What is the point of the 48 hour sub event anymore?

matthatter
matthatter Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
I was just thinking. With the "new" style of PVE, what really is the point of a 48 hour sub? It's not like the points refresh after 48 hours and you get 4 more passes at a node before the points start counting down again. It just seems superfluous to have.

I am of the opinion that on events that have a 48 hour sub, that sub should completely refresh after 24 hours so you get 4 more clears at full point value (not including the one hit nodes) or just get rid of them and make those 4 day events 3 day events (or 2 day for Deadpool vs MPQ).

Discuss, I would like to read your opinions.

Comments

• killercool
    killercool Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    In the endless grind that is pve the 48 hour subs are a welcome relief.  They mean that I only have to do each node once after 24 hours.  I could do with more 48 hour subs, rather than less.

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    When you're on the champing hamster wheel that is a solid day of missed iso (and intercepts for some) but is a welcomed relief from the grind.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    There's only 2 ways to get a reprieve from PvE grind; quit or death.  I suggest taking a break.  I farm the CP and that's a happy medium for me.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    To let you catch up on SHIELD Simulator 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I also agree that it's a nice break. I miss the added iso, but it prevents me from burning out. 
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Honestly I wish every single event had at least one 48 hour sub.  
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    48 hour subs are great nice to have a break and easy to get 6 clears for xp
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

I Think the thing about 48 hour subs is that the devs like the 7 day PvE cycle, so every PvE event needs to be either Three Days, four Days or seven Days long. Also, new release event can't be seven day events or Heroic events (at least not with a limited roster), so they needed to make sure there were plenty of non-Heroic events that fit the four day timeslot as that is the most common one for new releases. Unfortunately a lot of the existing events at that time had only Three subs, so they needed to be "padded" with a 48 hour sub to make them fit in the proper time slot.

Personally I have started to enjoy the random 48-hour sub here and there as they tend to fall on either Saturdays or Tuesdays, both Days where I certainly don't mind a Little extra time off.

• Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Some subs like the currently running Florida has an insane amount of one-time nodes, so it's nice to have 2 days to go through them rather than just one.
  • MpqTron
    MpqTron Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Like a 48 hr sub. Really helps have a break from the grind 
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    I like them for the change of pace, although I like them more when they fall on LR days so that the Iso hit isn't as bad as it could be.

I don't like the Florida sub, but that's not because it's a 48-hour sub; it's because it's a tinykitty mess.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's a day off.  Sure, you miss out on all those tasty intercepts (Sorry steam users) and other associated awards, but you get almost a full day off. It's like the mandatory rest period at public pools.
  • Khanwulf
    Khanwulf Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    justsing said:
    I like having a day where I only need to do one clear per node. It's a nice break from the otherwise constant grind.
    This. Not all of us have the time to do 50 boards and 4x clear, daily, day-in and day-out. I missed a precious, precious Medusa cover this past event because of family obligations.

Vaulting just makes the grind more painful.

--Khanwulf
  • Ezrius
    Ezrius Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    A welcome reprieve for those of us with jobs and families that can't bend our entire schedule around MPQ event times.

...especially if we have 4/1/5 Rulks, a particularly unaccommodating schedule today, and the tiniest sliver of hope of good placement.
  • bobby_2613
    bobby_2613 Posts: 83 Match Maker
    I would say, keep the 48h sub, only double ISO on it!! :)

(This is the only reason I hate 48h sub as I'm always in need of ISO-8. :( )
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Reduces the average iso per day earned so it isn't the best.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    lol Bobby....that's actually pretty fair.

I love the day off from grinding - 2-3 days a month of 'easy' is very welcome, especially being in a PVE focused alliance.  I'm on a brutal champing schedule, so I need the iso desperately, but I need what little sanity I have left more.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    I would say, keep the 48h sub, only double ISO on it!! :)

(This is the only reason I hate 48h sub as I'm always in need of ISO-8. :( )
    I was just getting ready to post the same thing.  When there are covers ticking down in the queue having a 2 day sub makes it that much harder to champ characters before the covers expire.  If they just did double ISO on 48 hour subs I would never complain about them.