The point of brackets in PvP ?

D4Ni13
D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
I don't understand the point of brackets in PvP, as long as I am paired to fight with other people outside my bracket. 

For example, I am #9 in the current Black Panther PvP. My goal is to take the C4rol cover, nothing else, but in order to do so, I have to fight people that I cannot find in my bracket, and I am attacked by people that are not in my bracket. Shouldn't I fight with the people above or below me ? Why do I fight with others, and what is the point of brackets in this conditions ?

Comments

• Screen Monkey
    Screen Monkey Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Gave up trying to understand PvP logic ages ago.

• morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    It's because a bracket is 500 people. Matchmaking is limited to similar rosters to you. That 500 person bracket is comprised of 3*, 4*, and 5* rosters (plus combinations of the above). If you limited matchmaking to that 500 people, and can only target similar rosters, you'd be hitting the same 5 or so people all the time with similar point values the entire event. Or they'd be shielded and you'd have no one to hit at all. With matchmaking across a whole shard, you're generally looking at a pool of up to 10000 players for targets, which sounds like a lot, but once you take out people with differing rosters to you, people who are shielded, and people with much lower scores than you, there aren't as many targets as you might think.

MMR hell is bad enough already with matchmaking across an entire shard without restricting it to individual brackets.
  • Megdar
    Megdar Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2017
    They could remove the bracket, but then they would need to figure out how to split the prize, and even then, you would probably end up with all the 5* at the top 500... The bracket split the power between player. It is impossible to have only 5* at the top (I see many 4* at the top 5 in my bracket)
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    morph3us said:
    It's because a bracket is 500 people. Matchmaking is limited to similar rosters to you. That 500 person bracket is comprised of 3*, 4*, and 5* rosters (plus combinations of the above). If you limited matchmaking to that 500 people, and can only target similar rosters, you'd be hitting the same 5 or so people all the time with similar point values the entire event. Or they'd be shielded and you'd have no one to hit at all.
    Well, after a certain number of points I always hit the same people 5 time in a row, like you said would happen in a non-bracket system. And you must have access to shielded targets, because then you wouldn't see attacks on you at all when you are shielded.

But the point is the system is kind of iffy. I mean I fight with you but I score with X and Y. What ? So X & Y score higher then me, but maybe they are not able to beat you. And there's no point of entering a bracket just to fight with others. 

I accomplished my goal, so I am not complaining, but I just think it's odd. Because if most people from my bracket are shielded, then I would know that it is a safe moment to climb... But no, you don't fight them, which is stupid. Just saying :-).
  • morph3us
    If you're only seeing the same 5 people with matchmaking across 10000 people, imagine how bad it would be if there were only 500 people.

The reason why you see bounces when you're shielded, is that shielding removes you from being able to be queued from the point you shielded, but people may have had you queued from earlier, or in their cache.
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 786 Critical Contributor
    How do you know what bracket you are in?

I wish I knew how pvp worked, I see posts on the forum of people getting 100 point matches , I never see anything much higher than 60 and then after a few fights I get 20-30 tops 

How do the shards work, I fight on all three as I don't fully understand the way pvp works, 

If anyone knows of a reliable guide for pop I'd like to know it. I read the guide near the top of the page in the tips sub forum but it didn't make sense to me. 

Would be great to finally get some kind of understanding as I'm in 4-5* transition and would like to start placing top 10 
  • morph3us
    edited April 2017
    Hayek's guide is probably the best out there at the moment. I was going to write a beginner's guide to PvP theory and fundamentals, a bit like my PvE guide, but that sort of thing is time consuming, and I'm too demoralised by the OML nerf to put the effort in, at the moment, sorry.
  • Megdar
    Megdar Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    D4Ni13 said:

Because if most people from my bracket are shielded, then I would know that it is a safe moment to climb... But no, you don't fight them, which is stupid.
    No this will not work with your system. They are shielded, so you would find no one except low scorer. AND, drum roll, you are the only one not shielded,  so ALL the low score would see you and destroy you and steal 45 points from you.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    maximum point u can get from a node is 75 i think
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Since the PvP system is rubbish, find a couple hundred friends on Line and ask them to queue and beatdown your competition when they un#

• Dalbok
    Dalbok Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    edited April 2017
    It would be cool if they had several brackets based on your rosters:

- 5* Bracket
    - 4* (5* Transitioning Bracket)
    - 4* Bracket
    - 3* (4* Transitioning Bracket)
    - 3* Bracket
    - 2* Bracket
    - 1* Bracket

So for the rewards your are competing against similarly tiered players.  They could still match you against anyone outside of your brackets like they do today.  

For the transitioning brackets, maybe that's defined by the number of maxed (or championed 3*/4*) in your roster.  Half of them moves you into the transitioning bracket or just a fixed number.

i know that's the idea of the Shield Ranks, but I'm thinking a step beyond that.