An Unintended Side Effect of Vaulting

2»

Comments

• RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    I think one side effect of vaulting is I expect to get a Max champed 4* in way less time than it took me to get a max champed 3*. It was Patch on March 27. I think my top 2 candidates are Carol with 291 covers and Coulson with 278 covers and that's after selling 6 blue covers before I could champ him. 
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Well some of the comments here were spot on, but I think we're still ok, as long as each week the boosted heroes are from both new and old. For instance this week Iceman was boosted, and while facing a 30000 HP Iceman, I lost big time, even though I had C4Rol at my side. Say all you want, but you cannot deny a hero of all colors, and Iceman is just that good that eventually he's gonna get there even if you manage to starve him of one.

That being said, before vaulting I never had a clear 4* to push too, other than Iceman, but the chances of getting him were very slim with the old system.
    After the valuting I fell in love with C4rol, but not only because she is a good hero, but rather because I like her design and playability. 

So a couble of months later I finally managed to champ my first 4*: C4rol. It's logichal that I will take her for a spin every time I need her, because she is my best hero now. I may certainly use her even if I have a better hero for the situation, just because I like her so much. 

In the process of getting her I also got a pretty strong Mordo, Wasp, Peggy, Coulson. While I use Peggy fairly often, I don't like Wasp that much. Instead I prefer to use St4r-lord, C4rol, and Grocket3 (even though my Star Lord is weak).

I think diversity comes with people favorites and creativity. Some people use the obvious combos, and are not attached to the heroes. But those that like to experiment or play with their favorites will pick something else. 

And now with the addition of new Guardians I'm sure most people will turn their attention to new R&G, Gamora and even Drax. So yeah, I think the problem is short term. Eventually, we will get diversity back.

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    While I use Peggy fairly often, I don't like Wasp that much. Instead I prefer to use St4r-lord, C4rol, and Grocket3 (even though my Star Lord is weak).
    Ummm, Wasp and C4rol are best friends. Gather at least 6 blue AP, then get 5 yellow AP and fire Wasp's power. Watch as C4rol buffs the Strike and Protect to crazy levels with each turn, thanks to That Buzzing Sound. Add C4rol's Photonic Barrage for even more Strikes, and keep using Wasp's yellow to flip and buff Strike and Protect tiles even more. 
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    DFiPL said:
    Short term, that's an issue.

Medium to long term, I think we'll see diversity re-emerge as people champion more of the Token12 and characters cycle out and in.

And, of course, if they ever devise a reasonable solution for how people can get more reliable access to the Vaulted36, we may see those older characters re-emerge.
    Agreed it's a short-term issue.  The longterm issue is that unless your 4*s were champed to a high level before the change, they're unlikely to grow past a certain range (that will vary by play habits).  I think we'll see new players with all their 4* being in the same range, probably 280-300, making that a very wide PvP range and not allowing for much/any growth of opponents for higher players.
    Play habits have a little to do with it - someone like me who doesn't push for 900 in PVP, whatever the reasoning, isn't getting 4-star covers from that outlet - but a lot more of it is going to be RNG. Like, I think the expectation that new players are going to see their 4* land in the 280-300 range maybe improperly assumes that those new players will also naturally be PVE/PVP double dippers who play in T100 alliances. Some will be like that, certainly.

Others will be like me: I'm a daily player with a focus on one mode over the other (for me, it's PVE; others might choose PVP), whose 4* growth comes primarily from CP/covers earned from PVE progression, CP/tokens from DDQ/CoT, daily drops, and the odd alliance member splashing the cash.

And prior to vaulting, none of my 4* had even reached 280. Maybe that changes going forward as I start to complete/champion newer characters, where so far my post-vaulting champions have been older members of the Token12.

Obviously, since St4r-Lord is my strongest, at 278, and he's vaulted, that's still true. Maybe that changes going forward, I don't know.

But I suspect there will be more new players whose play habits match my own than those who chase progressions on both play modes; if that's so, the 280-300 range on champions might be a bit optimistic.

We'll see what happens once I get my first champion from a Token12 character who isn't edging towards the front of the line leading into the vault.
  • Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    I don't think this is a problem. It's all about boosted characters. Peggy was boosted and is a top tier she's in all matches. Carol is a threat when not boosted so she's in almost every team and she was paired with wasp because she was boosted.

I saw Peggy, Medusa, wasp, coulson, Carol and 4cage used a lot in earth's mightiest and bearing in mind the 12 are continually rotating. I'd say 6 out of 12 bearing in mind that 12 currently has Riri, mordo and gwenpoole is a really healthy variety especially as Peggy medusa and carol are some of the best 4*s out there especially Peggy for PvP. She was in almost all teams pre vaulting...

I truly feel that whilst it's frustrating not having an easy path to a vaulted character it is better for the longevity of the game.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    I like to think of this game as one massive dirty, truck stop.   Vaulting is simply one of many broken vending machines in that truck stop.  The truck stop vending machines that do work also only give you random snacks.  Don't buy the ISO water either, it will cost you $1.00 per ounce (or per 30mL for most of the world).  I will save you all from a detailed description of this truck stops bathroom. This truck stop is a great place to visit if you need what the truck stop offers but you don't want to be forced to visit the same truck stop 3 times per day or more.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    DarthDeVo said:
    While I use Peggy fairly often, I don't like Wasp that much. Instead I prefer to use St4r-lord, C4rol, and Grocket3 (even though my Star Lord is weak).
    Ummm, Wasp and C4rol are best friends. Gather at least 6 blue AP, then get 5 yellow AP and fire Wasp's power. Watch as C4rol buffs the Strike and Protect to crazy levels with each turn, thanks to That Buzzing Sound. Add C4rol's Photonic Barrage for even more Strikes, and keep using Wasp's yellow to flip and buff Strike and Protect tiles even more. 
    Yes, it's true, but you have color overlap and you lose at least 1 color because the 3rd hero cannot have red, blue, green and purple. That's why I prefer StarLord or other combo. A rainbow team is stronger than a good duo. That is also the reason Iceman is still the 4* king. You cannot starve him from 3 colors, and if you manage to do so, you will get blown up by his allies.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    I suppose that's true if you're talking a rainbow of active powers. I run Medusa, Wasp and C4rol and they're spectacular. However, that's passives in red, blue and green, which sounds like it's not something you're looking for.