Black Panther (Civil War) Red Ability not triggering off of AoE damage [Solved]

nigelregal
nigelregal Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
I am using 5* Black Panther. His passive says if he would take over ~6500 damage he blocks 60% of it and stuns for 2 turns. This works fine for single target powers but any AOE power will not trigger it. Spoke to others who use him and noticed the same thing. 

Spider Woman and Colossus are other 2 characters with the same type of power but unsure if AOE affects them as well

Administrator Note: Made a small change to the title.

Comments

• Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hm... it seems like the problem could be related to an already known issue with Black Panther (Civil War)'s Move... Or Be Moved (Red) passive power. Do you recall who it was and which power they used that you believe should have triggered Panther's passive power?
  • y4747
    y4747 Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    same happened to me just now - shield spy hit team for more than his trigger, but didn't activate it. using 5* thanos, bp, and 5* strange vs. shield spy, falcon (which was downed at the time) and gsbw.
  • nigelregal
    nigelregal Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    I have been hit by: Flamethrower, silent strike, Thanos 3* AOE from PVP
  • y4747
    y4747 Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    throw in 3bp black from pve.
  • Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey everyone, after discussing with the rest of team it turns out that this is intended functionality against any attack that can be considered an AoE ability. This is because the ability is not targeting Black Panther, but rather he had got caught within the area of the attack. 

AoE - Area of Effect - An attack that is launched in a general area and generally not at a specific target. IE: Causing an explosion, Causing a Wind Storm, Creating an Earthquake.
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    If this is the case, I think the power's description should be edited to reflect that it activates on "targeted" damage. As currently written, the intent is not clear.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    This answer doesn't seem reasonable when characters like Red Hulk, Captain Marvel (3 star), and Hulk (3 star) passives all work with AOE damage
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well... it does seem consistent with how 3* Deadpool and Things passives work, though. They only trigger if the ally is specifically targeted by an attack. Agree it could be better worded in the description(s) of all such powers:

5* BP: If Black Panther would take X or more damage, [effect]
    (triggers on only targeted attacks, and presumably the targeted portion of AoE attacks such as Call the Storm)

3* Deadpool: If a character with less health than me would take X or more damage, [effect]
    (triggers on only targeted attacks and the targeted portion of AoE attacks)

3* Hulk: When damaged for over 5% of his health, [effect]
    (triggers on any damage)

3* Carol: When Captain Marvel takes greater than X damage, [effect]
    (triggers on any damage)

4* Thing: If an ally would take X or more damage, [effect]
    (triggers on only targeted attacks and the targeted portion of AoE attacks)

4* Red Hulk: If Red Hulk is damaged for X or more, [effect]
    (triggers on any damage)

4* Deadpool: Whenever an ally of mine takes more than X damage, [effect]
    (triggers on any damage)

2* Storm: If a team member is damaged for 20% of their max health, [effect]
    (triggers on any damage)

Not counting the inconsistent use of "X or more", "greater than X" and etc... Black Panther's power does seem to be worded the same as many of these other powers, most of which DO trigger off of AoE damage.

For 3* Deadpool and Thing, it seems sensible to exclude AoE powers to avoid situations where both allies take damage that would trigger the effect from the same attack. The other characters who trigger when they personally take damage don't care about this, obviously, and 4* Deadpool and Storm DO trigger multiple times when a large AoE attack is fired.

Even from a flavor standpoint it seems like an odd distinction to make. How is an earthquake harder to dodge than a laser? Or a psychic attack? Or a swarm of ants? How is Quicksilver's Fists of Fury easier to dodge than Gamora's Skull Cracker?

I realize that the game mechanics can only be an abstraction of the story, but still. This intended behavior seems like more effort than it's worth to code, enforce, and justify.

btw @Tombstone , I could probably name a dozen powers in MPQ that create explosions and yet are not AoE attacks. Heck, Plot Armor doesn't even do damage. So that first one of your three oblique examples of AoE powers isn't particularly compelling.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree with other posters here.  If this is the intended behavior, the description should be changed to be far more clear:

Current: "If Black Panther would take X or more damage, [...]"

Clarified version: "If Black Panther is targeted by a direct attack for X or more damage, [...]"

• wuweird
    wuweird Posts: 75 Match Maker
    It's funny, this thread is marked as "[Solved]" but I still had to read the damn thing to work out why there's a discrepancy between what the ability says it does and what actually happens.

There's nothing that specifies it only works when targeted and not with AOE. This seems less like a "solution" than the dev team shrugging and saying "well, that's how it works now, I guess".