Censorship.

2»

Comments

• Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Frankly, I mostle would like an official response with some clarification on forum rules.

No profanity, appearently means also "don't ever use anything that is close to profanity", using one letter of the word and filling blanks with *** or any other symbol is forbidden, tinykitty is just a filter word, but don't use it either and if in any case someone might feel offended by your post, it might get edited or deleted.

Just getting a more precise description in forum rules would be enough. Right now it feels like I'm walking in the fog, not knowing what to expect. Rules weren't precise enough, so I'm learning what I can do and what I must not do, by warnings that I receive after the harm is done.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I'm not sure how you could get much clearer than "NO PROFANITY."
    :rolleyes:

Define profanity.  I'm fairly certain there are words said in the game that aren't allowed on the forums.  Figure that one out.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    If the word would be replaced with "tinykitty", that's profanity. Good point to start.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards

Define profanity.  I'm fairly certain there are words said in the game that aren't allowed on the forums.  Figure that one out.
    Well think of it this way. Would you say the word to a child?
    Hopefully you're good enough a human being to not swear at or around children, so use that as your guide.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker

Hopefully you're good enough a human being to not swear at or around children, so use that as your guide.

Apparently whether I'm a "good enough human being" is subject to modifiers such as "whether i've just dropped a heavy object on my foot."   :D
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards

Apparently whether I'm a "good enough human being" is subject to modifiers such as "whether i've just dropped a heavy object on my foot."   :D
    I'm pretty sure I think DN meant at a child not in front of a child unexpectedly.  I have a filthy mouth and even I try to not drop words on kids that their parents will have to explain with a red face.  

Civility is important.  Profanity is also super fun.  Knowing the time and place for each thing is an art that is lost on many people.  
  • NMANOZ
    NMANOZ Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    revskip said:

I'm pretty sure I think DN meant at a child not in front of a child unexpectedly.  I have a filthy mouth and even I try to not drop words on kids that their parents will have to explain with a red face.  

Civility is important.  Profanity is also super fun.  Knowing the time and place for each thing is an art that is lost on many people.  
    I am the same. I just make sure I am not playing MPQ when around kids, the game makes people say profanities at times.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    revskip said:

Exactly this.
    I swear like a ....naughty person.

But I don't swear at work, I don't swear around women, I don't swear around kids and I don't swear around strangers until they've gotten to know me better.

I agree, swearing can be kinda fun, but there's always a time and place for it. It's very easy to *not* swear, especially when you're typing and you have the chance to stop and think about what you're saying before tossing it out into the world.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    revskip said:

Exactly this.
    I swear like a ....naughty person.

But I don't swear at work, I don't swear around women, I don't swear around kids and I don't swear around strangers until they've gotten to know me better.

I agree, swearing can be kinda fun, but there's always a time and place for it. It's very easy to *not* swear, especially when you're typing and you have the chance to stop and think about what you're saying before tossing it out into the world.
    Seconded. Words are tools, you need to choose the right one to use in a certain situation. There are so many other ways to express discontentment than just four letter words.