A plea for vaulted 3* rotation

pheregas
pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
@Brigby and devs

It's been more than a while now since vaulting became a thing.  I'm not writing here to naysay or comment on this system.

I am here to inquire if/when/how often vaulted 3* characters will rotate.

Since vaulting occurred, I now have 9/20 of in-token 3*s max champed.  4 more are lvl 250+.  The others are recent acquisitions and when I finished champing all my 3s.  At this rate, by the end of season, I'll have at least 13/20 max champed.  On the flip side, my average 3* level of the vaulted characters is in the low 200s.

With the current iso problem, combined with reward changes due to vaulting, making roster slots and duping 3s for rewards is problematic.  However, if changes are not to be made on a predictable basis, this means I should roster dupes.  

For instance, I have 7 covers pending for 3* Black Panther and he is max champed.  Do I roster him or sell?  If I knew when he'd leave packs, that may aide my decision.

Thank you for any insight you may be able to provide.

Comments

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think you are misinterpreting the rotate part of the original post. It seems like they will not rotate in and out but only out as the new 3* are announced (likely every couple of months to pair with the 5* release). At that point another 3* will rotate out. 

If you look at the list they have kept most (not all, but definitely most) of the top tier 3* in. Changing it to the currently vaulted list would be a big hit to the 3* transitioning players who would lose a chance to cover the top 3* for Devs know how many months. It doesn't seem like a planned solution. 
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magic said:
    I think you are misinterpreting the rotate part of the original post. It seems like they will not rotate in and out but only out as the new 3* are announced (likely every couple of months to pair with the 5* release). At that point another 3* will rotate out. 

If you look at the list they have kept most (not all, but definitely most) of the top tier 3* in. Changing it to the currently vaulted list would be a big hit to the 3* transitioning players who would lose a chance to cover the top 3* for Devs know how many months. It doesn't seem like a planned solution. 
    So a new 3* release every few months is ok?  That means we will never see any of the "lower" tier characters ever again, except in DDQ or as placement.  A better solution would be to exchange out 18-20 of them every season and replace them the season after.

Sure, eventually they will all be max champed that way, but that's better than half of them not getting their day in the sun.  

I also don't like the prospect of being required to roster 20 dupes in order to continue getting champ rewards on a regular basis.  I've already felt the loss of that for my upper level 4s.

And while I feel for the 3* transitioners (as I was one of them a couple years ago), they should at least have the opportunity to earn their required missing characters other than placement/progression prizes.  Especially at that stage, having a max-covered essential character is way better than a single covered version.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    Magic said:
    I think you are misinterpreting the rotate part of the original post. It seems like they will not rotate in and out but only out as the new 3* are announced (likely every couple of months to pair with the 5* release).

Haven't then been on a 4*-4*-5* release schedule the last few months (i.e. every third release is a s 5*)? If so and if they keep it up, and if they release a 3* with every 5*, then two out of three seasons would include a new 3* and the 3*s would rotate out much faster. I doubt that they will release a new 3* with every 5*, however (since some 5*s may be dupes of existing 3*s) and it looks like they may not be releasing a new character in two weeks, so maybe not.

I was initially concerned about covering up vaulted 3*s too, but so far, it hasn't been an issue. I probably only had about half the 3* fully covered when vaulting was implemented, most of which were among the non-vaulted characters and so far, I'm making progress about as fast as before (championing 2-3 3*s per week). I have only 6 left to go and expect to be done within a month or so.

Between DDQ, awards, and bonus heroes (I've gotten over 20 3* bonus heroes since vaulting was implemented), I am still getting a good number of old 3*s. Can't say the same for the 4*s, of course.

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Strang had a 3*, Thanos had a 3*, Black Panther had a 3* before, Hawkeye git a 3*. Its fair to say there is a trend. Not sure if they will keep it up or not. 

On the other hand you are right Bonus hero are good for 3* with elite tokens and decent rate in other tokens. It's the 4* land where they don't work well.