Fun!

Options
TheDragonHermit
TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
With all the complaining about stale content, excessive duplicates, unfair AI, things that need to be nerfed, things that should be reverted after the asked for need, devaluation of in game currency, delays on an update, and the results of updates (all valid arguments to a point in my opinion), it may seem a mystery what any of us still play. So let's have a thread where we can talk about what is fun about the game, everything that keeps us coming back despite the flaws.
I'll start. I love most of the Planeswalkers. I save up my crystals and wait for a fun Walker to come up in the vault to build decks around it that will be fun to play. I know I will have to change them for objectives (for now) but then I go right back to the fun deck. I would love to see more Planeswalkers with abilities that tie into each other and lend themselves to creative deckbuilding.

Comments

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I mostly play out of habit. 

Being able to come up with new blue/black decks with Tezz2 has been fun. 
  • voodoo_gremlin
    voodoo_gremlin Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    I'll sit on the fence a bit. I've been more interested in quick battles in the last few weeks because I've been trying to master my cards and get more runes before it goes away. I'm having the most fun with this game since the last patch.
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 544 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Made a similar thread not long ago

http://forums.d3go.com/discussion/62945/why-play#latest

I still have fun playing QB especially against decks that outclass my own. I like the challenge of trying to overcome a nearly impossible opponent.
    Story mode is also still fun for me but it is in desperate need of new content (and IMO a followable plot).

I think the game itself is enjoyable but the last update sucked a lot of the fun out of it. Hopefully today's update will put some back in.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I got my 2nd mythic since the patch released yesterday (other was mechanized production form the first BP).  And it was a good one too, Ulrich of the Krallenhorde.  Getting fun new cards that are useful and add new layers to my decks are the most fun thing in this game (it used to be winning events).  Anyway, really stoked to play with this bad boy, especially with his buddy Geir Reach Bandit.
  • Ciotog
    Ciotog Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options

The most fun I have with this game is making new decks and trying them out in QB.  I've actually managed to make a fun deck for each node of NoP which is nice since we have to play it every week....

Recently came up with a Sarkhan deck that focused almost exclusively on using the ingest mechanic that is surprisingly effective and a lot of fun.  Excited for the update because I have a couple of Baral decks I think will actually get better with the "nerf". Always on the look out for a new combo to try out.

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Killing time until Amonket.

The most fun I have is posting on this forum :)
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I made a killer Nissa 2 deck, which was great fun. I had bought Nissa 2 when it was up for sale and initially was very disappointed. So disappointed I considered her the worst PW and never quite felt he enthusiasm that others had for her.

this past week I finally got back to her and decided it was time to deck build from scratch. Next thing I know, I have an unbelievably powerful deck with amazing synergy between the cards and her abilities.

Since then, she has now become my favorite PW and I can agree that she is awesome. Such things make this game fun - realizing you had a killer deck in front of you the whole time and now finally putting it to use.
  • TheDragonHermit
    TheDragonHermit Posts: 465 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    shteev said:
    Killing time until Amonket.

The most fun I have is posting on this forum :)
    Yeah I've noticed @shteev hope you get out from behind bars soon. @Ciotog you have to share, always looking for new weird ways to use Sarkhan.
  • Phase
    Phase Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I like trying to make bad looking cards good. Mindwrack Demon + Grim Flayer in a tezz2 or sarkhan shell. Mix it with Whispers, TTS and some other goodies. Madness cards like FutF or WttF. I don't have sarkhan but his madness options probably make him the better pick. When training grounds is up and running I'll have some fun with that for sure.
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like discussing deck strategies and theories with my teammates and seeing how well they work in practice.  

I like the coalition meta-game; building the best possible teams from a semi-diverse (our players tend to skew towards computer-savvy, musically-inclined, cat-owning parents in their 30s & 40s) worldwide pool and seeing how high up the leaderboards we can climb. 

This game allows me to enjoy MtG in both bite-size chunks of gameplay AND long, late-night planning sessions with friends.
  • MrMoustache
    MrMoustache Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I still enjoy playing strong decks that I need to think about and pay attention to get the win. Challenges like all three levels of Node 3 of the weekend event are satisfying to beat. Yes, Tezzeret cast a bunch of vehicles, broken supports, and Whaled up the entire board with energized gems, but I was able to deal with his creatures, destroy a ton of gems, and push through his supports to get the win.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I enjoy matching gems.

I enjoy cascading matches.

I enjoy finding a match, and then looking around the board and then discovering that a different match will cascade into the first match.

I enjoy beating my opponent.

I enjoy killing / disabling / bouncing their stuff.

I enjoy getting cards I don't already have.

I enjoy obtaining new Planeswalkers and leveling them up to 60.

I enjoy having an optimized or near-optimized deck for a particular planeswalker where the cards almost all have synergy with one another and also with the planeswalker's abilities.

I enjoy anything with a "guaranteed rare or better", either a product, or an event prize.

I enjoy when a I'm opening a pack and the it starts to wiggle, like it's about to give me something good.

I enjoy 100-game win streaks in Quick Battle.

I enjoy triggered abilities.

I enjoy when a color-changing gem creates a cascade before my turn even begins.

I enjoy it when my coalition is in the top 100.
  • Dsagent
    Dsagent Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Options
    I enjoy just playing the game. 
    Quick battles are always fun. 
  • stikxs
    stikxs Posts: 518 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I know there is a lot of unrest (largely deserved imo, I couldn't even contact support about no coalition rewards lol) but I just had a very fun match in OotG with a cheap jace1 spell/support deck to hit one of the requirements. It was pretty awesome seeing all the cascades from gem changes at the beginning of turn and all the spells triggering draws/life gains.