Do you build characters based on posted numbers?

Options
Wumpushunter
Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
edited April 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion

Do you build characters based on posted numbers? 45 votes

Every single time, I look up the powers and follow the most popular.
6% 3 votes
I have looked them up, but do not follow them every time.
80% 36 votes
I pick my powers by what I like and do not look them up online.
13% 6 votes

Comments

• Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's a great starting point, but I rarely feel locked into anything.  I'll try just about any build in combination with someone else if I think it makes sense.
  • Jesus Jones
    Jesus Jones Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I am a lemming....
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I voted for: I have looked them up, but do not follow them every time.

I want to thank everyone who suggests a "best build" and also gives their reasoning. I will usually build/rebuild characters based on the team I have them on. But its ALWAYS nice to see how other people do it because it usually shows me a team combo I haven't tried and gives me another fun team to use. 

I really do appreciate it!

Today I champed Wasp, and looked at her character discussion, because until I hit 13 covers she sat at level 70 and was only used when I was forced to. I didn't even have an idea of how to build her. 3/5/5 seemed the way to go (I don't want to turn strike tiles into protects) but I saw merits to a few different builds. From that post, I learned she might be fun to use, especially with some of the other 4* I've got champed, and probably as a 5/3/5.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Also there are some characters out there who have different builds for different situations, and some where practically every build is reasonable a lot of the time. The best build polls don't tell the whole story. 
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm probably the exception here, but I don't care too much about beating other players. For me, it's more about having the characters that I love in my team and getting to use them for something. It's why it bothers me a bit that older characters aren't getting any more attention. I'd rather have more covers for Winter Soldier than a million new Agent Venom covers.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I look them up too see, but generally go off of the situation. For instance, every site says prof x is best as a 5/3/5. But honestly, how many 5 combos do you make in a match? Pair prof x with punisher and daken as a 3/5/5 and he does some work. 
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I build to the first 13 covers then champ ASAP so I can respec as needed. If I can't champ right away, they are stuck in whatever order the covers came. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have looked up best builds, but mostly I go for synergy with teammates, and that changes based on who is boosted and the opponent. For example, I change up Nova A LOT based on how his teammates utilize red, black, and yellow. 

At first, I thought it would be too much of a pain to constantly be changing builds, but I've gotten used to it. 
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'll start out with the best builds, but usually adapt once I get to know a character through actual gameplay. Usually, I don't touch a character until they're champed and sometimes not until they're champ boosted.