyone!  Creates a 3-turn Atomic Bomb Countdown tile that deals 820 damage to the enemy team.  If it’s matched away, it deals 676 damage to the enemy team and 232 damage to your team.  

This power becomes I Aaaaam Groooooot!

• Level 2: Deals 1192 damage to the enemy team.  If matched away, deals 926 damage to the enemy team and 353 damage to your team.
  • Level 3: Deals 1516 damage to the enemy team.  If matched away, deals 1204 damage to the enemy team and 445 damage to your team.
  • Level 4: Deals 2308 damage to the enemy team.  If matched away, deals 1741 damage to the enemy team and 677 damage to your team.
  • Level 5: Deals 3345 damage to the enemy team.  If matched away, deals 2824 damage to the enemy team and 928 damage to your team.
  • Max Level:
  • Level 3: Deals 2952 damage to the enemy team.  If matched away, deals 2345 damage to the enemy team and 866 damage to your team.
  • Level 4: Deals 4495 damage to the enemy team.  If matched away, deals 3392 damage to the enemy team and 1317 damage to your team.
  • Level 5: Deals 6614 damage to the enemy team.  If matched away, deals 5503 damage to the enemy team and 1804 damage to your team.

I Aaaaaam Groooooot! 0 :green: AP 

(PASSIVE) At the start of each turn, Groot makes a match for you.  This clears lines and creates Critical tiles as normal (but no extra turns).  

When the Atomic Bomb Countdown tile is matched or goes off, this power becomes Don’t Push This Button.

*Levels 2-5 are all the same as above, this power adds Groot making a quick match for the player that gains AP for the player right before the player can move tiles on the board.

Comments

• notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Okay, now that we have the stats, this definitely looks like a great character. Rush to get green as fast as you can to make the most of the starting strike tiles, because you will have the extra match damage every turn of around 1k. The blue is pretty expensive for what it does, but if you get it to last 4 turns, it is 6648 damage from the CD each turn, plus probably around 3-4k extra damage from the starting strike tiles, so 9k-10k. Add in the attack tiles, around 1.2k a turn damage once all 4 are out, and about 3k damage total if none get matched by the end of 4 turns (1 tile is ~350 a turn, so first turn 350, 2nd 700, 3rd 1050, 4th 1400 for total of 3.5k). So around 15k damage (6.6k from CD + impact of strikes of 3k + attack tiles 3k + 3k strike tile impact on attack tiles) potentially for 12 AP. Can be over 1200 damage per AP. Insane damage potential if board works in your favor. Add in Carol and it is game over.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Carol's yellow is really going to make that green powerful. Having a recurring countdown blue is going to go with her naturally as well. They seem made for each other. Throw in a solid red/purple (Star-Lord or possibly new Drax?) and you're in great shape. 5/3/5 is probably plenty, but that yellow is pretty damn potent at 5 covers even if it's useless afterwards. 
  • AlphaNik
    AlphaNik Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Theese guys Carol and Starlord. Bye Bye Goons, wish you well.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Baby Groot generates AP but Hulk form doesn't?  Is this because Hulk isn't cute enough?  Besides that new R&G looks fun.  
  • zulux21
    zulux21 Posts: 249 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2017
    how in the heck is nearly 2k worth of strike tiles at the start of the match okay, but at the same level (270) about 800 worth of strike tiles for 9 black ap (and ending the turn) required a nerf for OML :/

either way this guy looks like a must for trivial and goon nodes.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    1600 per turn, and strength 360 attack tiles. Yep, 12 AP is justified.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    I wonder what the hp will be, thematically it should be low, this is a really good support character and it should be a glass cannon.  I am really looking forward to this one.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    He has average hit points; equivalent to Quake, Captain Marvel, Blade, etc... 51 HP per (level+4). Roughly.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Wow.. 2000 damage strike tiles at start of turn?! That's insane! Medusa meet your new friend.. now make me attack tiles!

That green looks OP.. 6000 or 5000 team damage no matter what plus an extra turn. Sure Groot can mess up match-5s but at least he gathers AP. To balance it, it should only be Groot making a match, not the player. This way the team cannot use a power for 3 turns. As of right now.. I'm alittle afraid to face this guy.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    4* Star Lord + new Drax + new R&G looks..... frightening.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow.. 2000 damage strike tiles at start of turn?! That's insane! Medusa meet your new friend.. now make me attack tiles!

That green looks OP.. 6000 or 5000 team damage no matter what plus an extra turn. Sure Groot can mess up match-5s but at least he gathers AP. To balance it, it should only be Groot making a match, not the player. This way the team cannot use a power for 3 turns. As of right now.. I'm alittle afraid to face this guy.
    He might also press the button (aka match the tile) and damage your team when you can't afford to. Presumably that's the flavor of the power.
  • Königsmacher
    Königsmacher Posts: 61 Match Maker
    C4ge looks like another good partner to them. C4ge needs special tiles to make his yellow ability shine and 4* R&G can use somebody to fortify the strikes they provide at the start of the match. Plus there's no colour overlap on active powers.
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah, this seems like either major power creep or begging for a quick nerf.  2000 in strike tiles at the start is insane.  If blue goes off with Carol on the team? Forget it.  

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,008 Chairperson of the Boards
    4Cage and 4Fist. You start the battle with 3 strikes and only need 6 blue to fortify them. And Fists blue feeds green for R&G. And the forts make 4Cages yellow a killer. 
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    irwando said:
    Yeah, this seems like either major power creep or begging for a quick nerf.  2000 in strike tiles at the start is insane.  If blue goes off with Carol on the team? Forget it.  

Agreed. 1000-2000 worth of strikes is insane to start with. We're going to see him alot in PVP and Shield Sim.

He might also press the button (aka match the tile) and damage your team when you can't afford to. Presumably that's the flavor of the power.
    I am referring to fighting 4* Grocket, it will be a pain to go up against. As far as me using Grocket, the risk is worth it.. not many players are complaining about taking similar damage with Thanos' black.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    3* Grocket's healing ability was so good, I had hopes of some similarity in the 4* version, but it looks like the overall firepower more than makes up for it. Also glad we have the same color scheme as before, but too bad new 5/3* SL's best skill is green also. That said, SL's active yellow will compliment these guys' need for green quite well.
    So as others have stated, hopefully the rework on Drax turns out as good as it looks on paper and he rounds out all active colors perfectly.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Am i tue only one who is a bit underwhelmed?This character looks like has some fun mechanics. But i dont see him as part of the meta.

MPQ rewards:

Speed
    Ap gen
    Ai suppression
    Powerful nuke
    Reliable performance (losses hurt more than wins help, especially in pvp)

This character has almost none if those features.

They don't self-accel until after you cast green for 10ap.  And then he only generates 3  ap per round weighted towared his colors.

They don't suppress the ai at all.

The active abilities are slow, each taking 4 matches.

There is no immediate damage.  Everything is tied to CDs, which means waiting at least 1 turn (or using another character to proc the CD).

They have a lot of randomness, with groot matching away friendly strikes and CDs.

He will be useful for fast starts against weak opponents with those free strikes, but we already have thanos for fast starts.

I hate to be pessimistic about the character; the design looks fun and unique.  But i have a hard time seeing how extrinsic game systems will NOT relegate thus character to "pretty fun when boosted for low priority matches."
  • GritsNGravy
    GritsNGravy Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    Yep, power gonna creep...  Should be fun to play with.  

I don't think the blue countdown that activates every turn triggers Carol though, it's like Human Torch and that doesn't.  It's the countdown expiring, not triggering that makes Carol happy.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    I am pretty sure that human torch green and blade black do proc carol, so this one should too.  

Carol is a great partner for new r&g.  But i hesistate to say that makes 4* grocket good, mostly it just says that carol is awesome.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Torch and Blades countdowns do work with Carol.  

I am not sure I agree with your assessment but without playing I have to reserve judgment, you make some valid points but, I think you may be underestimating his nuke and those strike tiles add speed to a character that may look a little slow on paper.  Paired with Carol his green could be deadly.  Is he top 3, I don't think so but I think they may quickly jump into the top 10-15 possibly higher due to flexibility in possible team ups.