What if?/Trying to understand...

JohnnyBlood
JohnnyBlood Posts: 85 Match Maker
Ok, so, nobody really likes vaulting.  But a longer standing problem with the player base has been breakneck release schedules of new characters.  Am I wrong that the release of new characters has slowed recently?  It seems that way at least (not going to look back and check/double-check).  Anyway,  the game still needs to generate money.  Long standing for of the game generating money has been during new character releases.  Well, now, we have a lot of characters (a lot).  Soo...maybe the implementation of vaulting and the Heroes for Hire purchase packs are a combo that is supposed to be beneficial for both the game and the players.  We get what we've wanted for soooo long:  Slower character releases.  Yet, they still have a way to generate revenue:  Vaulting certain characters puts a hire premium on those in the vault, thus, people are more likely (theoretically) to purchase certain HFH packages because certain characters have been much more difficult to obtain.  So, player base, would you rather be spending money for a guaranteed cover that you want/need from a vaulted character, or be forced to grind/purchase packs for a continual onslaught of new characters?  Honestly, I'll take the current system, even though I had my fare share of vitriol for vaulting in the past.

-Note:  Sorry if this theory has been brought up elsewhere.  While I regularly read the forums, I do not scour them for every converstaion.

Comments

• carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    A release cycle was skipped, yes.  Whether that has anything to do with vaulting is pretty questionable, though.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    The current slowdown in char release is probably the calm before the Guardians 2 storm coming. Enjoy the reprieve while it lasts and get ready to get back on that hamster wheel, Sisyphus. 
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's also not known yet whether they simply skipped a release altogether or just rolled it into the next one. They could easily release 3-4 new characters in the next 2 weeks to make up for it. Only time will tell.

To directly answer the question - it doesn't feel any slower to me, but the 5* releases are coming more regularly, and I think quicker than they were a year ago, so if you ignore those (which I suppose most players do?) the 4* would look to be slightly less often.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    mohio said:
    They could easily release 3-4 new characters in the next 2 weeks to make up for it. Only time will tell.
    They could release 3-4 new characters this weekend as part of the GotG2 festivities (unless they wait for the US theatrical release). I wasn't playing when Age of Ultron came out. Did they introduce all the new characters in the same week, or did they spread them out?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    It seems very very premature to assuming that one skipped release date = a permanently lower character release rate. 

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 comes out early next month.  So let's see how many tie-ins they throw at us for that film before we start applauding. . .

When Age of Ultron came out we had something like 7 characters released in 8 weeks between Avengers and Netflix Daredevil tie-ins. (I think it was KP, Prof X, KK, Switch, QS, IMHB, vision all between mid march and mid may)