Increasing the Fun

captainheath
captainheath Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
I've been playing this game for 3+ years (even though this is my first post.)  I'm not threatening to quit, but am just hoping for it to become more fun.

To me the most fun part of the game right now is the every five day crash.  There is something about the one on one nature of the crash that makes it fun.  I know it has been regularly suggested to increase the frequency of crashes, but I'd be happy with a different crash every day for 5 cp.  The fun is in the play, but I only get to do it every fifth day (and sometimes it just isn't possible due to a low-covered 4 star.)

Or maybe a gauntlet-type event based upon one on one or two on two would be fun.  3 on 3 gets stale after 3 years.

Any other ideas to increase fun?

Comments

• Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    This game is severely lacking new game play modes. It would be really nice if they'd put the "puzzle" aspect into MPQ. I'd be willing to pay a couple bucks for a new play mode.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Couple of new events, that's pretty fun to me. Yeah, could be better with new characters, but eh, what can you do.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just wish there were more 1 player pve events. I mean they had growth industry but that's been long gone. 
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    There have been heaps of good ideas on how to make things more fun around here. Why, there's even one in my sig! Have a look through the abyss of the Suggestions sub and you'll see. Not that anyone visits there, mind you...

Without plumbing the depths of cynicism, however, it's easy to see that the primary source of Demiurge's attention is making new characters. History continues to prove that the most we can reasonably hope for are the occasional boss fight/alliance event, the rare new Story events, and the even rarer update to Taco Thing. Anticipating a significant change to the Versus/Story template seems to be well beyond the realm of reasonable. C'est la vie.

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gonna say what I always say on these: Endless Wave Mode PLLLZZZZZZZ.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    alliance gauntlet mode!

• astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2017
    Thanos said:
    This game is severely lacking new game play modes. It would be really nice if they'd put the "puzzle" aspect into MPQ. I'd be willing to pay a couple bucks for a new play mode.
    I don't imagine any of this is going to happen, so there may not be much point in discussing it, but I totally agree.  I would love to see a story-type mode that had more RPG aspects to it. One that was truly interactive with a more elaborate plot. One that allowed you to choose different paths based on the decisions you made. Maybe with challenge boards such as: a board that is missing a certain color, ones where you couldn't fire powers, ones where you had a time limit, ones where you had to have a certain combo of characters to unlock the next story (based on clues you uncover by beating other nodes), ones where only match-5s do damage, ones where all powers that affect allies affect foes instead and vice versa, ones where you had to get certain color tiles in certain positions, ones where one row of tiles disappears per turn, ones with treasure tiles you could match for prizes, etc. (if I thought for a while, I'm sure I could come up with better ones). Maybe the ability to recruit "NPCs" in a fourth slot for that story only.

• blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Jarvind said:
    Gonna say what I always say on these: Endless Wave Mode PLLLZZZZZZZ.
    would love to see this. especially with some of our new CD tile boosters, it'd be interesting to see how many rounds we could achieve

There have been heaps of good ideas on how to make things more fun around here. Why, there's even one in my sig! Have a look through the abyss of the Suggestions sub and you'll see. Not that anyone visits there, mind you...

i am a huge supported of combined arms too!

a simple addition would be to run a harder gauntlet with better rewards during the season similar to simulator.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

Without plumbing the depths of cynicism, however, it's easy to see that the primary source of Demiurge's attention is making new characters. History continues to prove that the most we can reasonably hope for are the occasional boss fight/alliance event, the rare new Story events, and the even rarer update to Taco Thing. Anticipating a significant change to the Versus/Story template seems to be well beyond the realm of reasonable. C'est la vie.

And it seems we are getting new characters, a boss battle and a new story event all within a week. Quite looking forward to that, hope it's good stuff.

Really, I Think the problem is that people will play a lot to get a new character. While people may appreciate a new storyline more, the user metrics do not reflect this. New characters is unfortunately what makes the game go round.

• goldkear
    goldkear Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    The idea of balance of power gives an interesting change, but unfortunately there are a few characters that become wildly overpowered (like URF mode on league of legends) but similar changes like that could add some fun new strategy. A mode where powers did no damage would be boring, unless non damaging effects still worked, but that would probably have a heavy strike tile meta to it. Maybe the opposite, where only powers did damage could be fun. Perhaps a mode where powers were much cheaper, but you could only use one per turn or something. 
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would be fun to have a greater variety of game play types, different ways to win matches besides just beating your opponents to oblivion. Other non-timed content, so there's less pressure to grind like a madman every single day.

Different puzzle-like matches, such as matches where you must create a chain of match-5s so that you win the match in just a single move. They have these puzzles in other match-3 games.. they're fun!
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    I just wish there were more 1 player pve events. I mean they had growth industry but that's been long gone. 
    Short attention spans around here. They had a mini-event where they all but gave away a Coulson cover last month.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Short attention spans around here. They had a mini-event where they all but gave away a Coulson cover last month.

I am aware......... It doesn't change the fact that I wish there were more solo PVE Events like growth industry. And the Coulson mini event was easily finished in 5 minutes.

Growth Industry ran twice over a year and half ago in 2015

Amadeus' Inferno ran back in late/early 2016

Inside job ran in march 2017

Looks like we get 1 specialized solo PVE event a year.

So in another 46  years all the current characters will have there own event !

• Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    How about a Davids vs. Goliath daily challenge eg;
    • 2or3 1-stars vs 3 star 
    • 2or3 2-stars vs 4-star
    • 2or3 3-stars vs 5-star
    I like the idea of different team sizes on offense, defense, or both.

The Behemoth Burrito is doing a good job highlighting synergies, we need more of this, puzzle stuff. 
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    jredd said:
    alliance gauntlet mode!

This would be great, similar to Contest of Champions Alliance Wars... where there are multiple, mutually exclusive paths to achieve 100% coverage.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd like to see some events with different types of PVE. Maybe a Fantastic Four vs Doom themed event where you always get to take a team of 4 with you instead of 3. Maybe another event that's 2v2. Maybe one where you get to take two waves of your own (a Boss type fight with 6 people, so when your first three go down, three more jump in, or maybe one goes down, one rotates back in, or something). We've seen 2v2 in PVP, and 1v1 in Crash, these are fun spins on the base format to give more variety. Even something like a "Crash-Lite", like, you're forced to use one character, but can send in any character you want as back-up? Or themed events, you get two people, but one must be an Avenger, and the other must be from the X-Men. Limitations to make us pick and choose and have new types of fights, and to reward that broad roster that is demanded by Essential nodes/events.

Also, Arcade. Arcade as a Boss, entire event is in Murderworld, give us "puzzle-like" mechanics (like Galactus or Ultron or Kaecilius), and go wild. The characters trying to navigate weird games to beat Arcade is an in-universe excuse to do literally whatever type of event you want. Maybe a weird magnet-game where Arcade drops silver "Magnet" tiles, and uses powers to move them closer together, and you have to use your powers to separate/destroy them, because if he matches 3 Magnet tiles they do a huge amount of damage? Maybe a reverse Ultron, where you WANT to get the bombs to the bottom. Maybe a 90 degree spin on Ultron, Arcade creates a bomb in the left column, and each turn rotates the board one to the right, and you have to destroy bombs before they reach the right side? Seriously, Arcade makes way too much sense for a Match-3 game. 

• El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:

And it seems we are getting new characters, a boss battle and a new story event all within a week. Quite looking forward to that, hope it's good stuff.

Really, I Think the problem is that people will play a lot to get a new character. While people may appreciate a new storyline more, the user metrics do not reflect this. New characters is unfortunately what makes the game go round.

To the first part, the characters we are already quite numb to. Some people, myself included, are indifferent at best and hostile to at worst. The boss battle and Story event are all fine and good, but the core issue still stands; they are infrequent and infrequently re-run. Meanwhile, get ready to play Unstable Iso-8 for the thousandth time!

To the second part, I fully understand the underlying business model. Even setting aside that lamentation, there is no reason why the two things have to be mutually exclusive. That, I think, is the saddest part.

(Apologies for my clunky formatting. I can't puzzle out how to split quotes effectively in this new environment. Boo.)
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Quebbster said:

To the first part, the characters we are already quite numb to. Some people, myself included, are indifferent at best and hostile to at worst. The boss battle and Story event are all fine and good, but the core issue still stands; they are infrequent and infrequently re-run. Meanwhile, get ready to play Unstable Iso-8 for the thousandth time!

To the second part, I fully understand the underlying business model. Even setting aside that lamentation, there is no reason why the two things have to be mutually exclusive. That, I think, is the saddest part.

(Apologies for my clunky formatting. I can't puzzle out how to split quotes effectively in this new environment. Boo.)

DrDevilDinosaur said: Just mash up those quotes good - not too hard to make posts

very
    unreadable. You know, the exact opposite thing that changing the forum was supposed to achieve.
  • goldkear
    goldkear Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Can we talk about how fun thanos's boss event is? It's maybe a bit too easy, but the infinity gem mechanic is fun to play