Lastest Steam download contains Trojan Virus?

When I downloaded latest version via steam I get an warning from my system that it contains a Trojan virus which when removed prevents Steam from properly updating the game.  So it is now unplayable.

I know it is Puzzlequest because I removed everything and restarted download and got the same error.

Comments

• creepo
    creepo Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Wow, I'm getting the same thing and it's driving me crazy! Is it an actual Trojan or just something weird with the latest build?
  • MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Waiting for Steam to get back to me.

• MaskedMan
    MaskedMan Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    It seems WebRoot is having a disagreement with Steam as far as I can tell.  Multiple games are affected.  
  • creepo
    That blows, but does it mean that it isn't really a virus?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi Everyone. I'm sorry to hear that several of you are encountering this issue. I've gone ahead and notified the developers of this incident, and hopefully they'll be able to provide some insight when they get into the office tomorrow.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Steam player and I don't use Webroot and had no alarms go off when I updated, just for comparison's sake.
  • waywreth
    waywreth Posts: 303 Mover and Shaker
    I have a Steam account that updated with no issues. 

There are however known issues with latest Webroot update playing havoc with various Windows systems.  Here's an article.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @MaskedMan @creepo

Do you two use Webroot? If so, then it's most likely their latest update that's causing issues, since other Steam account users are reporting no issues with the update.
  • creepo
    Found a solution on the Webroot support forums: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/2-Steam-games-and-a-few-registery-files-deleted/td-p/290175

Apparently if you restore Marvel Puzzle Quest.exe from Quarantine, Webroot remembers it's cool.

Working for me now.