I don't like vaulting, but there is one big benefit that deserves praise

And that's the recent character designs. I love mechanics and finding a new utility to make new things work, and characters like C4rol, Medusa, Coulson and C&D are fantastically made. Compelling design and utility, fun to use, and actually good. So with that in mind, the only real plus to vaulting is turbocharging the path to completing the new batch, which when they become useable become super fun. It isn't just having them done sooner, it's that the recent designs are great. 

So kudos to whoever on the design team has put together the current 4*s. No idea what inspiration struck to make such a good batch, but you guys are aces. I feel most are the best designs ever personally.

I do still want to get covers for the oldies like we used to, but I will say playing these characters make it easier to deal with.

Thanks for the stellar designs.

Comments

• JablesMc
    JablesMc Posts: 235 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2017
    My L70 2/0/2 C4rol is crying fight now...
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's also quite a few terrible ones in there too...   So great to pull Mordo & Riri non-stop :o
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    I agree. I like the idea that Vaulting should allow the Devs to focus on game-changing mechanics that can be shared among newly released characters released to enhance their synergy. I'm not sure whether this has been totally intentional or a happy accident though. The new CD mechanic happens to make for good synergy. Blade and Agent Venom "out of control" mechanics are shared, but don't synergize, for example. In any case, the CD mechanic is good model for the future.

It's not good for Mordo that he is best paired with 4* Thor, a "vintage" character. Mordo needs synergy with another new release to be more compelling. The same goes with Agent Venom and other characters that haven't gotten much love at the time of their release.

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl said:
    There's also quite a few terrible ones in there too...   So great to pull Mordo & Riri non-stop :o
    Mordo is pretty awesome with Cloak & Dagger.  He definitely requires the right partners but is far from trash.  
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    you can think of the vaults as the retired parts of the game.  Sure its lame that you won't be able to collect older chars,  but they are essentially irrelevant in the modern game.

5* players have experienced this ever since dilution became a problem.  Thats why most people focus on the LL.  Mentally, we've already given up on the idea of covering old 5*.  

Keep focusing on the chars that you can cover in the 3 month cycle.  You will see your roster effectiveness grow through the roof.
  • GoldenArm
    GoldenArm Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    It is simply not true that old characters are now useless, or that we have already "mentally given up" on getting covers for them. Just look at how often Iceman, Phoenix and Red Hulk appear in PVP teams.

Why not have old characters in the "classic" legends vault. Or even a new Legends vault on only "retired" characters? And what is the point of having the latest 4*s in BOTH legends vaults?
    It makes absolutely no sense.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    GoldenArm said:
    It is simply not true that old characters are now useless, or that we have already "mentally given up" on getting covers for them. Just look at how often Iceman, Phoenix and Red Hulk appear in PVP teams.

Why not have old characters in the "classic" legends vault. Or even a new Legends vault on only "retired" characters? And what is the point of having the latest 4*s in BOTH legends vaults?
    It makes absolutely no sense.
    It's true that many 5* players have given up on the classics that they don't yet have covered.  The dilution problem is real and it's why you don't see nearly the same number of 5* Banner/Cap/IM/Goblin as you do OML/PHX/SS.  People were forced to give up on them when they weren't able to cover them due to ever increasing dilution.  It's not that they are "irrelevant" I'd love to have a usable Cap/IM/Goblin, but it's just not realistic.  Even setting them as a bonus hero is futile if I don't already have 11 or 12 covers.  So while they are still relevant to the game, they are irrelevant to my roster plans - they are retired to me, and I must now focus on the latest 5*s.