The horror of 552s

Jorit
Jorit Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
So at this point, with the bonus heroes, is there anything worse than getting up to a 552?

Odds are when you get the cover for that person it won't be the one you want. So then you have to sit on it praying you get another cover in the exact right color.

Meantime you still can't advance that character until you just get lucky or spend the 120/720 cps.

Maybe they just need to make selling a cover for 4star worth 1 cp and a 5star 2 cp? At least it would directly to helping this.

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't think bonus heroes have much to do with it, directly, other than that with vaulting, you have fewer opportunities to pull a 6th, 7th, 11th cover of a given character.

The 5/5/* build has been an issue for a while.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    I have a lot of 5*s with 5 covers, and it's horrible. My OML is 5/2/5, so I've had to throw away numerous blacks and blues reds.

My SS is 5/1/5, so it only has 1 red and is thus completely useless and would destroy my MMR if I were to level it up at all.

I think I pull more useless 5*s than useful. It's tough, because I can't level them up until I have 13 covers. Otherwise, I'll just get hammered in PVE Scaling and PVP MMR.

That's why OML is one of the only 5*s I leveled up and used... because he's one of the only ones who can stand on his own, with the number of covers I have available.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 said:
    I have a lot of 5*s with 5 covers, and it's horrible. My OML is 5/2/5, so I've had to throw away numerous blacks and blues.

My SS is 5/1/5, so it only has 1 red and is thus completely useless and would destroy my MMR if I were to level it up at all.

I think I pull more useless 5*s than useful. It's tough, because I can't level them up until I have 13 covers. Otherwise, I'll just get hammered in PVE Scaling and PVP MMR.

That's why OML is one of the only 5*s I leveled up and used... because he's one of the only ones who can stand on his own, with the number of covers I have available.
    But OML doesn't have blues! ;)

No, trust me - I understand. I mean, down a tier, to be sure. I've had a few characters who just cannot seem to pull anything but the same color at the 4* tier. My last four Peggy pulls before she left tokens were all reds, when all I needed was a yellow and blue (or even just a blue, if Captain Marvel can reach 223 before rewards are shuffled). Professor X has pulled almost exclusively purple for me. The blues I have for him mostly came from other sources. And so on.

Just sayin', that issue, whether at the 4* or at the 5* tier, existed before bonus heroes, and will continue to exist until there's either colorless covers or a reroll mechanic. It hasn't gotten MORE awful. Mostly.

I guess there could still be a scenario where you pull a black OML and then get a black OML bonus pull.

But other than that pretty specific circumstance, bonus heroes haven't really affected how much 5/5/? hurts when your character build is incomplete.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Yeah once people got to that level, I decided I was gonna bite the bullet and spend the CP if the situation ever called for it. I only make people bonus heroes that are 4/4/4, or some variation of 4/5/3. Of course in the latter case I can still pull a 6th cover, but huge difference between a 1/3 and 2/3 chance of wasted cover. 

Thing 2/5/5
    Carnage 5/1/5
    Hulkbuster 5/1/5
    Flaptain 5/5/1

Minus Flaptain, I wouldn't think twice about dropping CP on those guys. Carnage maybe not so much now with this nerf though....
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    BH mostly hurts because for example I won't set OML as my BH because with a 5% chance of getting an OML BH... then I would need to have a 33.333% chance of getting the OML yellow that I actually need.

So instead I have C5p set as my BH, because luckily he's currently 4/4/4, so any BH I pull for him will be useful.

I will never set OML, PHX, IM or SS as my BH, because they all have at least one cover with 5 power levels. So I can't set them as BH until I pull the right covers and champion them. Which will probably take years with my current pull luck.
  • JohnnyBlood
    JohnnyBlood Posts: 85 Match Maker
    My Luke is 5/4/2.  8 days ago I got Yellow #6.  I was like, "He's in the current pool of available, I'll hold on to it, I might get 2 more Luke covers in time.  Guess what?  I did!  I have since opened up....2 more Yellows!   :|

Sweet Christmas....I got a little over 5 more days to get 2 more Lukes....probably going to be yellow... :p
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/5/?

Is the worst. It'll be forever and a day til I finish off Lthor or X23. Forget putting them as favorites since that system is far too rare to waste on the dupe cover chance.
  • Revelr
    Revelr Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Yeah that truly sucks. Its why I try to keep a 120 cp bank. If I ever pull an unusable cover i just bite the bullet and spend 6 Classic to gain a champion and one LT pull. lol
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I had Carol at 1/5/5. But she's still in covers, so with bonus heroes and luck, I got her champed within the two weeks after getting her 6th yellow. One of the last two black I needed was a bonus.

But my Thor is 1/4/5, plus Storm and Kamala are gonna give a yellow soon, so she'll be 1/6/5.
    Bucky is 2/5/5, only because his purple was pvp 900 and 3* cap just got me his red. Forget bonus heroes, you should only rely on champ rewards and progression rewards for 4*s, if they happen to line up.

I don't have 5 for any 5* cover, so I don't have to worry about that yet.
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    My Luke is 5/4/2.  8 days ago I got Yellow #6.  I was like, "He's in the current pool of available, I'll hold on to it, I might get 2 more Luke covers in time.  Guess what?  I did!  I have since opened up....2 more Yellows!   :|

Sweet Christmas....I got a little over 5 more days to get 2 more Lukes....probably going to be yellow... :p
    Sympathies from the owner of a 11/1/4 C4ge.
  • cooperbigdaddy
    cooperbigdaddy Posts: 394 Mover and Shaker
    Someone suggested making the bonus heroes able to pick a specific color when "hearting" them. I completely agree!
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Someone suggested making the bonus heroes able to pick a specific color when "hearting" them. I completely agree!
    I was literally about to suggest exactly that.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    i got a 5/0/5 phoenix. i'd like 5/2/5. at least i could use her.