Skipping Thanos and Strange PvPs seems suspicious

Options
Orion
Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
I was looking forward to a Thanos PvP, but his turn came during the offseason and was replaced by Neferious Foes instead. Now Dr Strange's PvP is being replaced by Cloak and Dagger.  This seems pretty suspicious. Is it a policy to not have a PvP event that would lock out a 5*?  I seem to remember Patch's PvP happening during last offseason too (although that was a replacement for the broken DP one).

Comments

• Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    Considering we had a GSBW PvP last season, I would just call it a coincidence.
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Options
    and Sharp Dressed ran about three seasons ago, which is when I champed Medusa.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Iron man PvP just finished locking out my 5*. 
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    halirin said:
    Iron man PvP just finished locking out my 5*. 
    How could I forget that his PvP just finished.   :D
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well it's extra memorable when he's your only five. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think they are waiting a bit to rerun those PvPs to give people a chance to cover Thanos and Strange a bit more.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Why would you want a Strange or Thanos PvP during the main season or at all? Forget the "5* is locked out".. their events are a total healthpack drain! You would have to one shot Strange to avoid damage which isn't happening and you would have to somehow stun Thanos to finish a match without damage. Is that what you really want?
  • LFChikarason
    LFChikarason Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Options

The required character rotation on Lightning Rounds hasn't changed in forever, I don't see 3 star Strange, Thanos or Hawkguy being added to the regular PVP rotation.

That said, it looks like they're trying to get back to the (kinda sorta) rotation. Doom is making his return after being out of the rotation for SIX seasons, usually it's been five, followed by (possibly) Blade, Spider-Man, Daredevil and Captain America.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'd rather have PVPs for vaulted covers.

If they continue to only give out non-vaulted 3s as rewards, my dupes will hit 266 before I finish some non-vaulted 3s.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options

Id rather all rewards be vaulted only...  theres a ton of tokens for 3*s...  I don't see how vaulting them is anything but a detriment regardless of where someones at in the game...

If they're starting the 2-3* transition vaulting ensures they get to 3* scaling much faster but with far less options, missing out on tons of boosted characters (cause they're retired) net result being they get to a more boring part of the game (the 3-4* transition) made less interesting (less 3*s for them to actually play) but with higher scaling that just gets worse.  Basically the opposite of softcapping, which was only a thing because it took advantage of the way scaling works, this will, in the best case, force new players into poor scaling.

If the players are in 3* land it will just slowly shrink their playable roster, instead of there being 5-10 levels between their highest and lowest 3*s theres going to be 50+ levels difference.

If they're completely done with 3*s and don't touch them at all except when forced it simply wrecks all the champion cover feeding of the vaulted 3*s...  the champ rewards that are covers for 4*s seem pointless, or at least totally ineffective for progressing into 4*s if the mechanism for getting the associated 3* cover is gone.

so yeah, I'd be all for PvP rewarding only vaulted covers...

• ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Why would you want a Strange or Thanos PvP during the main season or at all? Forget the "5* is locked out".. their events are a total healthpack drain! You would have to one shot Strange to avoid damage which isn't happening and you would have to somehow stun Thanos to finish a match without damage. Is that what you really want?
    For Strange at least, bringing passives, a stun, or eating a single Flame when kicking off a battery power isn't too bad.

As for Thanos, yeah it is a healthpack-sink. Though not too much worse than Fist Bump or High Stakes tend to be for me.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This reminds me of when people were complaining so much about releases always lining up with holidays. Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. Despite d3 saying it's just part of the cycle and they aren't going to alter it because of holidays, people will still think there's some sort of conspiracy theory about it. Same with the 4* boosted list and certain characters quite often getting boosted only one event and then the offseason starts. It's just the normal cycle and they're not bothering to alter it because they think people might want to see something else.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Strange and Thanos can both be stunned. Strange can also be taken out without using a power if you bring a team that has passive offense.

There are many options.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    when it is an off-season pvp or a 4-star pvp, the 3-star reward does not "count" in the rotation of 3-star pvps (not that there is a strict order for that). 

Strange was pretty long ago though, so he should be up soon.  Just Doom and Hulk have been longer than Strange right now.  

Although I guess we will see!!!