What Happened To Flash Sales?

Options
System
System Posts: 1,026 Chairperson of the Boards
This discussion was created from comments split from: Limited Time Flash Sale (2/10/17).

Comments

• Lagartha
    Lagartha Posts: 186 Tile Toppler
    Options
    What ever happened to this idea? Did you guys just conclude that no one got the cards, so it must have been the idea that wasn't good?
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,943 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree that this was a cool idea, but there were no cards being offered that were better than mediocre. 
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah, if inner struggle, grip of desolation, line rider etc etc were on sale I'm sure lots of people would bite. 
  • AngelForge
    AngelForge Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would pay double for grip of desolation... ;-)
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I opened some 3k crystals worth of packs chasing grip of desolation. 

• Copioso
    Copioso Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    My coalition mates usually roll their eyes back and switch their devices to airplane mode when I start talking about my endless and frustrating search for grip of desolation.
    It's still one of the only three uncommons that my collection is missing.
  • Lagartha
    Lagartha Posts: 186 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Grip deserves to be a Masterpiece more than some of the cards they've got. XP
  • Phase
    Phase Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Options
    When I got Inner Struggle I was thrilled. My coalition mate pulled a Mox Opal and was busy finding out how bad it is next to Shrine. Definitely puts some perspective on how much they could stand to gain from some actual GOOD uncommon flash sales.
  • wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I for one would really like more of these "a la carte" options.

There are cards from all rarities (even a couple of commons) that I would very much like to get.

If they offered up a rotating buffet of rares from previous sets for, say, $2-3 each, I would probably drop some coin.

It's very frustrating trying to chase certain cards by opening pack after pack of dupes when all you want is a "Ruinous Path" or "Haunted Cloak", etc...
  • Copioso
    Copioso Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Phase said:
    When I got Inner Struggle I was thrilled. My coalition mate pulled a Mox Opal and was busy finding out how bad it is next to Shrine. Definitely puts some perspective on how much they could stand to gain from some actual GOOD uncommon flash sales.
    Unfortunately, I'm afraid D3's income benefits more from people (like me and Ohboy) dumping thousands of crystals chasing a single card rather than from people being able to make one-time purchases for cards they're looking for.
    Unless, of course, you take into account the frustration factor that can lead people to not.another.diming.
  • julianus
    julianus Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I for one would really like more of these "a la carte" options.

There are cards from all rarities (even a couple of commons) that I would very much like to get.

If they offered up a rotating buffet of rares from previous sets for, say, $2-3 each, I would probably drop some coin.

It's very frustrating trying to chase certain cards by opening pack after pack of dupes when all you want is a "Ruinous Path" or "Haunted Cloak", etc...
    I was just about to comment that this frustration is probably part of the overall business model, but @Copioso made that point already. So, I guess I'm just echoing the observation. :)
  • Phase
    Phase Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Oh the gacha business model THRIVES on not offering specific cards except for a truckload of real money. Wizards of the Coast is no different- they only sell specific cards in special, expensive bundles (like From the Vault collections, some preconstructed theme decks, etc). 

It was just encouraging to see them do the flash sale. The idea that someone could buy a specific uncommon was brand new to the game. Here's hoping they keep experimenting.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I would pay double for grip of desolation... ;-)
    For real, though...
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,242 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phase said:
    Oh the gacha business model THRIVES on not offering specific cards except for a truckload of real money. Wizards of the Coast is no different- they only sell specific cards in special, expensive bundles (like From the Vault collections, some preconstructed theme decks, etc). 

It was just encouraging to see them do the flash sale. The idea that someone could buy a specific uncommon was brand new to the game. Here's hoping they keep experimenting.

It's a shame that the uncommons they did offer were of low quality, which means that few people likely purchased them, which probably discouraged them from doing it in the future with cards people actually want.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just because it's their business model, it doesn't mean it has to be their business model.  If they can sell a specific card like Baral or Olivia for $30, they could offer your choice of mythic for the same $30.  If they can sell Oath of Ajani for $3.99, they could offer other rares for $3.99.  Or a pack containing a rare or better for $3.99.

They could make money selling skins or avatars or deckslots.  How about $30 for a deckslot for each planeswalker?  People would buy that.  They could rent cards, just for an event or for a weekend.  Maybe 99 cents to put a specific card into your deck for one event.  Possibly on a rent-to-own basis.

I paid $30 for Baral, which was a bit more than I probably would have paid in a vacuum, but it worked out to about $2 per month that I'd been playing, or about 2 cents for every post complaining about him on this board.  Would I pay $30 for, say, Starfield of Nyx?  Maybe, maybe not.  But I'm not going to spend any amount of real money for any product which might, but probably does not, contain Starfield of Nyx.  That is, the system they have now.  I won't spend a single crystal or a single penny on an Origins pack.  If Starfield of Nyx comes my way, it will be through random luck, not by me sending any money D3's way.

I'm not a "not another dime"-er, partially because I've only ever made one purchase in the history of this game.  But I would be happy to spend $3 here or $5 there, or an occasional  $10 or $20 if I'm getting something specific that I actually want.  Not a 1/10 of 1% chance of getting something I want, but the actual thing I want.
  • wickedwitch74
    Options
    EDHdad said:
    Just because it's their business model, it doesn't mean it has to be their business model.  If they can sell a specific card like Baral or Olivia for $30, they could offer your choice of mythic for the same $30.  If they can sell Oath of Ajani for $3.99, they could offer other rares for $3.99.  Or a pack containing a rare or better for $3.99.

They could make money selling skins or avatars or deckslots.  How about $30 for a deckslot for each planeswalker?  People would buy that.  They could rent cards, just for an event or for a weekend.  Maybe 99 cents to put a specific card into your deck for one event.  Possibly on a rent-to-own basis.

I paid $30 for Baral, which was a bit more than I probably would have paid in a vacuum, but it worked out to about $2 per month that I'd been playing, or about 2 cents for every post complaining about him on this board.  Would I pay $30 for, say, Starfield of Nyx?  Maybe, maybe not.  But I'm not going to spend any amount of real money for any product which might, but probably does not, contain Starfield of Nyx.  That is, the system they have now.  I won't spend a single crystal or a single penny on an Origins pack.  If Starfield of Nyx comes my way, it will be through random luck, not by me sending any money D3's way.

I'm not a "not another dime"-er, partially because I've only ever made one purchase in the history of this game.  But I would be happy to spend $3 here or $5 there, or an occasional  $10 or $20 if I'm getting something specific that I actually want.  Not a 1/10 of 1% chance of getting something I want, but the actual thing I want.
    Exactly. If they offered smaller transactions... a Starfield for $10, or a Prism Array for $5... they'd probably bring in a lot more money then by trying to get people to drop $100 for 3000 crystals and a few lottery tickets.
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm in agreement with EDHdad and wickedwitch74.  I have opened pack after pack after pack of SOI just hoping, praying (and my coalition mates can attest to this) to pull an Imprisoned in the Moon to no avail.  I'd gladly give 100, 150, heck even 200 crystals for it given the opportunity.  Before the "not another dime" movement I'd have paid real money for it too.

Incidentally, back when this sale happened I was thrilled to finally obtain "Slab Hammer".  I needed it for a Devoid build.  It (the flash sale) filled me with hope that the game would use the mechanism to rotate in other uncommon cards.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Another source of revenue might be, when a new set comes out, for them to sell a complete set of commons and uncommons for something like $20 or $30.  Then people could get into the basic mechanics of the new set and upgrade as they get the rares and mythics.  It would also be helpful if there was some sort of product which only offered rare or better cards.  This would have synergy with a product where you could buy all the commons and uncommons, and also would be more appealing to people who have all of the commons and uncommons.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    EDHdad said:

I've suggested, on a related note, in the past that cards previously available for purchase with real money could start rotating in the vault either for purchase with real money again or for crystals. They could even start all the way back at the first set and let people buy Mirrorpool (was that purchased? I think I read it was, but I wasn't playing then) or Olivia or Ulrich. Not only would this let people who started playing later catch up to established players, but with the changes on top rewards, it will make sure the meta can balance out between long-time players who have the power cards, and more recently joining players who never had the opportunity to catch up and compete.

I also would second the idea of being able to purchase rare or mythic rare cards from old sets. I'd like to have been able to buy packs from BFZ to round out my collection, but I don't feel like it's worth my money to do so, especially with drop rates being what they are, or even have the option to swap out my guaranteed rare card rewards from event from Aether Revolt (I own every single one) to rare cards from earlier blocks.
  • wickedwitch74
    Options
    wereotter said:
    EDHdad said:

I've suggested, on a related note, in the past that cards previously available for purchase with real money could start rotating in the vault either for purchase with real money again or for crystals. They could even start all the way back at the first set and let people buy Mirrorpool (was that purchased? I think I read it was, but I wasn't playing then) or Olivia or Ulrich. Not only would this let people who started playing later catch up to established players, but with the changes on top rewards, it will make sure the meta can balance out between long-time players who have the power cards, and more recently joining players who never had the opportunity to catch up and compete.

I also would second the idea of being able to purchase rare or mythic rare cards from old sets. I'd like to have been able to buy packs from BFZ to round out my collection, but I don't feel like it's worth my money to do so, especially with drop rates being what they are, or even have the option to swap out my guaranteed rare card rewards from event from Aether Revolt (I own every single one) to rare cards from earlier blocks.
    Heck yeah... I'd plunk down some $$$ for a War Pig or Olivia.