Why are PWs locked to event nodes?

Options
Delnai
Delnai Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
I always thought that nodes were locked to a planeswalker under the old event system so that the game could figure out which PWs to match other players in the event against. (Though I may have been wrong about this.) Now that event decks play that role, what's the point of locking in PWs?

Comments

• sjechua
    sjechua Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So that you either purchase for cash, or crystals the required PW in order to earn/win the better rewards
  • Delnai
    Options
    Maybe I used the wrong word. I get why Tezz has to be used in the top node of BP this weekend. I'm fine with that. My question is, for the other two nodes where you can initially plunk down any PW, why can you change your deck but not your PW after you've started playing? I'd get not being able to change either deck or walker, or being able to change both, but why deck and not walker?
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Are you talking about the Lil2 and dovin event with their names in the event title? 

That event? 
  • Delnai
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    Are you talking about the Lil2 and dovin event with their names in the event title? 

That event? 
    The behavior I described in my previous post holds for both the Planeswalker Arena and Breaking Points. I haven't had a chance to check any other events since 2.0 dropped, but I assume they work the same way. 

It's confusing because when I go into the node to get a match, under the planeswalker's picture there is a button that says "SWITCH". But when I click it I am not able to switch my planeswalker. 
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think I get what you're saying now.

Events have always worked this way. You lock in a plane walker for a specific node when you play the first charge. That's been the format of events since the very first nop event.  
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,943 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ohboy is right. I think the "Switch" button is just referring to the event deck. 
  • Delnai
    Options
    The switch button is not just for the deck. It lets you switch your PW in the Training Grounds event.

And yes, I get that it has always worked that way. And I get that that's the reason I can switch in TG but not other events, because TG is a sort of QB replacement. But as you can see in my OP, I'm asking *why* it works that way. "Cause it always has" is about the least satisfying answer to a "why" question there is, especially so in this case since events are way different now than when NoP was introduced. 
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think it's the same answer as in your initial post,
    it's easier to match opponents after you've locked
    the pw to the node. this may or may not be the
    right answer but makes sense to me.

HH