4 Star Carol Danvers Energy Manipulation Not Firing [Devs Aware]

Rick_OShay
Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
The original thread about this seems to have disappeared. 

I believe the bug happens when the enemy team has two colors with the same value. I.e. 82 in green, 82 in blue.
So, the enemy team Strongest Color calculation is depicted by the character chosen in the middle (tie-breaker) pre-match position. Say that's the green-using enemy for example.
Carol's absorption side of the ability can tell which emery color is 'strongest' and it happens fine, but the code for the AoE must be confused due to the tied values.

Moderator's Note: I updated the title to reflect that this issue is for 4 Star Carol and not 3 Star Carol. 4 Star Carol's ability is called Energy Manipulation to where as 3 Star Carol's is called Energy Absorption. Slightly different names, but big difference in functionality.

Comments

• Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Rick OShay Pardon if the topic had gone down suddenly, I had merged the original post into another erroneously. This issue is indeed due to the fact that the Strongest Colors are tied. When you first load into the battle, take note of the order that the enemy is in. If two of the opposing characters have a tie for the strongest color, the color of the character in front should be chosen. Do keep in mind however, if the registered color is switching between two characters, it will not display this on the power description. This part of the feature happens to be a known issue.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Looks like my original bug report is buried in this other thread: http://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/667579#Comment_667579

My original hypothesis was that the bug was being caused by a tie for strongest color on my team.  I just came back to update the thread today because I was affected by a tie for strongest color on the other team.  If the devs can make sure that a tie on either team doesn't cause an issue then that would go a long way to avoiding confusion for the players.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    It seems as if her energy absorption is not working 100% correctly. My enemies have yellow as their strongest color, and so do I. When they match yellow, I get the extra yellow AP from Carol's passive. However, no damage is dealt to the enemy team at all. It was working yesterday for me, but today the enemy team in the PVE of Panther, IM40, and a goon... I am not damaging the enemy team at all during her energy absorption passive.
  • TigerTeufel
    TigerTeufel Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    I encountered that too, this happens when two colours share the same damage output. In todays sub it's black widows purple and steve rogers yellow. Once you down black widow, the damage is being dealt again.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Some people on Line are reporting problems with 4* carol green in r125.  Specifically that the aoe damage is not proc'ing properly.  I have not been able to confirm this issue myself.  Is anyone else having similar issues?
  • TigerTeufel
    TigerTeufel Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Yes a few topics down your new one ;-)
  • whatsupguy
    whatsupguy Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Also encountering this with Steve Rogers Yellow/Yellow match up in this current PVE event
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agreed - got to be a bug. Could be due to another character on the same level. If percentage point decide which color is stronger maybe the skill can't pick it up. Needs fixing for sure as this bug is very annoying.
  • justplainchips
    justplainchips Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    I've also noticed it in matches without a tie happening.

Both yesterday and today I've taken Carol, Peggy, and Iceman into SIM against teams with low champed 4* characters and a level ~300 OML. Both teams have Black as their strongest color, as stated by the skill during the match. But the damage doesn't happen when the opposing team matches black.
  • justplainchips
    Finally got into a match where there was a tie for strongest color on the opposite team. Figured I'd post this just for a data point.

Carol's power said Green and Green but no damage was done when the opposing team matched Green.

It was the Ragnarok lightning round. I had my boosted to level 320 Rags, level 281 Carol, and level 281 Peggy. My strongest color was Green.
    The opposing team was a boosted to level 266 Rags with Green at 85 (in the center, should win tie breaks, right?), a boosted to level 273 3* Magneto with Blue at 85, and a boosted to level 258 Dr. Doom also with blue at 85.

People in other threads have talked about there being fractional amounts to numbers that are used behind the scenes. Is that what might be happening here with Magneto being those level higher? Even if that is the case, why does the damage check and power description use a different calculation to find out what the highest power is?
  • justplainchips
    Another datapoint, it seems as though ties in your own team also screw it up
    This is a match in SSim

My team
    center, level 281 Carol, black @ 87
    left, level 281 Peggy, red @ 87
    right, level 275 Wasp, yellow @ 85

vs
    level 226 3*Iron fist, green @ 84
    level 216 3*Blade, black @ 84
    level 280 Carol, black @ 87

My Carol's power says Black and Black, but them matching black does not trigger damage.
    Same thing if I match black, the opposing team gains AP, but no damage is done.
  • StreetPreacher
    StreetPreacher Posts: 54 Match Maker
    edited April 2017
    A different bug muddying the waters is the too many additional effects bug. I've had a match where I'm using Loki, and if the opponent makes a match-4 in both of our strongest color, Energy Manipulation will intermittently fail to occur after Mischief finishes.
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) passive ENERGY MANIPULATOR does not work properly since yesterday may 3, 2017.
    When enemy match their strongest colour and it is the same strongest colour of your team, the power gain AP for your strongest colour but does not fire damage to the enemy team...
    It happened several times in the node against Ares, Loki and Ragnarok where green was the strongest colour from both team ( I run Iceman, Carol, Nova)
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,168 Chairperson of the Boards
    Same problem as the above poster in the Rocket & Groot event. Enemy strongest color was blue so I make sure mine was too.

Enemy made a blue match and I got the AP but there was no team damage.

KGB
  • DarqFeonix
    DarqFeonix Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2017
    Running Carol in the current PVE after 126.1 release, and facing a Purple/Purple strongest color description.  Team matches Purple, no damage is given to opposite team

...eta: was told this is a duplicate, which I did not realize as it had been working for me previously.  But yes, looks like this is a recurring issue, so feel free to loop this in there.
  • tph_james
    tph_james Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    Why the dev needs so long to patch this?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,714 Chairperson of the Boards
    Almost 2 months later...just lost Lightning Round thanks to this bug.  Very frustrating.  Enemy team was Boosted Rags, Medusa, Carnage.  
  • SpringSoldier
    SpringSoldier Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    I just earned another cover for her and she's just starting to do some damage. I'm disappointed, because she's one of my strongest characters, but not as strong as she should be though.