food for thought

Options
morgue427
morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
has anyone considered how useless these new planewalkers will be if they keep going with the fabricate mechanic and ditch the energize mechanic? i know it was split pretty evenly between colors with green getting a good bit of both and white almost none of either meaning you had to use colorless to make up the difference on weak colors, i am concerned that if they do it will make the new ones mostly unusable, any thoughts?

Comments

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The mechanics used in this game are translations of the ones appearing in the current MTG sets. Fabricate is not in Amonkhet, and thus will not appear in PQ.

• morgue427
    Options
    i hadnt seen enough of the new set to be sure but got thinking about it and was cocerned, curious about how the new ones will work though. thank madwren helped save what little sanity i had. was saving it for a special day to lose lol
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    Options
    madwren said:
    The mechanics used in this game are translations of the ones appearing in the current MTG sets. Fabricate is not in Amonkhet, and thus will not appear in PQ.

This is what has me (very) cautiously optimistic about Amonkhet. The whole set in the paper version is focused on getting stuff into or out of the graveyard. I think that if they don't dork it up, the translation to PQ could be pretty cool. But we've seen major flops in the past, so again, I'm not holding my breath....
  • morgue427
    Options
    are we talking asbout the same people making the cards into pq versions? lol
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Matthew said:
    This is what has me (very) cautiously optimistic about Amonkhet. The whole set in the paper version is focused on getting stuff into or out of the graveyard. I think that if they don't dork it up, the translation to PQ could be pretty cool. But we've seen major flops in the past, so again, I'm not holding my breath....
    The problem is that they don't want to acknowledge the existance of the graveyard to new players. Or, indeed, to old players, we have to explain it to each other; there are always people asking where the hell those 4 Prized Amalgams come from on FB or Slack. I reckon graveyard functionality will be stripped from the new mechanics.
  • morgue427
    Options
    am curious about white zombies honestly and what we can do with them would be fun to see gisela get nuked only to come back next round as a zombie ;-)
  • shteev
    Options
    morgue427 said:
    am curious about white zombies honestly and what we can do with them would be fun to see gisela get nuked only to come back next round as a zombie ;-)
    It'd be nice if they thought some way around the white zombies in AKH currently not being usable with L2 (and L3, if she turns out to be zombie based as well).
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,935 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Maybe we'll see some colorless zombies? 
  • morgue427
    Options
    we will see but seems it turns them into white zombies so perhaps kill one of their and you bring it back on your side it just becomes a white zombie after? would be nice to war pig some chump that tries to do you in lol
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    shteev said:
    Matthew said:
    The problem is that they don't want to acknowledge the existance of the graveyard to new players. Or, indeed, to old players, we have to explain it to each other; there are always people asking where the tinykitty those 4 Prized Amalgams come from on FB or Slack. I reckon graveyard functionality will be stripped from the new mechanics.
    Or in your case 4 Phoenix's-- sidenote -- don't use discard against red Haste decks ;)
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    shteev said:
    Matthew said:
    The problem is that they don't want to acknowledge the existance of the graveyard to new players. Or, indeed, to old players, we have to explain it to each other; there are always people asking where the tinykitty those 4 Prized Amalgams come from on FB or Slack. I reckon graveyard functionality will be stripped from the new mechanics.
    Well, I seem to remember that in a thread once a dev said something to the likes of "We're talking about making the graveyard visible/accessible" or something. Doesn't have to mean anything but at least it was on their radar once and if they have any idea for creating interesting new content, this should be on their list for a(nother) graveyard-themed set.
  • AngelForge
    AngelForge Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    "White zombies" are ghosts, aren't they?
  • Matthew
    Options
    No, they're zombies. Ghosts are spirits; they're incorporeal. A zombie is flesh reincarnate, which is basically what a mummy is. It has been stated by Mark Rosewater that these particular zombies are the MtG version of mummies because the theme here is so heavily influenced by Egyptian mythology.

Also, there are two breeds of zombie here. The white zombie that is being referenced is white because it comes from the meticulous, orderly, and ritualistic aspect of the traditional mummification process from ancient Egypt. Overall it is a very 'white' process. The zombies that exist outside of the city on Amonkhet are black because they are corrupted, decayed, and death-ridden, much like the typical MtG zombie has been up to this point.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Matthew said:
    No, they're zombies. Ghosts are spirits; they're incorporeal. A zombie is flesh reincarnate, which is basically what a mummy is. It has been stated by Mark Rosewater that these particular zombies are the MtG version of mummies because the theme here is so heavily influenced by Egyptian mythology.

Also, there are two breeds of zombie here. The white zombie that is being referenced is white because it comes from the meticulous, orderly, and ritualistic aspect of the traditional mummification process from ancient Egypt. Overall it is a very 'white' process. The zombies that exist outside of the city on Amonkhet are black because they are corrupted, decayed, and death-ridden, much like the typical MtG zombie has been up to this point.
    Actually....

There are three breeds of zombies in MTG. The third are blue zombies that are a product of scientific reanimatuon of dead flesh, like Frankenstein's Monster.

As far as making them usable for Liliana, don't count on it as she can't use blue zombies either. Also about half of the white zombies come from creatures of various colors dying and then being mummified, so we will likely see them across many colors, but there was nothing giving creatures the embalm ability if they did not have it before, so there will be no zombie Gisela coming back a second time.

Since embalm was mostly a white ability with a few in blue and red, you might be able to make a zombie deck for Dovin Baan once the set releases. 
  • Matthew
    Options
    Oh, I didn't omit the blue ones out of forgetfulness or anything. But you're absolutely right, they're exactly like the Frankenstein's Monster type. In Rosewater's article, he said that they were going to try to steer away from them for Amonkhet because they didn't fit the overall flavor.
  • shteev
    Options
  • Matthew
    Options
    shteev said:
    I think you're overlooking the considerable evolution that the game has undergone over the years, particularly in the area of color-specific mechanics, themes, and flavors.

Also, I've never seen that card before, It's pretty cool!
  • morgue427
    Options
    "pout" still want a zombie gisela lol but i can live i guess lol have to wait and see how it shakes out