What is not to love about this awesome feature. [Complaints about Crashes]

Uthgarprime
Uthgarprime Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
edited April 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I just can't get over the fact that they have a game breaking bug that crashes the game.  I would be embarased as a programmer to put this game crash in production.  Of course I would have been fired from my programming job had I put an update out like this.  Does this company not have any pride what so ever in their product.  I get you want to money grab as much as you can, but do any of you have any personal pride in the product you put out there. it still amazes me the bugs you let go each patch.  I know of at least 2 programmers in real life that could have all these bugs fixed in a week. You must have so sub par guys to let all these bugs through every single patch.

**Clarified Title - Ducky

Comments

• MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    I know crashes are frustrating, but you should go talk to your programmer friends. 

Chances are (if they're really as good as you say) they'll probably be a fair bit more conservative about how long it would take them to fix all of the bugs in MPQ. 
  • Uthgarprime
    Uthgarprime Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    No they would not, They fix things that make MPQ look like Basic on a good day, every day. They read programming like you read a kindergarden book. I am that confident in their abilities. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017

I haven't had a crash on iOS in over a year.

Possibly the causes for the crashes aren't quite so easily identifiable when your code base is fragmented across different platforms.

But I'm sure your programmer friends all have coded games across iOS, Android and Steam, right?

• JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm on iOS iPhone 5s, then iPhone 7, no game crash bug here.

Not sure why yours is crashing.  With the huge variety of phones, android builds (because not all android devices are the same), and various platforms, the particular reason your specific phone/device is crashing is not readily identifiable.

Hopefully you've sent them your make/model and OS system and version number, as well as a description of what you were doing when it crashed.  It could be specific to your device, not enough memory, too many open apps, who knows.

Though it is an important thing to find this bug and fix it, maybe it is only effecting a very tiny % of the player base while other bugs are effecting the entire player base?  Which would you fix first?  A problem that is effecting one person out of a couple hundred customers or a problem that is effecting all of your customers?
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I have to agree with the OP. I, myself, am a programmer. Admittedly, I do not program video games. However, I do program automated factories and warehouses that can lose $1 million per day if my software fails, so the intricate code required there dwarfs MPQ. I also have to do service on programs written by 5 other people, written 10 years ago. I want to believe the developers are good at their jobs, and probably better at writing code (especially for gaming) than I am. I would be ashamed for any of my projects to have the bugs this game has... and for the bugs to be long-lasting.
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    LOL, I meant crawling through 500 yards of... unpleasantness, but I like the cut of your jib.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi @Uthgarprime

I'm sorry to hear that you're encountering a consistent crash. Since it doesn't seem like other players are encountering it though, I worry it might have something to do with your specific device.

Would you mind posting a thread in the Bugs & Technical Issues section detailing what your specific action is to encounter this crash? It would help our teams determine what the issue is, and help you resolve it. Thanks!
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,001 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Hi @Uthgarprime

I'm sorry to hear that you're encountering a consistent crash. Since it doesn't seem like other players are encountering it though, I worry it might have something to do with your specific device.

Would you mind posting a thread in the Bugs & Technical Issues section detailing what your specific action is to encounter this crash? It would help our teams determine what the issue is, and help you resolve it. Thanks!
    @Brigby

I also have experienced the crashes although the only consistency is that they occur at the initial board drop.  I've made posts in Bugs & Technical issues and sent in tickets to CS.  It is definitely an annoying bug because it can eat up boosts and seriously hamper your ability to climb in PVP if it happens at an inopportune time.  

Sadly for me I don't have super awesome programmer friends like Uthgar so my indignation over the whole thing is far less pronounced.  I'd like to see the bug fixed but am not losing sleep over it.  
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    @Brigby

FYI: http://forums.d3go.com/discussion/56920/board-drop-of-death-crash-bugs/p1

The OP doesn't specify which crashes he is experiencing, but given that there is one crash that has been around for ages and hasn't been fixed yet, I think it is fair to assume it is the case.

A lot of people, myself included, have been experiencing this issue on daily basis and multiple times a day for multiple months now. 

• Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    As a former software developer and still in the software industry, I can say that not all bugs are the same.

A fringe case where 13 green on the board using Elektra and fighting a team full of muscles where they had exactly 7 strikes out and... you get the idea. This would be a fringe issue and I would not expect my QA team to find this. To me, this is an acceptable bug and one not likely encountered by most of the user base.

A bug where one of the most common components of the game (a countdown tile) is suddenly doing damage, and obviously so as the screen displays -1 each time one goes off, is a complete and utter lack of any sort of quality control. In fact, the developer would be expected to find this during unit testing; this shouldn't even be passed on to the quality assurance team. Further, this would be a sev-1 bug that would be addressed ahead of all other issues as it completely changes the core user experience.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Cymmina said:
    Yes, and you also control the hardware and everything else required for operations of your software.  When you do application development that has to work on multiple platforms and depends on praying that AMD's latest driver doesn't have a bug that makes your app crash, come back and talk.

I'm a developer, too, but I'm not arrogant enough to think I know what's a reasonable time frame for bug fixes.
    thanks for trying to fan the flames. I never once tried to attack you personally, but somehow you felt like indirectly calling me arrogant. It could have been very easy to explain your thoughts without ever turning it back on me, but that's just not the kind of person you are, eh? Ahhh, the bravado of online forums.

in case you are wondering, I work for an OEM. That means that, no, you are wrong, I do not control the hardware. I maybe did have control at one point, but the instant I sell it to my customer, it is out of my hands. Just as Dell or any other computer manufacturer, the instant the machine leaves my building, the customer takes control of it. If something goes wrong 3 years down the road, I get to charge for my work... but I still need to figure out and fix things immediately. Nevermind the fact that some of the projects I work on predate my entire professional career, so the hardware was manufactured, programmed, and sold while I was still in high school. But please, tell me how I am supposed to still control that hardware and not fix bugs ASAP. If you are a developer, and you can accept that a bug takes months to fix, then I don't want to experience the mayhem caused by your bugs.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @revskip @aa25

Thanks for the feedback! When it comes to the "Board Drop of Death," it's been a tricky crash to encounter consistent reproduction steps for. I've posted in that thread just now to reassure everyone that the team is still trying to figure it out, and are not ignoring the community.
  • StarScream
    StarScream Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    I will take crashes over the check internet connection. It did manage to get better recently, but with the new screen, back they come. 
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had 3 crashes tonight alone.  All 3 board drop crashes, all 3 pvp matches