How do you like to attack?

MarkersMake
MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
edited April 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
What's your preferred style of attack? Gradually wearing your opponent down (eg via Blade's relentlessly building strike tiles), or by an all-out, unstoppable assault that takes time to set up ( eg. Red Hulk)? Or maybe by some utility method (stuns? Stealing opponent's tiles?)? 

For the purposes of this poll, consider PVP only (PvE is a different ball of wax). I know speed is a consideration late in the climb - ignore that factor, and just consider what kind of attack you actually enjoy using. 

And if it's different, feel free to post what style you hate to take on the most, too. 

How do you like to attack? 75 votes

Gradual
18% 14 votes
Big bang
62% 47 votes
Defensive/Utility (eg. Stun/tile theft)
5% 4 votes
Winfinite
4% 3 votes
Other?
9% 7 votes

Comments

• killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    as fast as possible so i can attack the next node and not lose as much health as possible.  i guess that would big bang?
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    I like to attack confident in the knowledge that as I develope my roster, champion characters, learn new strategies and discover new team combos and power build outs that the developers will reward me for my time and money invested by not **** me over with vile **** like vaulting, character nerfs and elimintion of taco tokens.
  • bob554
    bob554 Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    I picked Gradual. More specifically, my current favourite Shield Sim team is Medusa, Carol and War Machine. 100 damage in Attack Tiles, 300 damage the next turn, 700, 1200, 2000 etc :)
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor

I chose Other, because how I play really is determined on who’s boosted that week.  I’ve got over 30 4*’s champed, so I look at the (at least two) 4* characters that are featured that week and build strategies around them.   No “one plan fit all” strategy but it does help to keep the game fresh for me.

• JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    I think tile generation and buffing strategies are more synergistic and fun (early favorite team in 3* land was Blade/Falcon/Beast, later changed to Iron Fist/Beast/Professor X), even though I know they're suboptimal. My current go-to, particularly against annoyingly cheap and damaging Dark Avengers teams, is Iceman/4* Thor/IM40, which is utility stun followed immediately by nukes aplenty.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    In this game one tactic is superior to all others: self-accelerated damage.  Whether it's a passive ability like thanos' black or medusa's red that generates extra direct damage, orvpassive ap generation like medusa's yellow or carol's green, or active ap-generation like cyclops or rulk, anything that produces faster, more reliable wins is the holy grail of this game (where speedy, near-certain victory is rewarded very heavily).

So if medusa is boosted and rulk isn't, then i am a fan of "gradual" on your poll because boosted medusa kicks **** and will generate a faster win overall.  But if rulk is boosted, then i prefer the ap-generation into "big bang" approach.  

Defensive strategies are almost always worse than going for pure offense.  Offensives special tiles wax and wane in utility based on the meta.  With carol and medusa the 4* game kinda favors them right now.  But with the OML nerf and the ascendance of thanos and BB. they have taken a big hit in 5* land.
  • BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    I tend to stockpile until I can confidently fire my powers and wipe the opponents team.  There are few things I hate more than popping off prematurely (heh) and ending up with an opponent or two still standing, and me with no AP.  

I think this conservative approach leads me to take more damage than I have to, where if I were more aggressive sometimes and gambled on a more forgiving board I could maybe take out an opponent or two before they get powers off, maybe avoid that unnoticed CD tile, etc.
  • Maceo511
    Maceo511 Posts: 67 Match Maker
    I find Big Bang most effective to triple and even quadruple targets
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I picked gradual because I find characters like Ant-Man and Bl4de to be the most fun. What I actually use depends on the situation, though - I have most 4*s champed so I usually have 3-5 boosted on any given week. Whichever pair has the best synergy pretty much dictates my strategy.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    I'd select 'whatever works fastest' but that's not an option. It depends on the team I have to use and also what the board gives me. With some characters gradual + big bang is a great and speedy option...Like when Rhulk is buffed
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    "Consistent" is probably the best description.  I use Black Bolt a lot because he does damage pretty consistently while also speeding up other characters.  I don't like teams that are dependent entirely on 1 or 2 colors to be successful.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    My strat is usually stun and nuke, but it varies on who is boosted at the time. Lately, I've been playing a lot with Wasp and anyone who drops tiles I can boost all at once because it's fun to see high match DMG, too. Plus, the CD bug means I've been getting free pts off her steal tile. 

But, yeah, a lot of Peggy and Thor stuns plus someone who feeds (like IM40) and someone who nukes (like Iceman).
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    It may not be the most effective, but I do enjoy the feeling of saving up AP for a while, and then just wiping the other Team in one Turn. *** Iron Fist+Luke Cage, for instance. Or Black Panther+Kamala Khan+Scarlet Witch, save up until I can drop BP's yellow and then all three AoEs in one Turn.
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    I went defensive/utility, but I guess with peggy in the team it is also a big bang kind of deal.
    Im40, patch and peggy are my go-to team. The strategy is simple
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    I build up enough AP for a few moves that synergize well together. One combo I've been using is IM40/Peggy/Patch. Once IM40's recharge goes off, I choose the character with the lowest health and stun the others. Then I protect Peggy's countdown tiles for 2 turns. Once IM40 comes out of stun, I throw down a berserker rage, (another recharge if I have it) then a unibeam. Followed up by the 3 Peggy CD tiles and most teams don't survive.  
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Most of my career has been following the path of the true heal tank in Patch and OML.  Thanos is the big exception.  Infinite Power and Court Death are so devastating that I actually leveled him a bit and now I just enjoy crushing everybody under Thanos' might.