New respect for some of the newer 4*s

Orion
Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
As a mostly 5* player, I saw the newer 4*s as targets to champ and never play.  I'd get them and play them in the intro PvP and they'd go on the back burner.  Out of the 12 that are currently in tokens, I've champed 9 of them, but outside of Carol and Medusa, I couldn't even tell you what their powers were.

Well, with Bl4de boosted in the last PvE, and Wasp boosted in this one, I decided to take them for a spin.  Blade's a lot like his 3* counterpart. He's decent, but when there's enough red on the board to start, he turns into a monster.  That green AoE is pretty good too when boosted.

I ignored Wasp for the longest time because she was terrible.  When they buffed her I still didn't care too much.  But now throw her together with Carol and Coulson and they're a wrecking machine.  Even with 5* scaling, I could take out the team on her essential node pretty easily.  Her black is a really good nuke with a decent stun attached.

So who did you ignore for the longest time and then realize they were pretty good?

Comments

• SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like Wasp with C4rol and Falcon...that may change after the Countdown Bug is fixed but it won't stop Carol from Strengthening tiles every time Wasp's countdown pops
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I ignored cage for quite some time, but have learned to aporeciate his yellow more recently (not that he is carol/medusa tier).

I am pretty sure i would have a similar appreciation for WM's quirky CD mechanics if i could champ him.  But at 5/2/4 and in the vault, i think it will be a long time before i can do that.  
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yup, Cage was another one that I realized was pretty good when boosted.  None of them are Carol/Medusa level, but they have their uses.

And my War Machine is 5/4/3, so I know how you feel.  He's the only vaulted character that I wasn't able to champ.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Bl4de for me too.  The day before vaulting went live I chose to champ Flaptain over Bl4de mainly due to his niche ability to accelerate CDs.  Boy did that turn out to be a mistake.  Once vaulting went into effect Bl4de just always seemed to be the guy that I had the fewest covers for and would get sold off, but now I have him champed and try to use him whenever he is boosted.  I make a point to get as many 4*s out for a spin whenever they are boosted just to have a little variety and then also help me to understand their threat potential for when I have to fight against them in PvP.
  • Revelr
    Revelr Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Bl4de paired with Flaptain just ate people this past week. And now Wasp and Blad3 are just a recipe for hysterical hilarity.  I call em the Two Flip Crew. Yeah the name needs work :pensive:

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bl4de definitely. When he was released, he felt very disappointing compared to his 3* but now that I have him nearly covered I'm looking forward to champing him. He's still useful at lvl 70, same with C4ge, whom I also felt the same exact way.

The best surprise is Wasp though. I was flooded with her covers and I had just fully covered her when she got rebalanced. I was so thrilled with her that I immediately champed her.

Unfortunately you won't see anyone saying this about Riri. At least Agent Venom seems interesting since I tried him boosted.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had X-23 at level 250 and 5/4/3 when Vaulting happened took over a week to get a bonus cover for her

with decent coverage I'm starting to appreciate some of the newer 4's (Cage, Carol,Blade and Medusa)

but still not too hip on Gwenpool

already liked Wasp, now she's beastly with Falcon
  • Vhailorx
    edited April 2017
    I knew blade was red dependent but also potentially high damage.  What did surprise me is that blade + im40 cleared pve faster than rulk last week.  

I think he is still too susceptible to a bad board to ever be top tier.  But he is pretty much must use when boosted.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had the idea of using Carol, Wasp and Medusa. That's a nasty team.
  • Vhailorx
    It's a great team against ap suppressors like peggy or hood.  Collect some blue, match away medusa's CD, and you willbe doing several thousand poins of damage per turn in no time!
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:
    I ignored cage for quite some time, but have learned to aporeciate his yellow more recently (not that he is carol/medusa tier).

I am pretty sure i would have a similar appreciation for WM's quirky CD mechanics if i could champ him.  But at 5/2/4 and in the vault, i think it will be a long time before i can do that. 
    Cage really won me over in the last run of Venom bomb. He was boosted, but under covered/leveled, but he saved me a ton of health packs on those Carnage nodes. Threw in Medusa and there was no stopping me.

Also, agreed on Bl4de. I reluctantly champed him a while back because I just kept getting covers, but once I saw just how bad his red could be I was happy the game dropped me so many covers.

I also remember sleeping on Antman. I saw a low leveled Antman plus 2 3* in Shield Simulator and figured I'd roll them with Fist/Cage/SW and then Antman dropped his blue and he stole my attack and protect tile every turn for 4-5 turns and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

Between Carol, Peggy, Wasp, Medusa, Jean, and Quake I'm swimming in fun combos of all lady teams on the 4* level.
  • Alkyoneus
    Alkyoneus Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2017
    C4rol, Coulson, Star-Lord. Absolutely absurdly powerful team right now. I've got multiple 5s I use and they steamroll everything with very little effort even when none of them are boosted. When the CD bug is fixed this team will be a bit weaker but the buffs C4rol puts out when all of those CDs resolve are still really good.

There is a lot to like with many of the newer 4s, they have a lot of utility! I also used Bl4de quite a bit last week and he definitely had his highlights with a strong red board.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Everyone talking about Wasp/Falcon. Are you talking 3* or 4* Falcon and what's the build for each?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blade.
    I had written off his green completely, cause 5K team damage didn't do anything to 50k+ enemies.
    Then along came Strange Sights with him and Carol boosted... wow.

Although that might be more due to Carol being INSANE.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Blade. I had completely written him off until he destroyed me in Combined Arms.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Everyone talking about Wasp/Falcon. Are you talking 3* or 4* Falcon and what's the build for each?
    I would assume most people would use 3* falcon as he does more stuff that can boost the team's tiles and his tile production is on another colour than Wasp's flip, he's producing countdowns, tiles to be flipped and buffed and buffing tiles himself too.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bl4de paired with IM40 and Medusa is a great combo. Full rainbow coverage for starters. If you get a fair amount of red, Medusa's CD/attack tiles boost Bl4de's strikes.

If your board is low on red, just get Recharge off and Bl4de switches to Bloodlust. With a champ boosted, it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 6,000 damage to a random enemy every turn. A full Recharge also gets you to Bl4de's AoE right away, which includes true heal for him. 
  • Painmonger
    Painmonger Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    I've been really enjoying the new Wasp & C4ge + Strange/Carol/Medusa/Coulson. Any good feeds cage protect tiles, after you've got 3+ flip with wasp. Keep repeating that process & with strange you heal any damage you took, make another special tile, & start doing 3K+ every time they fire a power.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Everyone talking about Medusa has me sad.  She's arguably the best new character (unarguably top 3) and Inpull her at a rate way lower than everyone else. Likely won't pull her for a VERY long time as I'm in full-on hoard mode right now.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    My newest pleasant surprise was Nova. RNG was unkind to me for a very long time until I got the last cover I needed from champion progression level 183 3* Doctor Strange.  I champed him and he is clearly one of those that you don't see how good he is until he is champed and you can get his yellow and red to 5.