PVP?

Options
IronBorne28
IronBorne28 Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
I have been playing the game for over 2 years now and still cannot figure out the proper way to tackle PVP. After beating players with lower level characters the next round of players it immediately jumps up and that is when I seem to struggle. I usually play SCL 6. I was wondering if there is any real technique to placing well in PVP events?

Comments

• Square-Chopper
    Square-Chopper Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options
    Spend a lot of money on roster and shielding.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Aim high... be happy with low scores.

Sometimes I easily hit 1200+, other times I struggle to get past 700. It just depends on what time you do your runs, how much free time and resources you have available, and how much you want to risk by attacking people who are stronger than you are.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The only technique I know to place well in an even is to snipe it at the end (got couple of top5 finishes that way). But unless it's executed perfectly with out-of-the-game communication it requires luck and is more often miss than hit (that's why I don't do it anymore). 

Since you say you are playing in SCL6 I understand that you can't compete with the top dogs (multiple 5* champions that can go to 2000+ points in PvP). Therefore the sniping is the only chance to get a top5 placement reward in PvP. 

If explanation is needed - sniping a bracket is joining it towards the end (5-10 minutes maybe - just in time to finish couple of fights) in hope that it's not populated by players yet. If you join a fairly fresh bracket and speed-fight for the time you are there you might get the finish you hope for. But it's super random staff.

Not sure what is your roster but the reality of the game is that to score well in PvP you need multiple championed 4*. If you are not there - you might want to treat the PvP as a resources mine and not worry about placement. 
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's a pretty broken system, and you need to either have extremely strong 5*s or spend a lot of time on out-of-game communication if you want to place well.

Personally I just get the 4* cover and shield out. It's usually enough to get all the 3* covers from placement, and a lot less stressful than playing some nonsense sniping meta-game.
  • IronBorne28
    Options
    I have multiple championed high level 3* but no championed 4* as the 4* characters I have close to championing are all vaulted now so covers come less frequently for them. My strongest 5* is only Lvl 315 as I just do not seem to get lucky on my LT pulls. I appreciate the insight about bracket sniping though as that may be useful. In PVE I usually playing in SCL 7 or 8 and do fairly well, it is just PVP where I seem to struggle.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you're working with 3*s it'll be really tough. At least boosted 4*s are usually needed to not get utterly plowed the second you reach 800. My tentative suggestion would be to shoot for the 3* cover at 800, shield, then try to hop to 900 after an hour or two once all the people who queued you have bounced off the shield.

On the other hand, I know I basically look at 3* teams as free points and feast on them immediately, and I'm not even at the 5* level, so I don't know if even that is feasible. Placement shouldn't be too fiercely competitive in SCL6, though, so you've got that going for you.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Stop at 575 and ignore placement.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MMR (the game's matchmaking system) does a good job of giving you nothing but opponents that are just beyond you roster-wise, but with some strategic skipping you can sometimes find someone in range. Also, join the PvP event right at the beginning of the slice; like, the exact minute it starts. This will give you nothing but seed teams for quite a few matches and you can quickly feast on them for 200+ points. You'll lose some of those points (unless you shield) by other early climbers but it can also mean less grinding later.

Pick and choose your PvP events based on boosted characters. An event where you have the featured (required) character champed and two other boosted characters champed is going to be A LOT easier than an event where you don't have any of the boosted characters champed and you're using a the required loaner.

If you are in the 3-star tier you need to set achievable goals for yourself. DO NOT PLAY FOR PLACEMENT. The CP reward at 575 is reasonable for a 3-star roster. You shouldn't have to shield to get it and once you're there who cares if you drop in points, because placement isn't your goal. After you start champing 4-stars set the bar higher (800-1200).

Remember - build your roster with PvE, not with PvP. The progression prizes in PvE are just a matter of grinding and placement has nothing to do with roster strength. 
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I can echo Jarvind. With 1-2 boosted 4* you can get to the 4* cover with reasonable effort. If you don't have that, you'll have a hard time to get much above 700.

A 3* team in that point range is the best possible "catch" for me when I'm trying for 900.
  • IronBorne28
    Options
    I appreciate all the advice! Read the responses is definitely going to make me look at PvP a bit different now. Thanks again!
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Options
    As someone who just went through 4* transition I echo what everyone else said.

Build your roster through PVE - covers and iso are there for the taking, risk free.  This should be your priority short-term.  
    PVP - getting the CP should be your goal, I agree with not wasting money on shields.  You're going to get hit more than you'd like, and it's not going to always be the most fun.  Get your CP, make sure to get the season 10 pack.  Get what you can out of shield sim.  Once you break through and start catching 4*, it'll jump faster.  I expect 800-900+ per event with minimal shields/hops at this point (climb/shield/climb/shield out typically, first shield optional).  

The hardest part is understanding that you won't obtain that full rewards schedule even though you want to....each season I try to push a little harder.  One season I struggled for the 4k..within two seasons I was shooting for the 10k final award.  It just takes time.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have multiple championed high level 3* but no championed 4* as the 4* characters I have close to championing are all vaulted now so covers come less frequently for them. My strongest 5* is only Lvl 315 as I just do not seem to get lucky on my LT pulls. I appreciate the insight about bracket sniping though as that may be useful. In PVE I usually playing in SCL 7 or 8 and do fairly well, it is just PVP where I seem to struggle.
    Don't know why no one has mentioned this yet, but if you don't have any championed 4* characters, stop leveling up your 5* characters.  They are supposed to be "useful with just a few covers" - this is generally still pretty far from the truth, especially depending on the cover you get for certain characters.

You are increasing your MMR with relatively weak characters overall that are going to be dominated by the champed and boosted 4* rosters.  It also increases your scaling in PvE and makes life that much more difficult.

I have 19 champed 4*s, all of the 3*s champed and well above level 180 except Hawkguy and now Star-Lord, and all of my 5* characters are still at level 255.  I have a few 5*s with 7-8 covers, and I refuse to put a drop of ISO into them until I have even more 4*s champed and possibly more covers/more rounded characters in the 5* tier.

Of course, it's your game to play as you will and YMMV, but I personally highly recommend against dumping ISO into your 5*s at every opportunity.  Boost up your 3*s, get several 4*s champed so you have at least one boosted per week to help your ~meh 5*s, and then consider adding ISO to those 5*s.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As much as people say defense doesn't matter, I am inclined to disagree. Once I started putting my champed Carol and Red Hulk on defense, I haven't been hit remotely as often.

Defense matters not in "I am an impenetrable fortress" and more in "How **** long is this going to take and how many health packs am I using?". Both Carol and Rulk have cheap hard hitting powers that are unappealing to go up against.
  • ajfahre
    ajfahre Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I need some help on this topic too.  I have all the three star champions and 4 four star champions.  I can win the fights but I have a hard time reaching 900 because there never seems to be any points available.  I usually play at SCL6 or 7 and play in Slice 5.  I don't care about placement.

My real question is: Am I playing in the right bracket to get to 900 and then get out?  The top scores in my bracket for the past PVP events have had 2 or 3 people at 1200 points.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ajfahre said:
    I need some help on this topic too.  I have all the three star champions and 4 four star champions.  I can win the fights but I have a hard time reaching 900 because there never seems to be any points available.  I usually play at SCL6 or 7 and play in Slice 5.  I don't care about placement.

My real question is: Am I playing in the right bracket to get to 900 and then get out?  The top scores in my bracket for the past PVP events have had 2 or 3 people at 1200 points.

Unfortunately your roster level determines who you get paired with in PvP, and if there are not enough players above you you will mostly see low value fights.

As I understand it slice 4 is the one with the highest scores overall, so it may be Worth trying it out.