Star-Lord's Something bad doesn't steal proper amount of AP

Options
Fionsel
Fionsel Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
I have 3* Star-Lord at 1/2/2. The ability Something bad states it will steal 5 random AP when there are no enemy strike, attack or protect tiles. However, I've noticed now several times that it will actually steal less than 5 AP. Below I've put down the latest occurence:

Yellow: 6
Red: 5
Blue: 3
Green: 7
Purple: 0
Black: 4
TU: 15

I fire the ability. There are no special tiles. I've stolen only 3 blue AP. Nowhere in the description it states that the AP are of the same color or that it first picks a pool and then steals up to 5 of that color depending on availability of AP.

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Probably not a bug, just a badly worded description. We can always hope they make the power better rather than just fixing the description, I guess.
  • Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hey guys, sorry about the confusion, but it would appear that the power is working as intended. For reference, whenever a power says "random enemy AP" or "random AP", the power is referencing a random AP Color. In this case, because it was stealing 5 Blue AP (determined blue at random), it could only steal 3 and stole what was available, leaving the enemy at 0, and increasing yours by the amount stolen.

Hopefully this helps to clarify this power's function. Though I'll bring it up with the rest of the team, to see if there is anything we can do to make it less confusing.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Tombstone, the consistent usage of this effect simply does not occur in power descriptions:

Electric Arrow: ... and reduces enemy AP in a random color by 6.
    This is clearly worded

Mischief: ... which steal 2 random AP.
    This matches your explanation, however since the effect generates 4 tiles which each steal from a (potentially different) color, one at a time, there are no problems.

Super Secret Tech: Steal 3 random AP for each friendly Countdown tile...
    This matches your explanation, however the power does not explain if it affects the same randomly chosen color for all friendly countdown tiles, or one random color for each.

Ant-Man Arrow: ...that steals 11 enemy AP of a random color.
    This is clearly worded. "Enemy" is probably redundant since stealing friendly AP would hardly be meaningful.

Sonic Boom: ...costs Ms. Marvel an additional 4 AP from one random color.
    By your explanation this could say "costs an additonal 4 random AP", but thankfully does not, and is clearly worded

Coordinated Offensive: For every friendly S/P/A tile ... and destroys 1 enemy AP in a random color.
    Does not explain if it affects the same randomly chosen color for all friendly countdown tiles, or one random color for each.

And that's not even taking into account the inconsistent use of the words "reduce", "destroy", and "drain" to mean removing AP.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Necromundus Ressurectus!!!

With 3* Star-Lord being the 3E for Hooked on a Feeling PvP, and now 5* Star-Lord being the 5E for Venom Bomb, while this bug may have been brought up with the Team many years ago they apparently didn't decide to do anything about it other than invoke Blizzard's old catch cry of "Working as intended!" (I hate that phrase. What a fething cop out!)

When the wording of the power says it "steals 7 random enemy AP" I do NOT expect it to steal less than 7 enemy AP, nor do I expect it to steal up to 7 enemy AP of one colour; I expect the power to do what it says and steal seven enemy AP.

Either the power needs to be fixed so it steals 7 enemy AP or the wording needs to be fixed so it says "steals up to 7 enemy AP in a random colour".

"Working as intended" does not mean it's not broken. In its current wording, it IS broken.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "up to 7 AP in a random color" would be accurate and succinct
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Using 5SL in VB reminded me how lame this power design is, and I won't miss not using him in any real way until his next 5E about a year from now.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,165 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Probably worth noting, currently the in-game description of Something Bad on 5* Lord reads:

While everyone's distracted by the chaos, Star-Lord quietly pockets some loot. What? It's not like they're going to miss it. Steals up to 4 random Strike, Attack, or Protect tiles. If there are none, steals 8 random enemy AP instead.

So the "up to..." wording is part of the special theft, but not part of the AP steal, and it really needs to be clear that the AP is stolen from a single pool. You could super delete that flavor text at the beginning if it's a space issue.