Devs: how you should interpret your OML statistics

DrDoMe
DrDoMe Posts: 97 Match Maker
OML is my only playable 5*.  He's affecting my scaling and weighing down my gameplay.  I hate your changes, and I should sell him, but I won't because your sell price is a joke. I spent 168,000 ISO to get him to level 330 and you're offering me 38,000.  I have 6 covers and you're offering me 3 random ones in return.

So this is all preamble to say when you see a lot of people not selling their OML, and still using him, don't imagine that means we are okay with the changes.  Personally I hate them and I hate you for how you handled them and the only reason I haven't quit the game is the hope you're going to improve it soon.  If you keep screwing it up, I'm out.

Comments

• snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    That's why they give **** return. See, hardly anybody sold their oml for the **** ridiculously insulting peanuts we were offering so they must think the changes are great! Do we go after Peggy, Thanos or Carol next, guys?
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Only those who pulled duplicate covers and were smart even to roster said duplicates will be selling him. 
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    The statistics were not lying he was being used more than anyone for a very long time.  And people who had him with even 1 yellow cover had a marked advantage over anyone who didn't in that they didn't need to spend other resources the way someone without him would.  

The problem lies squarely in the terrible exchange rate they had for selling him.  Should have been much closer to 1:1 for covers.  The ISO exchange rate was fine since presumably anyone who had sunk ISO into him got rewards while he was the true heal king.  
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    if only everyone bought more health packs before the nerf i doubt they would have nerfed oml. lol.  and if more people stop renewing their VIP sub cause of all the latest "improvements", they will find another way to nickle and dime the micro transactions.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    DrDoMe said:
    OML is my only playable 5*.  He's affecting my scaling and weighing down my gameplay.  I hate your changes, and I should sell him, but I won't because your sell price is a joke. I spent 168,000 ISO to get him to level 330 and you're offering me 38,000.  I have 6 covers and you're offering me 3 random ones in return.

So this is all preamble to say when you see a lot of people not selling their OML, and still using him, don't imagine that means we are okay with the changes.  Personally I hate them and I hate you for how you handled them and the only reason I haven't quit the game is the hope you're going to improve it soon.  If you keep screwing it up, I'm out.
    This is going to be an unpopular comment...

flame suit activated.

But in exchange for all the Iso you invested and getting a 1:1 exchange on covers for tokens, would you be willing to give back ALL the placement, progression and match prizes you earned with your OML?
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards

I've been pretty vocal about the fact that changes spoiled the game for a small section of the player base but if we take a step further back and review the OML nerf through a 'bigger picture' lens then you would see the following:

Offensively he has not been hampered that much. Also all those saying he's unusable now because he takes loads of damage..well so do the other 99% of the characters available. If your argument is that you can't use OML because he doesn't heal as well you may as well stop playing because that's the case for every other character. I imagine though you're not saying rulk, phoenix and thanos are unusable because they don't heal.

The truth is people don't like the change because now they have to use health packs on OML as often as they do with everyone else.

Do I agree with the change? No.

Do I think he's just as good? No.

Is he now unusable? No. You can still use him exactly like before, you just need to throw a health pack his way every now and then - just like Thanos, Bolt, Rulk...everyone.

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards

I've been pretty vocal about the fact that changes spoiled the game for a small section of the player base but if we take a step further back and review the OML nerf through a 'bigger picture' lens then you would see the following:

Offensively he has not been hampered that much. Also all those saying he's unusable now because he takes loads of damage..well so do the other 99% of the characters available. If your argument is that you can't use OML because he doesn't heal as well you may as well stop playing because that's the case for every other character. I imagine though you're not saying rulk, phoenix and thanos are unusable because they don't heal.

The truth is people don't like the change because now they have to use health packs on OML as often as they do with everyone else.

Do I agree with the change? No.

Do I think he's just as good? No.

Is he now unusable? No. You can still use him exactly like before, you just need to throw a health pack his way every now and then - just like Thanos, Bolt, Rulk...everyone.

My experience as a 4* player - I see no change. I am still more angry at the vaulting or scared about the inevitable changes to DDQ vault (i don't want to empty my 250/85 tokens on the current vault so every day brings more risk) and the Lighting Rounds update (can't have the Vaulted rounds there, so switch to 4* LR as a stealth nerf to Thanos is inevitable). I still use him as much as I did before the nerf (roughly 25% of my teams) and I still don't use health packs on him. He has 1 yellow and will get a second in couple of months to improve this situation. I've never used him outside of Trivial/LR seeds and it will remain the same in the future. 
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    JVReal said:
    The problem in his "re-balance" is that they really cut down his healing, but did nothing to adjust the penalties that had been in place specifically due to his old healing abilities.  They did not increase his health, they did not decrease his self damage... and how does a character whose main mutant ability is to heal... not heal when by himself?

99% of the other characters don't heal, true.  It's also not in their characters power set, but they have other abilities and likely bigger health pools to offset that lack of healing ability.

There's plenty of variety in health pools in all tiers to suggest that's not entirely accurate. Riri has one of the lowest health pools in the 4* tier yet has no true healing. Nova is considered to have low health for his tier as well yet has no true healing.

The issue with health (in my opinion) has always been tied to speed. The faster the character the smaller their health pool. You can see examples of this quite often. OML is pretty slow but his true healing negated that, in respect he should either have more health or quicker abilities.

• AtlasAxe
    AtlasAxe Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    Riri is a hot mess. There is no logic there. 

The trade-offs for health vary:
    The Wolverines are for healing
    With Nova, the trade off is speed
    With Hood and Loki, it's AP theft 
    ...etc.

This nerf and the XFW nerf both left their characters light on health. XFW being worse, of course.

• morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor

You're correct, offensively, he still works more as less as he did before, with a marginally reduced damage output.

The issue is that his value previously was in the grind of PvE and the PvP climb.  He wasn't top tier because he's slow offensively, but he'd found a valuable niche in the two previously mentioned scenarios.  If you had a choice, you wouldn't use him on PvP hops - again, too slow.

He's lost the PvP climb niche now - he's so weak on defense that he's now a primary choice to use when grilling, which confines his use to PvE only.  He's gone from being a niche mid-tier 5* to being in the same category as Surfer, 5Cap, and Hulk.

Again, the issue is the people who don't like the change are the ones who essentially only had him available for PvP.  If you had other options, like Thanos, Bolt, Widow, 5Hawk, or 5Panther, you would have been using them instead already, nerf or no nerf.  Now he's been neutered in PvP, those people with only OML are stuck with a 5-star MMR, facing Thanos/Bolt etc, with no good options to choose from.

• El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Umm...no one is mentioning the fact that all of his powers were compromised. Black creates weaker strike tiles, and all three powers do less damage transformed. Yes, yellow was reduced to 6 after transformation, but you still need 19 AP to get there. So he's taking more punishment while dishing out far less damage. Another standard Demiurge nerf-job: Use a machete instead of a scalpel.