Making a definitive 1 star character ranking list?

Options
Unknown
edited November 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
Seems one of the most often asked questions from new people is "Who should I keep, who should I level up?". It can be very confusing for a new person because these one star characters are all pretty interchangable in their beginning stages. Investing a lot of ISO in Venom or Yelena because they are 'harder to get, so they must be better' is probably a common mistake.

I'll go first. Feel free to add your list or critique mine. Try to judge all characters based on their max stats.

Top Tier:

Black Widow - Low HPs, but probably the best ability (5 turn stun) of any 1-2 star character.

Middle Tier:

Modern Storm - Low HP's, but has the ability to return AP and deal damage at a low cost

Iron Man - Essential tank early on. Good damage output for low AP cost.

Juggernaut - Good tanking ability, tile smashing and high HPs with low AP cost.

Lowest Tier:

Venom - Good tank if you have nothing else. Poor damage for the AP costs. Needs a good 3 star Spiderman to be effective.

Hawkeye - Poor damage for AP costs. Doesn't return AP. Only good at countdown smashing, but even then you are using red AP that could've been used to launch someone else's nuke.

Currently useless:

Yelena - AP costs too high. HP too low.

Comments

• Not a bad idea for the newbies, but I'm not sure I agree with the rankings.

Iron Man is IMO the best all-rounder 1-star character in the game right now. Good, solid damage, tanky, and his most useful abilities aren't exorbitantly expensive. His blue (Freon Beam) is too expensive to be reasonable, but frankly, he doesn't need it.

I would put Venom at number 2, especially if you don't level his skills to 5. His web + Devour combo is lethal. However, if you don't level both his skills to 5, he can't advance to his normal max level cap of 40, which **** him [even further than being a 1-star with only 2 abilities]. Decently tanky, though.

After that, I'd say Modern Storm. Very good damage and color synergy with Iron Man and Black Widow, and arguably the best black ability in the game at the moment...possibly even better than Venom's Devour, which is sometimes too situational to be useful.

I'd say a close 4th place would be Black Widow. The stun is very nice as is the AP stealing but they're both very, very costly and she's very, very squishy, especially since she only has 2 abilities, which caps out her max level at 40, rather than 50.

After that, everyone else is tied, IMO.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Too hard as each have certain strengths that are good situationally, but I'll play along. These are based on overall usefulness, all modes weighted equally.

A-Tier:

Widow
    + Useful abilities and good colour selection that AI uses well.
    - Low HP and no damage.

B-Tier:

Juggernaut
    + Good abilities and HP that suits AI.
    - Poor man's Ragnarok.

Hawkeye
    + PVE king.
    - PVP peasant.

Storm
    + Best 1* abilities overall (having 3), including the coveted black.
    - c.Storm is better. If she didn't exist, m.Storm would be A-tier.

Venom
    + Good with Spidey.
    - Mediocre when alone and lowest level in the game.

C-Tier:

Iron Man
    + Solid all around.
    - Offers nothing unique and easily replaced by better characters.

Yelena
    + Good colours.
    - AP cost too high considering her low HP.
  • Are we taking into consideration the characters upgrades and other characters making some 1* redundant?

For example, iron man is solid, but is made completely redundant by thor.

Storm is the best 1* in a vacuum, but most prefer her ** version.

The 1* characters that still fit some sort of niche when taking all the other characters into consideration are modern widow, storm, and venom.