Is Story progression broken (again)?

The Herald
The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
I've done my four clears, beaten the bosses, done two clears on the wave nodes, and I've even done very minor overgrinding to green check the two easiest nodes.

Still no final progression 

Usually, this means whoever sets the limits has counted four full wave clears to reach final progression ignoring the fact that they reset after two clears.

Is this just another broken event we have to put up with?

Comments

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    The intended gameplay is Greenchecking to get all rewards and xp. 

The 4 clear thing is an average point they chose so people who lack one essential can still get full progression. Sometimes they are a bit off. Except in this case you are off. You only did 2x wave instead of 4x wave. It's not "do every node at full points until timer starts". It's "do 4 clears of every node".
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Broken seems a bit of a stretch. It is annoying though.

Still, the general lack of care in the game right now is abysmal. You guys want our money? Flipping earn it. 
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    We saw this the first time the event was run.....you have to clear the wave nodes 4 times
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Four clears for progression includes the wave nodes. If you aren't doing the wave nodes 4 times, you aren't going to hit progression if you only hit all the other nodes 4 times.
  • Uthgarprime
    Uthgarprime Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Some of the events they have fixed because they were requiring 4 clears of the waves at full points.  It should only require you to do 2 clears of the wave nodes, but some of the events have not been adjusted, I am sure if you are better at google searches you can find the dev post on this.  There was a post saying it should only require 2 clears of wave nodes.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Some of the events they have fixed because they were requiring 4 clears of the waves at full points.  It should only require you to do 2 clears of the wave nodes, but some of the events have not been adjusted, I am sure if you are better at google searches you can find the dev post on this.  There was a post saying it should only require 2 clears of wave nodes.
    No, there wasn't.

It's four clears of all nodes but only two of the wave node clears are for full points. We have this back and forth every event with wave nodes.

Just clear everything four times. It'll take less time than grinding for no prizes, and you'll get the XP for the wave nodes.
  • Uthgarprime
    No there was a dev post about the points being calculated incorrectly in relation to 2 clears versus 4, that is why some events progression requirements were lowered.  
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Or, just get bored and quit, like me.  This level of grinding is pretty far past my threshold for what counts as fun or worth my time at all.
  • Uthgarprime
    Since none of the links work for older forums from old places, here is a quote from the D3 forum on reddit, in regards to the progression number screw ups.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQuest/comments/5b5u2o/update_regarding_progression_levels_in_enemy_of/
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since none of the links work for older forums from old places, here is a quote from the D3 forum on reddit, in regards to the progression number screw ups.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelPuzzleQuest/comments/5b5u2o/update_regarding_progression_levels_in_enemy_of/
    That quote was related to them screwing up and not factoring in wave regression after two clears.  It was not a statement that 2 clears should be sufficient.  This was cleared by the devs on discord after.

EotS I think was fixed to be 2 waves, but Strange Sights clearly hasn't been, and anyone who has read the threads on the previous Strange Sights runs should know by now it takes 4x wave nodes.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    It's supposed to be you clear each node until they no longer give full points.

Requiring four full point clears, which is impossible in 24 hour subs, is very wrong.

I always 4/2 my clears. Minimum effort for Story farming. It's rare that you need to overclear the wave nodes past 2 clears and is typically a screw up on their side.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Every time this comes up: https://xkcd.com/386/
  • Uthgarprime
    That's exactly what everyone is saying, maybe it wasn't the best language, but like you just said, 4 clears on all normal nodes and 4 clears on the waves.  But they failed to take into consideration wave deterioration. Maybe we are saying the same thing in a different way.  But you just said what I meant.  That did not take into account wave node deterioration.  which if they accounted for that like you said then the progression should be lower. If their are different rules for different events I think the devs should be fair and make it clear what the requirements are. Since we know they could care less about 95% of us I am not surprised there isn't more clarification on this type of thing.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    There is about 37K points to do 6 clears of all nodes in final sub.  You still have a chance.

I did 4/2 on sub 1, 4 clears of essentials and 6/4 clears of main nodes in sub 2, then 4/2 clears in sub 3 and hit Progression on the very last node.  It's not impossible, you can do a little bit more than the bare minimum, it isn't going to kill you.  If you don't want to... then don't.  Just don't come here and complain.  I try to green check at least 1 sub just to be safe.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    JVReal said:
    There is about 37K points to do 6 clears of all nodes in final sub.  You still have a chance.

I did 4/2 on sub 1, 4 clears of essentials and 6/4 clears of main nodes in sub 2, then 4/2 clears in sub 3 and hit Progression on the very last node.  It's not impossible, you can do a little bit more than the bare minimum, it isn't going to kill you.  If you don't want to... then don't.  Just don't come here and complain.  I try to green check at least 1 sub just to be safe.
    Good to know I might still have a chance at getting that CP. Now I just hope I have the time to do 6 or 7 clears of everything. 
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    On a sort-of related question/comment, I've found that doing two clears of each node (and maybe four on the easiest ones since it goes so quickly) seems to be enough to hit the 4-star in progression over the course of a PvE. Does anyone know if this is the case with Prodigal Sun? I can't remember how much upward points scaling it has over the course of sub progression. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Daiches said:

The 4 clear thing is an average point they chose so people who lack one essential can still get full progression. Sometimes they are a bit off. Except in this case you are off. You only did 2x wave instead of 4x wave. It's not "do every node at full points until timer starts". It's "do 4 clears of every node".

No, that's just not accurate.  They have stated that 4/6 on all nodes is sufficient for max progression. 

The problem is wave nodes.  They STILL set prog for 4/4 on wave nodes and have never offered any clear explanation or public statement on the issue.  But it's cool, 'cos this game definitely needed a bit of extra grinding in PVE!

TC: go 4/6 in all regular nodes and 4/4 in all wave nodes to be sure of max progression in PVE.  It sucks, but that's the way demi seems to want to do it. 
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:
    Daiches said:

No, that's just not accurate.  They have stated that 4/6 on all nodes is sufficient for max progression. 

The problem is wave nodes.  They STILL set prog for 4/4 on wave nodes and have never offered any clear explanation or public statement on the issue.  But it's cool, 'cos this game definitely needed a bit of extra grinding in PVE!

TC: go 4/6 in all regular nodes and 4/4 in all wave nodes to be sure of max progression in PVE.  It sucks, but that's the way demi seems to want to do it. 
    The only reason they'd "need" to offer an explanation is because of the original bug where it was 4 clears at full points of wave nodes, which is obviously impossible. Outside of that, they didn't say clear to check marks, they didn't say clear until not worth full points, they said 4 clears, and they've generally done 4 clears. The only real argument to be made is that this goes against the way they designed them to work (i.e. if you want people to play them 4 times, you should have made it worth full points 4 times).
  • Megdar
    Megdar Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2017
    On a sort-of related question/comment, I've found that doing two clears of each node (and maybe four on the easiest ones since it goes so quickly) seems to be enough to hit the 4-star in progression over the course of a PvE. Does anyone know if this is the case with Prodigal Sun? I can't remember how much upward points scaling it has over the course of sub progression. 
    In fact, you need only to clear to the CP for the two nodes that give CP and then 4 clear the 3* essential, this is normaly more then enough for the 4* progression. On 7 days event, you will have to do a bit more on the last day to get the new second 4*.

I found this is the best ratio time / reward. You only miss 10 CP and placement reward, but it is really quick.