Trap/Countdown tiles while stunned

Pongie
Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
I used to recall trap tiles (as well as countdown tiles like xfdp) triggering on destruction even if the owner was stunned. However, in the recent blind justice pvp, I noticed this is no longer the case. If you stun xfdp, you can safely match away the countdown for what tiles. When My elektra was stunned, the AI also matched away my red trap tile without triggering any damage. I assume the same would be for Nick fury. Was this change intended or a bug?

Comments

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    If I remember correctly, special tiles with an activation upon matching or destruction should always trigger regardless of whether the one placing them is stunned. (Although I may have seen a few inconsistent cases regarding removal by match-4 or XFW black, not sure there).

If XFDP countdown for what?-tiles aren't triggering, then I'd consider that a bug.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie said:
    When My elektra was stunned, the AI also matched away my red trap tile without triggering any damage.
    Ballet of Death doesn't do damage when anyone matches it. It does damage at the beginning of each turn. Now with AP steal.
  • Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hi everyone, when a character is stunned all passive abilities, countdown tiles, and/or trap tiles they placed on the board will be deactivated until the stun has been removed. So Deadpool (Uncanny X-Force) Countdown for What? (Purple) not dealing damage when he is stunned is as intended. 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Traps DO trigger when the match that includes them also kills their owner. So you can down Daredevil or Nick Fury, and still trigger the trap in one match. I believe that's also true of CDs that trigger when matched, like Countdown for What.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    An extra wrinkle with CFW: I managed to get Deadpool stunned with some tiles out when I was playing the last PvP, and they did nothing when an enemy matched them but they triggered as normal when I matched them, even though XDP was still stunned.
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    I was playing with medusa. The enemy stunned her and then matched her cd tile. It triggered and created the attack tiles.
  • Pongie
    Pongie said:
    When My elektra was stunned, the AI also matched away my red trap tile without triggering any damage.
    Ballet of Death doesn't do damage when anyone matches it. It does damage at the beginning of each turn. Now with AP steal.
    Sorry, must have been daredevil's red trap tile. Either way, it appears to be intended functionality, though why some like medusa is still triggering will then be a bug
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Tombstone said:
    Hi everyone, when a character is stunned all passive abilities, countdown tiles, and/or trap tiles they placed on the board will be deactivated until the stun has been removed. So Deadpool (Uncanny X-Force) Countdown for What? (Purple) not dealing damage when he is stunned is as intended. 

Not the case with Fury's blue aparently. I stunned him and I still got killed by matching one of his traps.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can understand that countdown tiles or trap tiles that 'actively' do something each turn will have their effects suspended for the time their owner is stunned (Elektra's trap tiles or Ant-Man's, for example). But until now, effects triggered by matching or destroying the special tile have always worked even when the owner was stunned (Daredevil being an excellent example). That's why I was genuinely convinced when making my earlier post that my statement was true.

If @Tombstone 's claim is true (should know I guess), it's a change from how it behaved before (I might even go so far as to call it a nerf...) and I guess there are some powers that should be looked at again because they would now be 'bugged' from that perspective.

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Tombstone said:
    It has long been understood and seen in the game that trap effects and trap-like countdown tile effects would activate on matching those trap/countdown tiles would take effect even if the owning character was stunned.  Effectively, traps (and trap-like effects) have always had their "when-matched " effects inherent to the tile, not the status of the owning character.  This has been true for at least the following, and probably many others others:

• 4* Deadpool purple
    • 4* Wolverine yellow
    • 4* Nick Fury blue
    • 3* Daredevil red

The effects that have been disabled when the countdown or trap owner was stunned were those that have a constant effect, or a repeating effect every turn.  Effectively, these followed the rules of passive powers, but are not active until the character gets their tiles out.

Examples of this include:

• 4* Cyclops yellow
    • 3* Colossus yellow
    • 4* Elektra red and black
    • 4* Ant-Man yellow, blue, and purple
    • 5* Thanos purple
    • 3* Vision blue and yellow
    • 3* Squirrel Girl green

If this behavior has changed, as it has been stable and predictable for so long, it would be good for it to have been in release notes.  @Tombstone, could you verify with the devs whether this has changed, is working as intended, and is an intended change from the behavior seen for the last 3 years or so?
  • Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Woops... seems there was an oversight with my argument, and that it was only half-correct. To clarify, Passive Abilities and Countdown tiles will not activate or trigger while a character is stunned, but Traps and Trap-like effects should trigger normally. 

I'll discuss this with the rest of the team and see what might be happening. Can you confirm a list of any other characters that are not triggering their Traps and/or Trap-Like abilities while stunned or airborn? Just want to make sure I have everything before continuing. 
  • Pongie
    Only noticed on xfdp purple and dare devil red. Haven't used xfw and fury in ages so can not verify if their yellow or blue is broken or not
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Just encountered a new one. 
    I was playing with im40, carol and blade against mystique.
    I fire recharge. At the count of 1 mystique stuns im40. His recharge tiles still went off on my turn even though he was still stunned.

Tried to replicate this but in subsequent matches she wouldn't manage to stun im so I gathered 12 yellow. Fired the first batch, and next turn fired the second. First batch goes off, IM is stunned, next turn second batch went off.

PS: please don't change this :smiley:
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Skrofa said:
    Just encountered a new one. 
    I was playing with im40, carol and blade against mystique.
    I fire recharge. At the count of 1 mystique stuns im40. His recharge tiles still went off on my turn even though he was still stunned.

Tried to replicate this but in subsequent matches she wouldn't manage to stun im so I gathered 12 yellow. Fired the first batch, and next turn fired the second. First batch goes off, IM is stunned, next turn second batch went off.

PS: please don't change this :smiley:
    There used to be a problem with IM40 where if some other countdown went off between his Recharge countdowns, the stun would take effect and the remaining Recharge tiles would have to wait.  They made a change to fix it, but it's always seemed like they're walking a careful line to keep this power working correctly.  Maybe the first Recharge countdown to hit 0 should just remove all other Recharge tiles at 1 and do cumulative effects...