Petition to keep the count down tile "bug"

thedarkphoenix
thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
Some of the best features often result from bugs and glitches. In this case I feel like the countdown glitch is one of those things. its almost as if it was at some point suppose to be a feature of countdown tiles.

Pro's

it increases the usefulness of both Countdown tiles and strike tiles
It makes certain weaker character much more useful with certain teams.
Over all it speeds up matches just a bit, which everyone wants.

Con's (for players)

Pve it can be nightmare for higher level goons, but not over bearing.

It makes Goons that more threatening, you can't mindless match against strike tile goons. (more HP spent for those that do D3!)

All in all this bug is one of those bugs that should be just a main mechanic of countdown tiles, they are already hard enough to keep on the board so if you can mange to get strike tiles out and a count down tile to go off there should be some added reward. 

Comments

• BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    I won't act like I haven't taken advantage of it it my own ways, but its certainly something I worry about fighting against on a much more frequent basis than something I rely on using. Which is to be expected, given how you're bound to face countdown users in PVE, whereas its not likely that you ALWAYS use CD users yourself. 
  • CosmicWolf
    CosmicWolf Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    I have been really enjoying it as well actually, so I agree.  I used Captain Marvel, Blade and Starlord in Strange Sights and it was a ton of fun.  And going up against the Mindless ones in Strange Sights when their countdown improved their existing strike tiles was more challenging than normal, and I liked that.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    I too like the bug, with one big exception. Tiles that "pulse" like Blade's green tile (from black ability) or HT's green (Punisher black, Ghost Rider Red to lesser extents since they're 2 turns), imo shouldn't trigger the damage. To me it should be associated with the tile being destroyed as the CD goes off. 

In the end, strike tiles are already very valuable and I think this just makes them a little too strong in conjunction with some specific characters, so I'm not really sad that it will be gone soon.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not signing.

I've taken advantage of it and been hurt by it at different times.  It's too easy to exploit for ridiculous damage.  I also don't feel it make sense for a count down tile to do 1 damage regardless of what the move is.  So no, just no.
  • thedarkphoenix
    mohio said:
    I too like the bug, with one big exception. Tiles that "pulse" like Blade's green tile (from black ability) or HT's green (Punisher black, Ghost Rider Red to lesser extents since they're 2 turns), imo shouldn't trigger the damage. To me it should be associated with the tile being destroyed as the CD goes off. 

In the end, strike tiles are already very valuable and I think this just makes them a little too strong in conjunction with some specific characters, so I'm not really sad that it will be gone soon.

I don't disagree, but all the characters you mention aren't really that useful. Not bad but they kind of lack a real purpose or that fear factor.

Strike tiles and cooldowns are something the all actually do themselves ironically, and with the "glitch" all of a sudden they have utility on a team or as last man standing.

I'll still never be really afraid to face them, but I might think twice before just jumping headlong into battle or not paying attention to punishers green and shrugging of his black. 

Over all I really think the increase in battle speed and usefulness of so many characters is worth making this a permanent thing.

I feel like D3 actually lucked up with this as its a way to make alot of characters that still need a bit of a boost much better and while making none of the stronger characters OP or really stronger at all.

• beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    This bug is as beneficial to players as when Vison was broken and everyone on the team was laying down the boosted match damage when he threw down his blue countdown.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    As much as I enjoy its benefits, I want it to be fixed, so I will not sign your petition. We can add in a character that adds damage when CDs go down, but it shouldn't be a thing for every single CD at all times.
  • keitterman
    keitterman Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    I see your point, but consider that you know how this bug works, and can take advantage of it. It really doesn't make sense to anyone just casually playing a match-3 game. They could catch on eventually, but it would always seem like an unintended game mechanic, 
  • thedarkphoenix
    edited April 2017
    I see your point, but consider that you know how this bug works, and can take advantage of it. It really doesn't make sense to anyone just casually playing a match-3 game. They could catch on eventually, but it would always seem like an unintended game mechanic, 

Alot of things in this game dont make sense to casual players.

Count tiles doing base 1 damage after its finished counting down is on the spectrum of things that make sense. With the added benefit being whatever the effect of the countdown is.
  • thedarkphoenix
    mpqr7 said:
    As much as I enjoy its benefits, I want it to be fixed, so I will not sign your petition. We can add in a character that adds damage when CDs go down, but it shouldn't be a thing for every single CD at all times.
    Whats the harm in speeding up matches, buffing all characters across the board (No one is OP from this glitch) and while buffing npc's a bit also.

Its literally the perfect storm for everyone.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around why anyone would be oppose to it gameplay wise.

• Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    A bug is a bug and should be fixed. This will get fixed in due time.
  • AlluAllu
    AlluAllu Posts: 86 Match Maker
    I too am fond of this bug. 
  • thedarkphoenix
    I'll break it down a bit, one of the biggest and best glitches to date that have affected a genre of games is Combo's. In streetfighter 2 being able to do combo's was a glitch. They did not intend for that.

Can you imagine how different the series and genre would be if Capcom would have been like "nope" its a bug fix it for the next version of the game.

There are plenty more examples like this, but this stands out because it created a legacy and combo's "the glitch" is a staple of Street fighter and fighters to this day.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    *** Since this petition is essentially a suggestion to the Devs to keep the cooldown bug, I am going to move it to the Suggestions and Feedback forum, but will leave a link in General to link to it as well. ***
  • GritsNGravy
    GritsNGravy Posts: 114 Tile Toppler
    I like this bug.
  • thedarkphoenix
    Ducky said:
    *** Since this petition is essentially a suggestion to the Devs to keep the cooldown bug, I am going to move it to the Suggestions and Feedback forum, but will leave a link in General to link to it as well. ***

Appreciate it
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Or those Mindless ones that make Strikes. Never again.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Orion said:
    You need to fight some more Muscles to remind yourself about how annoying this bug can be.
    Fighting them (or any spamming goons) with Strange, Quake, Spider-Woman, Elektra, etc makes it much less annoying. 
  • GigDgee
    GigDgee Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    I've been a big fan of this bug.

Considering all the terrible changes to the game as of late, I would be very disappointed if they "fixed" this while leaving other, more pressing detriments to the game alone.